When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Everyone, as we continue this discussion, please remember that Bruce B. is not responsible for the decisions to sell any files at HDTracks. He has made clear the extent of his function with the vendor(s) of high-res files. He is therefore "harmless" in terms of any disputes arising over the validity of files sold there. He is also not responsible for remediation for any disputes.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee, well said. I know Bruce for a long time and he does exactly what he is hired to do. His communication is excellent and he really leaves no stone unturned.

The people questioning Bruce's credibility need to find someone else to attack.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Lee, well said. I know Bruce for a long time and he does exactly what he is hired to do. His communication is excellent and he really leaves no stone unturned.

+1

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Got a nice surprise from HDTracks over the weekend - a free download of an improved sounding version of a download I had bought much earlier - In Session with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King.

Looks like they are beginning to come back and address the issues. Hopefully, they will start replacing some of the other albums I've downloaded with the good ones that Bruce did for them!

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)

Has anyone done this here?

I want to make very clear that I have been extremely careful not to have done so, even though it was my credibility that was initially attacked.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Has anyone done this here?

I want to make very clear that I have been extremely careful not to have done so, even though it was my credibility that was initially attacked.

You must remember that there has been criticism from others outside this forum. These comments are not directed at anyone in particular, but rather meant to urge these detractors to research the issue in more depth. The responsibility for any "misrepresentation" lies on the shoulders of those doing the selling IMO, and it seems (from Gary's post above) that efforts are being made to rectify the situation. So, any perceived indictment by you (or others here) is water under the bridge.

Lee

Aqua

Nov 12, 2011
I guess when a company gets caught doing something that is not totally kosher, the finger pointing starts.

Aqua

Nov 12, 2011
Hum

I had a client who did some recordings at Puget Sound Studio and there must have been some grounding problem at the studio because there was a very audible hum in the recording. When this client requested Bruce to eliminate the hum, Bruce denied that there was any hum in the first place. The client then requested me to try and eliminate the hum which I managed to do. My client recalled that during the recording Bruce was on his hands and knees for a couple of hours, trying to rewire his system and eventually he controlled the latter part of the recording not from his console but from close to the switch box at the studio. When I spoke to Bruce about it, he totally ignored my question and quickly changed the subject. :confused:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I had a client who did some recordings at Puget Sound Studio and there must have been some grounding problem at the studio because there was a very audible hum in the recording. When this client requested Bruce to eliminate the hum, Bruce denied that there was any hum in the first place. The client then requested me to try and eliminate the hum which I managed to do. My client recalled that during the recording Bruce was on his hands and knees for a couple of hours, trying to rewire his system and eventually he controlled the latter part of the recording not from his console but from close to the switch box at the studio. When I spoke to Bruce about it, he totally ignored my question and quickly changed the subject. :confused:

What were you able to do to correct the hum, and what was causing it? Also, this thread is discussion about issues with high-res audio files and some problems with a percentage of those files. Why would you post your comments about Puget here? Perhaps Bruce will be able to present his take on this situation.

Lee

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

So Malcolm Gomes and you are saying Winston Ma (the producer) released a recording with a "hum"? My studio is hard-wired so I can't change any wiring. And you sir, I have never spoken to you.

Meditation on CDs

Here are the credits at the bottom:

Production Data:
Producer: Malcolm J. Gomes
Dates: February 25 – April 9, 2009
Recording Format: DXD (Digital Extreme Definition) 24-bit 352.8 kHz
Mixing, mastering and ambient soundtrack by Norm Sabourin for Aqua Sound Studios.

I didn't think Aqua Studios did anything in DXD.

I don't see Puget Sound Studios anywhere??? Must be a hum in YOUR studio!!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Alright, let me try to interject with a technical question on hi-res. I am a redbook guy...who enjoys many of the remasters that have been done. What are people's impressions of K2? I have looked into the Brubeck Time Out K2 and the Kind of Blue K2...any advice as to whether these are truly better than the most recent remastering jobs in the last 10 yrs or so?

Is the "32 bit 100hz" remastering technology really a plus that come thru in the CD...or a marketing ploy since it's basically remastering well...and back onto a 16/44 format anyway? Thanks!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Is the "32 bit 100hz" remastering technology really a plus that come thru in the CD...or a marketing ploy since it's basically remastering well...and back onto a 16/44 format anyway? Thanks!

32-bit mastering is just marketing. There are no converters that will output a 32-bit file. Most workstation natively process in 32-bit float, 32-bit fixed, 48-bit or 64-bit. But once you go outside the workstation, everything gets converted to 24-bit.
K2, K2HD and others are just processes developed by JVC to try and extract every bit of information from a file to get mastered, but then going to Redbook, it gets converted to 16/44.1 anyway. There are a few times we have worked in the higher sample rates even though it was going to CD and I felt it sounded better than staying at 44.1 throughout.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Bruce...i suspected there was marketing speak in there. That said, i have found remastered versions in many cases to be superior...presumably more due to the fact that the mastering engineering simply did a better job...as opposed to some technological break-thru, particularly since i'm at 16/44 anyway.

That is why i am curious about these K2 remasters of Time Out and Kind of Blue...not for the technology, but wondering if in fact, the engineer actually did a better job.

Anyone out there familiar with these?

Manelus

Sep 4, 2011
Thanks, Bruce...i suspected there was marketing speak in there. That said, i have found remastered versions in many cases to be superior...presumably more due to the fact that the mastering engineering simply did a better job...as opposed to some technological break-thru, particularly since i'm at 16/44 anyway.

That is why i am curious about these K2 remasters of Time Out and Kind of Blue...not for the technology, but wondering if in fact, the engineer actually did a better job.

Anyone out there familiar with these?

I have Time Out K2HD, maybe the best sounding CD in my collection. I don't know about tech, but sound is magnificent!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I guess when a company gets caught doing something that is not totally kosher, the finger pointing starts.

Nice 2-post intro...NOT!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
POSTED BY MANELUS: "I have Time Out K2HD, maybe the best sounding CD in my collection. I don't know about tech, but sound is magnificent!"

Alright...i'm in. There is only one way to find out, and i will say i would not buy super-versions of certain music. But i would do it for Time Out and KOB. Done. I'll post when they are arrive...just got on hificd...hope it arrives within next week or so!

Aqua

Nov 12, 2011
What were you able to do to correct the hum, and what was causing it? Also, this thread is discussion about issues with high-res audio files and some problems with a percentage of those files. Why would you post your comments about Puget here? Perhaps Bruce will be able to present his take on this situation.

Lee

Yes Lee, I was able to correct it. When I asked what caused it, as I mentioned, the subject was changed. It seems like he has no recollection of the conversation. I confirmed that my client still has the master CDs of both, the original recording with hum and the recording (after I corrected it) without the hum. My client prefers that this matter not be discussed on a public forum. So that is the last I am going to speak of it here.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Yes Lee, I was able to correct it. When I asked what caused it, as I mentioned, the subject was changed. It seems like he has no recollection of the conversation. I confirmed that my client still has the master CDs of both, the original recording with hum and the recording (after I corrected it) without the hum. My client prefers that this matter not be discussed on a public forum. So that is the last I am going to speak of it here.

I find it interesting that you were able to correct something that you didn't know the cause of. If you found the problem, you would know what was wrong. Since you already spoke of this matter on a public forum, I must assume that you're not comfortable with answering my question.

Lee

jvm

Nov 14, 2011
I have several K2 CD's and most of them for whatever reason are better than other CD versions I have tried. You can find a list of those titles still available on Amazon by typing in "20 bit mastering".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks...good to know. notice its your first post, jvm. Welcome.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
HDtracks is a distributor. They do not have the tools to check these files as they come in. That's why they rely on us, Alan and ? to check the files before they are uploaded. We get in hundreds of tracks per/day. We can not check every single track.

Sorry to reopen this thread, but I joined recently and have only now been catching up with this thread. Just wanted to clarify something you said, Bruce, and this is not in any way an attack or questioning anyone's professionalism. I am only trying to clarify what is going on and being said. Anyway...

Do I understand correctly that what you are saying is that the distributors are relying on people like you to check the files, but that you don't have the time to check every single track?

Julf

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing