When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
All I can say now is "very recently"!

Can you comment on what the source was? Original analog master tape, or a digital recording/copy?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Charlie Haden's "The Private Collection" is on HDTracks in 24/96 (I know it was announced Monday, but I only decided today to buy it).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Probably the dumbest thing I've read over at "CA"

"Compressed, and by quite a bit. I won't be buying it on the dynamic range plots alone."

"I just can't do this one, based on the compression. Too much chance (sorry, guys) that what sounds "good" is simply louder. "

They're talking about the Dead album "Workingman's Dead" which was ripped from a DVD-A. This is what happens when you listen with your eyes. You miss out on a ton of great music! Such a shame......

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

"Compressed, and by quite a bit. I won't be buying it on the dynamic range plots alone."

"I just can't do this one, based on the compression. Too much chance (sorry, guys) that what sounds "good" is simply louder. "

They're talking about the Dead album "Workingman's Dead" which was ripped from a DVD-A. This is what happens when you listen with your eyes. You miss out on a ton of great music! Such a shame......

I have friend with excellent ears who has owned that DVD-A for a while. He has told me on several occasions it sounds excellent.

I can tell you NONE of the Dead remasters I own, and I have just about all of them, are compressed or are victims of the loudness wars.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have the ripped files from that DVD-A, which I will look at when I'm home later. But as Andre says, it's rare for a Dead album to be very compressed (although a few are) and I don't remember that one being compressed.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Bruce

maybe the question was already raised:

what/why is the difference between 96/24 and 192/24 transfers?
Frankly, it seems that I DO HEAR the difference, although 96/24 shall be perfect already, isn't it?

thanks,

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce

maybe the question was already raised:

what/why is the difference between 96/24 and 192/24 transfers?
Frankly, it seems that I DO HEAR the difference, although 96/24 shall be perfect already, isn't it?

thanks,

The main difference is one has been recorded/transferred at a higher rate. The reason you're probably hearing a difference is that your DAC has a sweet spot at one particular freq. Most DAC's do. Another reason could be that the file was recorded/transferred at 24/192 and instead doing it again, they just downsampled to 24/96. This could or could not be a good converson.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have the ripped files from that DVD-A, which I will look at when I'm home later. But as Andre says, it's rare for a Dead album to be very compressed (although a few are) and I don't remember that one being compressed.

I agree it's rare for Dead albums to be compressed (their HDCDs usually sound fantastic), but Workingman's Dead is not the original stereo mix, it is a remix. I personally think it does sound a bit too loud with no space for the music to breath.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)

Outside of classical music, it is probably the single best example I have come across where the higher resolution has really made a dramatic improvement. Plus it looks great to me at least by all the standard Audacity Cowboy criteria. ;)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thought i'd post a file of the Graceland album. What you have to do is to zoom in on where you think the problem area is. You can see the dip actually occurs before 22.05k. If this was an upsampled file, you would see a steeper cutoff at 22.05k and go below -100dB.

Graceland.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here is what upsampled files look like. As you can see, they both fall off the chart at -124dB, the theoretical limit of 24bit.
One file has been upsampled with Korg AudioGate and the other file has been upsampled with the Pyramix Apodizing filter.

AudioGate upsample.jpg Pyramix upsample.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Now here is what it looks like if you don't zoom in. You can really see a brickwall at 22.05k

This is why when you are looking at spectral graphs, it may become necessary to manipulate the graph and zoom in so you can see what is really happening.

Upsample zoom out.jpg

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Here is what upsampled files look like. As you can see, they both fall off the chart at -124dB, the theoretical limit of 24bit.
One file has been upsampled with Korg AudioGate and the other file has been upsampled with the Pyramix Apodizing filter.

Thank you for the very illustrative graphs. Just for completeness, maybe one that shows how a CD that has been played through a DAC and then a normal analog studio mixer and equalizer chain, and then re-recorded from the analog in 96/24 or 192/24?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Bruce,
I tried to install the dynamic range meter in foobar and it won't install. Is there another reliable way to measure DR? I like the punchy bass in this remaster but it's less dynamic than the original. I just wanted to verify what I'm hearing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing