When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Well you would have to go to PCM to do an FFT. So either way. At some point it was a DSD file.

Indeed - so we seem to be in agreement here. But just to clarify, what do you think of this one - I would think it was something that was originally a 48 kHz sample rate file, that got upconverted to DSD, and then reconverted to PCM?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
You would be correct.

Thanks for confirming that - so occasionally we Audacity Cowboys do get things right. I am just a bit confused as to your earlier comment on the same file, where you stated "I would not write it off as some upsampled file... IMO...". I am wondering if it is a semantic issue - do you consider taking a 48 kHz sample rate PCM file, upconverting it to DSD, and then reconverting it to 96 kHz PCM as not being an upsampling?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
The new Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay

Bruce, was that one of your projects too? If so, kudos! Would love to know which of the HD albums on HDtracks have been processed by you - but I understand that you might be tongue-tied by non-disclosure agreements. Not that I understand why HDtracks wouldn't want to let us know who did the work - as having your name attached to a project would be beneficial to removing doubts about the quality.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, was that one of your projects too? If so, kudos! Would love to know which of the HD albums on HDtracks have been processed by you - but I understand that you might be tongue-tied by non-disclosure agreements. Not that I understand why HDtracks wouldn't want to let us know who did the work - as having your name attached to a project would be beneficial to removing doubts about the quality.

Sure wish I could. I've had my hand slapped a few times.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Sure wish I could. I've had my hand slapped a few times.

A real shame, but I guess that is how the music business works :(

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Dolby Gets Into the Act

This week Dolby® announced that it now offers upsampling to 96 KHz as an option in its Media Producer tools for mastering audio for Blu-ray Disc™. Apparently, for our own good.

From the press release: "Blu-ray Discs premastered using Dolby® TrueHD with advanced 96k upsampling can now deliver to consumers a full-range high-definition surround sound experience ensuring optimum performance from today's advanced A/V receivers and Blu-ray Disc players. The new Dolby TrueHD coding solution enables facilities to integrate the benefits of 96 kHz playback quality audio into the final master while simultaneously reducing the incidence of digital artifacts introduced during the content-creation process."

The enabling technology was developed by Meridian.

Press Release. (via Engadget)
White Paper.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
This week Dolby® announced that it now offers upsampling to 96 KHz as an option in its Media Producer tools for mastering audio for Blu-ray Disc™. Apparently, for our own good.

Yes, apparently they have decided we want out 48 kHz content upsampled to 96 kHz.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
To stop another rumor from HERE..... I'm showing the FFT of the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds which are NOT upsampled files.

Pet Sounds.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
OTOH, Bruce, take a look at the SACD of Dire Straits "Alchemy"

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
I'm showing the FFT of the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds which are NOT upsampled files.

But doesn't it look like a conversion from DSD/SACD?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
But doesn't it look like a conversion from DSD/SACD?

If this was from SACD, you would not see a dip at 45k. You would instead see a steady rise starting at 25k and getting larger from there, with no dips.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
If this was from SACD, you would not see a dip at 45k. You would instead see a steady rise starting at 25k and getting larger from there, with no dips.

Ah, yes. Good point. But doesn't that 45k (or 48k) dip then suggest possible 48k source material?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Ah, yes. Good point. But doesn't that 45k (or 48k) dip then suggest possible 48k source material?

According to Nyquist, you would assume a 96k source, correct? But even with that, the signal would dip down below the -124dB threshold of 24bit.

I would say it's suspicious at best. I'd certainly would need to do more forensics to rule out everything else.

Last edited:

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
According to Nyquist, you would assume a 96k souce, correct?

Duh, yes. I clearly shouldn't post anything more tonight. Just got home from a long trip, and sleep deprivation and travel fatigue have evidently paid their toll...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Duh, yes. I clearly shouldn't post anything more tonight. Just got home from a long trip, and sleep deprivation and travel fatigue have evidently paid their toll...

Get some rest... I know what you mean....

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book...

Someone wanted me to post the FFT so they can "see" how it sounds!!

Track 04.jpg Track 01.jpg Track 02.jpg Track 03.jpg

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing