When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If you want to hear something that definitely is high resolution, check out the new Double Rate DSD-128 (twice the SACD resolution) release of Jazz at the Pawnshop.
Transferred from the Analog Master Tapes to DSD. Excellent - $30 at https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

I did this because curiosity got the best of me. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. My 2 references are the 30th Anniversary Prorius and the FIM releases which I prefer.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I did this because curiosity got the best of me. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed. My 2 references are the 30th Anniversary Prorius and the FIM releases which I prefer.

Ah, the FIM releases. I'd really like to see those come out as DSD Downloads.
I wonder if FIM has looked into that.

I'm sure one of the download sites would be happy to host the FIM releases in DSD!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Ah, the FIM releases. I'd really like to see those come out as DSD Downloads.
I wonder if FIM has looked into that.

I'm sure one of the download sites would be happy to host the FIM releases in DSD!

I highly doubt it. Most of us close to Winston have tried to encourage him to make his library available for download but it wasn't happening.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I highly doubt it. Most of us close to Winston have tried to encourage him to make his library available for download but it wasn't happening.

That too bad. But I'm glad to hear the effort was made. Worth asking with such a rich collection of great music on FIM.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Anyone have a perspective on the sonics of the newly released Simon and Garfunkel catalog on Acoustic Sounds SuperHiRes site? (Let me know if there's a more appropriate thread for this.)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Anyone have a perspective on the sonics of the newly released Simon and Garfunkel catalog on Acoustic Sounds SuperHiRes site? (Let me know if there's a more appropriate thread for this.)

The files on HDtracks came from tape and sound really good. I don't know if the Acoustic Sounds files are the same

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The files on HDtracks came from tape and sound really good. I don't know if the Acoustic Sounds files are the same

From one Bruce to another, thanks! These are some of my Wife's favorite recordings, so I want to demo something better than my old 44.1 for her.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Agree the 192 files sound fantastic.

Acoustic Sounds is selling the 100% identical files. That applies to 90% of the major label releases from both. I verified this with AS.

BTW, Alan Taffel, god help us, at TAS..claims he can hear a difference between many of the same files from both vendors..claiming HDT downloads
are "brighter" and "harsher". Gimme a break.

With HDT offering 15% discount coupons on a regular basis, I can tell you who my preferred vendor is.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Was ripping more SACD's tonight and came across something strange. Two highly respected labels, Groove Note and FIM, produced SACD's that came from Redbook! :eek:

These are compilation SACD's and you can see which tracks came from 44.1 CD's.
The top graph shows Tracks 3, 5, 7, 9, 14, 15, 16 taken from CD
The bottom graph shows Tracks 5 and 7 from CD... Go figure??

Reference SACD.jpg

Ultimate SACD.jpg

Last edited:

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Was ripping more SACD's tonight and came across something strange. Two highly respected labels, Groove Note and FIM, produced SACD's that came from Redbook! :eek:

I've got almost all of Groove Note SACD's, is it possible then that some or maybe all of them came from redbook?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I've got almost all of Groove Note SACD's, is it possible then that some or maybe all of them came from redbook?

A number of the Groove Note SACDs originated from Analog and DSD Recordings. As for the "Best of" albums Bruce mentions, you'd have to ask Groove Note about that.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

These are compilation SACD's and you can see which tracks came from 44.1 CD's.
The top graph shows Tracks 3, 5, 7, 9, 14, 15, 16 taken from CD
The bottom graph shows Tracks 5 and 7 from CD... Go figure??

View attachment 20467

View attachment 20468

Bruce we can't see the legend on the graphs. What is frequency range on the X axis? Didn't you say that many analog sources like tape would also indicate a lack of ultrasonic content?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Analog tape noise is generally visible as far out as the (digital) cut-off frequency, whatever that may be.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce we can't see the legend on the graphs. What is frequency range on the X axis? Didn't you say that many analog sources like tape would also indicate a lack of ultrasonic content?

The black line that I drew, is right around 22.05k, the Nyquest of Redbook. The analog source may not contain musical content above 18-20k, but the noise and bias freq. extends way past 40-50k. Let me see if I can make the graphs clearer. See how just above the black line, some tracks just go dead (black) quiet? That is a red flag for files that were upsampled Redbook. From this also, you can tell which tracks were analog and digital by where the noise (or lack of) starts.

Reference SACD.jpg Ultimate SACD.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing