Reference Recordings

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK, couldn't figure out where this post should go :) Didn't exactly shoehorn into the classical, jazz, etc sections. So being one of the t'table mods, I've taken the liberty of kicking off this section a list of some of my reference LPs that I use when reviewing equipment. This is a dynamic list and hopefully will be posting more additions on a regular schedule. (I also want to down the road, post those reissues that I think are particularly outstanding!).

Ali Akbar Khan: Master Musician of India Connoisseur Society (45 and 33 rpm versions) CS462
Ameniya: Summer Prayer RCA RVC-2154
Arnold: Symphony #1/Sarabande/Beckus Arnold/Bournemouth EMI ASD 3823 (original issue)
Bach: French Suites Thurston Dart Clavichord L’Oiseau-Lyre SOL 60039
Bach: Quodlibet Telefunken SAWT 9457-A
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata/Pathetique Moravec Connoisseur Society CS1566
Bill Evans Trio at Shelly’s Manne-Hole Analogue Production (45 rpm) AP 9487
Britten: Peter Grimes Britten/Chorus and Orchestra, Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Decca SXL 2150-2 (original ED1)
Britten: Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra Britten/LSO/ECO Decca SXL 6450 (original issue)
Cassandra Wilson: New Moon Daughter Blue Note7243 8 37183 1 3
Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman Island ILPS 9135
Clarinet Summit India Navigation IN 1062
Deep Purple: Live at the BBC MsMusic/Audio Fidelity MUS (2) 003
Dire Straits: Love Over Gold Vertigo 6359109
Donovan: Storyteller MsMusic/Audio Fidelity (2) 001 w/special 45 rpm
Johnny Cash: American Recordings American Recordings 5101 12792-2
June Tabor: Aqaba Topic Records 12TS 449
Mahler: Symphony #3 Solti/LSO Decca Set 385-6
Mallets, Melody and Mayhem Saul Goodman Columbia CS8333
Picaflor: Latin American Music for Guitar and Mandolin Titanic Mn-5
Ragtime Razmatazz Vol. 1 Mark Welch Wilson Records W808 (great for VTA setting)
Rashomon Carlton Records STLPX 5000
Rickie Lee Jones: it’s like this (45 rpm) Analogue Productions 51056
Power of the Orchestra Leibowitz RCA VCS 2659 (original SD issue)
Sounds Unheard of Contemporary Shelly Manne and Jack Marshall (original issue) S9006
Varese: Arcana/Integrales/Ionisation Decca SXL 6550 (original issue)
Yes: Fragile Analogue Productions 7211​

I'd love for everyone here to chime in and add their favorites so that we might make a recommended LP list down the road!

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
My list is in the Tube section under the EL34 review.

I'll Copy & Paste it later when I have more time. I know I left things out, and not quite the variety of yours Myles. Perhaps my quest for extremes and dynamics in the tube review left out some mellower classic/classical recordings.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here a few that I use to evaluate my own audio gears:

1. Carol Kidd - All My Tomorrows (Aloi Records)
2. James Newton Howard & Friends - Sheffiled Lab
3. Cantate Domino (Proprius Records)
4. La Fille Mal Gardee - (Decca Wide Band 1st pressing) SXL 2313
5. Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall (Vanguard VSD 2150
6. Beethoven - Appassionata (RDC - 4)
7. Morricone - C'era Una Volta Il West (Italian RCA)
8. Don Shirley - Water Boy (Cadence Records)
9. Music for Double Bass (EMI ASD 3264)
10. Dafos - Reference Recordings RR 12
11.Ortofon Test Record 003 (All music compilation by Orotofon)

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have many of these but must agree about #3,5 10

Most audiophiles have Cantate Domino in every format

Funny thing about the Weavers. I have a 15 ips tape copy of the recording and for as good as it sounds, Vanguard essentially emasculated the recording. Basically, Vanguard decided to roll off the low frequencies on the recording, conceivably in fear of it causing the cartridge to mistrack. On the tape version, one hears them stomping around the stage, etc; in fact, the first time I heard it, I thought there was something wrong with my system. And of course with that, comes just an incredible sense of Carnegie Hall at its best!

Now I don't know what the digital version of this recording sounds like in the lower frequencies? Anybody have it on CD?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Funny thing about the Weavers. I have a 15 ips tape copy of the recording and for as good as it sounds, Vanguard essentially emasculated the recording. Basically, Vanguard decided to roll off the low frequencies on the recording, conceivably in fear of it causing the cartridge to mistrack. On the tape version, one hears them stomping around the stage, etc; in fact, the first time I heard it, I thought there was something wrong with my system. And of course with that, comes just an incredible sense of Carnegie Hall at its best!

Now I don't know what the digital version of this recording sounds like in the lower frequencies? Anybody have it on CD?

the Classic Records 45rpm box set does reveal all the stomping around the stage; lots of foot tapping and amazing spacial layout of the soundstage. i've got the CD but have not played it in years. 'Guantanamero' on the 45 is a frequent reference for soundstaging and naturalness. the box set comes with 2 separate copies of that cut (on 2 separate discs).

i'd love to hear the 15ips.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have many of these but must agree about #3,5 10

Most audiophiles have Cantate Domino in every format

True. I am a Proprius fan. Kept a handful of them. Like Respighi's 'Oratorio Noel', 'Kornet Har Sin Vila', 'Kor', 'Jazz at the Pawnshop', 'Antiphone Blues', 'Good Vibes at the Pawnshop', and my latest find 'Mellnas (the soprano in Cantate Domino) and the Visby Band' performing Ellington works,etc. The last one is the only Proprius LP I know cut at 45 RPM. It's a beauty.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a Proprius fan too thanks to you. I find Opus 3 to be a very eratic mixed bag though. I had the opportunity to hear the Upsalla University Choir in Karlstad a few years ago and they were quite as good as their predecessors from the 70s. I must say however that the UP Madrigal Singers would pretty much eat them for breakfast. Come to think of it the group has won far more competitions, so much so that they've been suspended just to give others a chance. Now if only we could get a stellar recording of theirs..........hmmmmmm..........there's a thought. If I can't get one....make one.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm a Proprius fan too thanks to you. I find Opus 3 to be a very eratic mixed bag though. I had the opportunity to hear the Upsalla University Choir in Karlstad a few years ago and they were quite as good as their predecessors from the 70s. I must say however that the UP Madrigal Singers would pretty much eat them for breakfast. Come to think of it the group has won far more competitions, so much so that they've been suspended just to give others a chance. Now if only we could get a stellar recording of theirs..........hmmmmmm..........there's a thought. If I can't get one....make one.

Modded Revox B77 at work :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

I like a few of the Opus 3s but as a whole they sound a little dry. I also think that they are out of absolute phase and adjusting that can clean up the sound.

I particularly like Opus 3s four test records (that if memory serves correctly may be in opposite polarity to the original release) plus the Eric Bibb, Bert Deivert and Cyndee Peters recordings.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I particularly like Opus 3s four test records (that if memory serves correctly may be in opposite polarity to the original release) plus the Eric Bibb, Bert Deivert and Cyndee Peters recordings.

I have all of those. Ron Party got me buying Eric Bibb albums on Telarc label

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

My pleasure, Jack. I'm always gratified to have friends appreciate what I appreciate. It's like an affirmation of my small value judgement in music. And I agree, though there are some great music in Opus 3's catalog, they're quite inconsistent from album to album, and I do have a few that I like. Particularly Thomas Ornberg's "Blues Five" and Cydee Peter's "Black is the Color". About a recording of the UP Madrigal Singers...Absolutely, we got to make one if we can't find one.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like a few of the Opus 3s but as a whole they sound a little dry. I also think that they are out of absolute phase and adjusting that can clean up the sound.

Dry. That's the word. I heard that comment from another friend here too. Though the imaging qualities of their recordings are excellent. Like on "Maytan and Friends".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing