Anyone go to Driving School

caesar

May 30, 2010
BMW has one in South Carolina. Audi has one in CA. Has anyone done it? What's it like it?

Did you learn anything or is it just about marketing and creating excitement?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My brother (SLS) and I (C63) are qualified to attend the AMG school in Germany but we're asking the local MB dealer if we can avail of the AMG school in Laguna Seca instead. The pull of Pebble Beach and Spyglass Hill is even stronger than the pull of the Corkscrew. We're hoping to go next year.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It just arrived last week. I'm jealous too! He even had custom red stitching done to match the paint job. Being in the US, I believe you (and your son) are definitely qualified. I think you can even enroll directly. We're the ones that need to get permission to avail of Seca instead of Germany.

We could have our graduation dinner at FL! Yeah!!!!!!

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Been to Porsche driving school in Alabama ad Lotus driving school here Nevada. Definitely a learning experience regardless of you driving ability. I would highly recommend giving it a try.

Mark J

Oct 3, 2011
The manufacturer run driving schools are supposed to be fun and educational. They will let you learn at your own pace and you will learn unless you have an FIA super license and have taught for years.

There are many different ways to go to driving schools. Manufacturers have them for their performance cars...sort of required with the capabilities of these cars far exceeding the driver's abilities. There are the schools frequently called "Skippy Schools" offered by the signature operator at different race tracks. All level of instruction is usually available at these schools named for the Skip Barber schools held at a couple tracks. Other well known driver's have their names associated with other tracks. Finally, there are car club track events. These are usually schools, but BMW and Porsche car clubs in the US offer Club Racing in addition to driving schools. This an opportunity to spend even more money at the track as your desire advances.

One very important school run authorized by the BMW CCA Foundation is Street Survival. A school set up to teach young inexperienced drivers a bit about car control and thinking when behind the wheel. Well worth it to send anyone 15-21 with a valid driver's license to for some safe driving learning.

One major advantage of attending any of these schools is that the information you learn and skills you develop go with you to any vehicle you drive. These things are a lot of fun, having attended and instructed at BMWCCA events here and attended a BMW Clubs Europa school at Nürburgring. I learned more while instructing than as a student.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Mark, i was with the BMW CCA San Diego chapter in the early '90s and tracked my E28 M5 with that group many times, Dan tackett was cheif instructor and has Nurburgring cred too. I havent done the manufactuer drivers schools and not sure i would recommend them if you think you'll be doing this kind of thing more than once. IMO, the BMW CCA Is the best run national club of its kind, has chapters all over the USA and lots of local events where you get great instruction from autocross to driver ed on tracks and road courses at places like Laguna Seca, Road America, Watkins Glen, etc.

I stayed with the BMW CCA even after I acquired a 996 as i liked the group better - less 'tude than the PCA and POC guys. Once you gain experience and your skills improves, there are private parties that rent tracks where you get almost unlimited track time and some instruction for learning the 'line'. You're put in run groups with cars/drivers that have similar times in exchange you get a guaranteed adrenaline rush especially when faster run groups are on track with cars like the Radical SR3/8 and they're passing you at will on the outside line - like you're not even there - good stuff.

whichever way you go its a blast and will improve your saftey as a driver in general.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Great fun and educational

I worked for Skip Barber racing school in the early 80s. The school was based at Lime Rock Park in beautiful NW Connecticut. At the time I was driving a Carrera RS and it was quite a handful on that twisty track. The school helped me a great deal, both on and off the track. The lapping days were even more fun, as the Formula Fords were fitted with slicks. It was a blast working for the Skipper during the Reagan era. The instructors were all a blast and all super experienced ex-racers.

I'm trying to get my neighbor to take the school so that he can better manage his 450hp souped up R32. He really could use the help :)

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts

Mark J

Oct 3, 2011
I'm trying to get my neighbor to take the school so that he can better manage his 450hp souped up R32. He really could use the help :)

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts

Might be a typical case of the owner of the fast car believes they are a competent driver because the car is fast. I have a friend with a WRX that believes he is a better driver now that his car is faster out-of-the-box.

I like the folks that ask what upgrades they need to get ready for a driving school. Sway bars, chip, air filter, turbo or supercharger or whatever when what they need is to go to school and pay attention.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The list of accidents borne from drivers unprepared for their rides is a long and tragic one. I lost a friend, a fellow Golf and Audio enthusiast, to such an accident.

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Good advice^ the easiest (and cheapest) way is to do a DE (drivers education) at your local track, shouldn't cost more than $300 and will break you of the bad habits we all develop driving on the street.

Rupunzell

Dec 26, 2010
Performance driving schools are one of the very best things any driver can do for themselves, their family members or friends. Learning how to drive properly can make the difference between living or dying on the road.

There are plenty of track days and driver schools to attend, they they typically cost from $100 to $400 per day depending on the club or school. In Northern California:

https://www.trackmasters.com/Page.asp?Script=1

http://www.hookedondriving.com/index.cfm

If you want to learn how to be a competitive driver:
http://www.jimrussellusa.com/

There are car club track days too, but these tend to lack instructors and are more oriented for folks to take their car on track.

If you own a high power street car, check the ego at the door as a car like this can get you in trouble if you have never driven on track. Watch this BMW spin off (power yes, smarts & driving skill, no) after passing a Miata:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXH2BFWkE4

Same BMW driver almost runs into the Lola:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OxDq7OOquE

Here is a Lola T91/90 S2000, race car about 135 Bhp, 1200 pounds on race tires and lots of grip compared to road cars:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2nrxJzi_-Y

I have spoken to many track instructors and many do not like the current generation of high power road cars with lots of electronic traction aids. They give the driver a false sense of security and promote bad driving habits. When these drivers take these cars to their first track day and exceed the electronic traction systems limit, really, really bad things happen. The very best cars to learn how to drive in are under powered cars with lots of traction, neutral steering and low weight. Power cars in general tend to teach bad driving habits. Power cars are very market desirable, it is also what car manufactures offer and know drivers like the idea of high power cars... even if they can never use the full potential of the car.

We also run a 24 Hours of LeMons racer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-KMAmPjNSk

What prompted me to write this was a dispute with one of the moderators on car safety. That was where I learned some are so entrenched with their opinion and stubborn that hard facts will not change their thinking. I LOATH Sport Utility Vehicles and any belief that a bigger, heavier car is always a safer vehicle. This is simply NOT true. Many times, the ability of the driver is a big factor in car crashes. These vehicles have poor active safety, chassis dynamics and do not have the agility to drive their way out of a potential crash. Over the years, I have seen so many SUVs, trucks and similar vehicles on their roof and the roof flattened with the emergency crews trying to cut the occupants out of the wreck. I watched a Toyota RAV4 hit a curb and roll going no more than 15 Mph, it was like watching a roll over in slow motion. Occupants were OK, but in shock over what happened.

These vehicles are rolling coffins with a false sense of security for their drivers.

Facts prove many times, driver error is the cause of car deaths. Learn to drive your car at the limits and learn what it does when the limits of traction has been exceeded, learn how to use every bit of performance designed into your car to save your life on the road and not rely on the crash protection designed into the car for survival.

Take each drive seriously, your life and the lives of others on the road depends on this.

Bernice

The list of accidents borne from drivers unprepared for their rides is a long
and tragic one. I lost a friend, a fellow Golf and Audio enthusiast, to such an accident.

Last edited:

Dr_jitsu

Jun 17, 2011
Good stuff.^ Probably the best way to learn is in a Mazda Miata on regular street tires (they let you know before things get really bad). My first track day was in my GT2 but back then she made around 560rwhp, far less than what she makes now (620 on pum, 800 on C16). W/ the big turbos she really isn't a good car on most tracks. I also ran my SC M3 which made 585 rwhp on street tires.

Fortunately, I went to learn. I didn't care at all if someone passed me in a less powerful car, in fact I would give the point by if anyone even got near me.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have attended about 9 driver education events (aka DE's) at race tracks. Mostly Limerock and once at Watkin's Glen in my 2004 Porsche 911 GT3. You learn alot attending/particpating in these events and you don't need a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, ect. Nothing like going 140 mph w/o fear of Cop reprisals....:D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Driving is one of these activities that seem too mundane to go back to school for. Cars have gotten steadily faster and more powerful .. 20 years ago only a few cars would break 300 Hp.. Right now Any brand of car has a 300HP and even family sedan routinely hit 250 HP and have 0-60 time in the sub 7.. I am not sure most people do know how to drive these... And Accidents are more serious... True the cars handle better these days have all kinf od electronic help .. It remains that anything that can accelerate from zero to 60 in less than 8 sec requires driving skills that most people don't possess.
I did some competitive driving on tracks and that has helped my all around driving as well as making my cars last longer and becoming a safer driver. Many of our members here have fast cars, very fast cars, it would be good for them to learn to drive these properly and safely. This is not a given

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some driving schools can teach you to be one of the best performing driver around.

* I took a safety driving course myself (in Canada, from one of the best schools), and it rocks! :b
It improves your skills, and makes you aware of your surroundings, including other drivers ...

Highly Recommended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing