Amarra 2.2 released

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I think Amarra 2.2 improves soundstage depth a bit, for me, especially in the shi%%y playlist mode (I hate using Logmein/VNC apps for these players who won't use iTunes like Pure Music does, simply as a GUI). But overall my large preference is for the beta version of Pure Music integer mode (which is only capable of bypassing the 32 bit core audio step with DACS that accept integer playback, like the Antelope Plus I am borrowing currently). Amazing 3D, and tonality/timbre reproduction. Not close IMO.

With stock players I put Amarra 2.2 playlist even with Pure Music's hog mode/memory playback setup, so PM wins every time...since i am addicted to the Remote app functionality on my iTouch and iPad (i.e using iTunes for library management). But Amarra has indeed improved it's lot. :) My $.02

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Steve,
Pure Music is a $129 player from Channel D. The trial is full-use and free for 15 days. I have no affiliation except as a happy customer (of both PM and Amarra).
http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

The best setup includes using memory playback and hog mode (exclusive access to the DAC). Sorry to hijack the Amarra thread. Amarra is very good, getting even better. With a different DAC and a different system i may like Amarra over PM. YMMV.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I have not auditionned Amarra. I have however recently been involved in the evaluation of different players as blindly as possible. I evaluated JRC, Media Monkey, Foobar, Windows Media Player and Foobar. They sounded the same to me and a group of youngsters who had invited me to the comparison ... I wasn't surprised. I however like very much the powerful tagging capabilities of JRC.

What I need to know is what does Amarra do? .. If they have found a different, more accurate method of Digital to Analog Conversion then hat off to them... If they are manipulating the digits in such a way as to present a more euphonic reproduction ... I would not like that ...

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Frantz,
You list Windows players (you must like Foobar :) ). Amarra (and PM and Decibel and Audirvana) are MAC players only.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This thread reminds me of something in another industry altogether computer games - specifically first person shooters. There are many that gives me motion sickness and makes me queasy, and a very few that do not. My sister (besides being a musician) is a reviewer for computer games in her "spare" time. When I mentioned this to her, she said that in the game industry, it is the biggest "I know what it is but no one knows how to measure/manage it" factor. The game studios retain people on their staff that get queasy to test this out. She said that if any one figures this out, he/she will make millions selling the technology to the game developers. Why does one "build" of the software make sensitive people queasy, and yet another build does not?

We were discussing "Portal" and the new "Portal 2" - both developed locally in Bellevue. She and her reviewer friends get sick with Portal 2 and none of them has completed a review of it yet.

Why does Pure Music and Amarra sound different? I suspect that it may be the same thing. To be bit transparent, algorithms should NOT make a difference to the bits delivered to the DAC.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,
You list Windows players (you must like Foobar :) ). Amarra (and PM and Decibel and Audirvana) are MAC players only.

I know that ... I still don't know what it does ... It has to do something besides simply delivering the bits if it sounds repeatably and reliably different

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing