Amarra 2.2 released

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Sonic Studio, LLC has released Amarra 2.2. The new version is compatible with up to 384 kHz sampling rate material, and no longer uses the "I-Lok' dongle key. Activation is accomplished via a simple web-based authorization process. Amarra will be "license-able" to 2 of your computers using the activation codes.

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.html

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Update:

I installed Amarra 2.2 without incident. Amarra no longer uses the iLok USB key. They've now moved to a web-based software authorization process. You may authorize two computers to use your Amarra software at one time, and you may "de-authorize" a computer to move the software to another if you wish.

The CPU usage, playing 24/192 and 24/176.4 files, was reduced by 40-50% on my Mac Mini using screen sharing. Minimizing the player windows still dropped the CPU load significantly, but the improvement is such that I can play hi-res files without the ticking from CPU overload.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I should add that I feel Amarra sounds better to me than the other players I tried. If not, I wouldn't have gone to the lengths I did to diagnose and rectify the problems.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Lee

I am interested in why these players sound different. Do they each use different filters

I wish I knew. Some have said that Amarra sounds more "tube-like". Not being privy to the inner workings of their software, I honestly don't know what is different. All I can say is that I perceive a distinct difference in the sound.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Assuming one is running Amarra in bit perfect mode, meaning volume set to max, no resampling, no dithering, then the only explanation of improved fidelity is an esoteric one.

The idea is that by limiting or controlling activity in the PC, the timing and quality of the signals over ground connections to your DAC can be improved. When one looks at the spectrum of jitter, you quickly see a 60 Hz component coming from the power supply (in some devices). Likewise, you see other components from say, other clocks in your device. With the PC having incredible amount of activity, it will likely pollute its clock with lots of jitter components. Likewise, if your audio equipment is not electrically isolated from the PC, as soon as you connect the two together, you pollute your DAC jut the same.

The above is a theory. As far as I know, they have never furnished measurements to prove the same. That is a shame since we can easily measure the above effects. While folks argue over validity of measurements in this case, that does not apply because the hardware is the same in either case. We should be able to see the effect of switching media players and seeing a difference. If there is no difference, there is no way that audibly there will be some. At least I can't think of how in this configuration.

I plan to one of these days run a test like this. I like to see how bad the PC is as is, and the with such changes.

My experience on the PC has shown that placebo effect is far stronger than real difference. For example, I tested Foobar2000 against WMP. At first, I thought Foobar sounded so much better. But upon more careful testing, I found the difference to vanish.

The situation with Lee is even more puzzling. He is using an asynchronous USB DAC. The whole reason to use one is to eliminate the clock from the PC and have it come from fresh new one on the other side of the bus. To hear a difference means that either the electronic isolation is not there or else, their implementation is still subject to jitter from the PC.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Actually, Amarra uses an "auto-dither" circuit that they recommend one leaves engaged. I'll look it over and report back with any pertinent information on it that I can find.

Lee

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Yes, upgrades are free and this new version does sound the best so far. Playing music from the "Amarra playlist" seems to have improved clarity and focus. Listening now!!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I use Amarra by itself (not linked to iTunes) for playback from the Playlist window also. Amarra uses TPDF dither (you tech guys can explain that, please) and perhaps that's one reason it sounds better than other players I've tried. Agree that 2.2 is a sonic step up from 2.1.1. I also still minimize the player windows after starting playback, to lessen the CPU load even further.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes, upgrades are free and this new version does sound the best so far. Playing music from the "Amarra playlist" seems to have improved clarity and focus. Listening now!!

Randall

Why should one player sound different from another if this is digital and all it does is play a digital signal, or is it some filtering than can be added or subtracted to make the sound better. Like you I am a Mac user and for that reason alone am most interested in Amarra.

Is there any reason to think (or hope) that iTunes updates could make Amarra unnecessary

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I use Amarra by itself (not linked to iTunes) for playback from the Playlist window also. Amarra uses TPDF dither (you tech guys can explain that, please) and perhaps that's one reason it sounds better than other players I've tried.
Dither only matters if you are using the software volume control in the player. If you have outboard volume control, the volume in the PC should be set to 100% and use the other control. You don't want to have both on.

But yes, how volume control is done can make a noticeable difference.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Randall

Why should one player sound different from another if this is digital and all it does is play a digital signal, or is it some filtering than can be added or subtracted to make the sound better. Like you I am a Mac user and for that reason alone am most interested in Amarra.

Is there any reason to think (or hope) that iTunes updates could make Amarra unnecessary

Steve, I really have no idea. The basic answer I was given is that Amarra uses different algorithms in their software. They said that some algorithms add noise to the signal while others seem to sound better. They have developed their algorithms over a long period of time and seem to be making their product better and better. Now, having said that, I have no idea if that answer is 100% valid, but it was the one I was given.

As far as iTunes, I do not think Apple will allow iTunes to control the audio midi settings. This was the feature of Amarra that made it special and the first of its kind. The software would automatically adjust the settings of the audio midi based on the sample rate of the music file. Without the software, you have to close iTunes and make the switch and then open iTunes.

The fact that Amarra sounds better than iTunes is a huge plus.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing