What can be done with windows?

diibadaaba

Feb 21, 2011
Finland
Hi all, my first post here.

This is a hypothetical scenario (at least for the moment), but let's say I would be building a new 2-ch listening room from the ground up. Would it be possible to have large windows on the front wall and still achieve good acoustics?

Last edited:

diibadaaba

Feb 21, 2011
Finland
About 50 sqm (~-540 square feet) is likely what I will be able to afford. I'm planning a move from city to countryside, and currently renovating my apartment before I will sell it.

So the listening room construction is not a immediate concern, but I've of course been thinking about it and also reading about acoustics. I understand that a bunker-style room is best but I would like to be able to see daylight, trees and whatnot from the listening spot and so the question about windows.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Large windows behind speakers are not problem (unless the speakers are bi/dipolar). That being said, I have a large window behind my speakers, but I had Snap-tex build framed OC703 removable inserts that fit snugly into the window. I also have plantation shutters over the window as well so I can alter the acoustics as needed.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

This is a hypothetical scenario (at least for the moment), but let's say I would be building a new 2-ch listening room from the ground up. Would it be possible to have large windows on the front wall and still achieve good acoustics?

The answer would have to be Yes. Even with dipoles, depending on how the rear wave is controlled with the loudspeaker in question, a front wall that is completely glass could still work well as long as the speakers are not right up to the glass. What would matter more is that the windows are sufficiently braced not to rattle and resonate. Thickness and dimensions of each pane of glass should be considered (not thin and square).

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
it is absolutely possible to have windows front and center between speakers. But the real answer is "it depends"...depends on all room factors but L, W and H need to accommodate desired speaker/listening locations and keep the window from being an issue.

Quick aside: knowledge gained from a job in S. Florida...the newly installed hurricane windows actually resonate at ~ 800Hz...noticeable and not expected. The simple point is window selection does have bearing on sonics.

All the best!

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
Yes, that is a very cool product and works well. There's even a nifty application by studio designer John Storyck addressing SBIR with this product.

However, would not help the glass resonance itself.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
True Jeff, I hadn't thought of that. It probably works best with heavy glass that's tempered and laminated.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi diibadaaba,

Welcome to WBF.

The room you intend to build is on the large side. In my experience, large rooms have less problems than small rooms.

If I were you, I would build the room with as many windows of any size. Move the stereo gear into the room then listen. For all your initial worries, you may end up liking the room as is. Should room problems arise, these problems can always be treated.

One of my favorite rooms to visit has no room treatment at all but the owner has been able to make his many different set-ups sound intoxicating.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
True Jeff, I hadn't thought of that. It probably works best with heavy glass that's tempered and laminated.

This is what we have. It's 2 pieces of 1" laminated glass mitered 20degrees in the center to form a "V" pattern.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

I used Rives Audio http://www.rivesaudio.com/home/home.html to design the acoustics for my listening room and I'm certainly glad I did. There's simply too many different opinions from posters. Having an opportunity to build a dedicated listening room from the ground up is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Use a professional to make certain the room is acoustically designed properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing