Convertible cars as fast as motorcycles?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I never had a bike, but I did have a Miata. It was much slower than my brother's bike, though. But the car could withstand crashes better than my brother's bike or my friend's bike.

So are there cars as fast as bikes? One that comes to mind is the Mercedes SL65 AMG, but it's like $200-$300K or so.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
There are several crotch rockets that can do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. You won't find many cars that are capable of that however the Bugatti Veyron will get you from 9-62 in 2.5 secs...at a mere $2.6MM. But can you imagine the pair of loudspeakers you could get for that kind of bread??

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Wanna race?

Yeah, I think the only one's that can do it are the Veyron, Spyker C8 GT2-R and Pagani Zonda.

Attachments

• Honda 2..jpg
    Honda 2..jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 77

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
Wanna race?

Yeah, I think the only one's that can do it are the Veyron, and a Pagani Zonda.

And maybe this one. We have a long history of playing with Litre bikes here in Atlanta.

60 on up we can take on any bike

The most fun is on the twisties 4 large R compound tires and 4 large brakes are hard to handle for a bike

Attachments

• supra 006..jpg
    supra 006..jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 72
  • pic004..jpg
    pic004..jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 72
  • pic003..jpg
    pic003..jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Probably not...

bhp/weight, F =ma

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
Not to be disagreeable but you might want to check out a few Supra vs motorcycle videos on You Tube , I have also had many a run in with bikes and can tell you that we can hold our own just fine thank you.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Repman, what are those four chrome bars to the right of the exhaust? Can't make them up in the picture.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I never had a bike, but I did have a Miata. It was much slower than my brother's bike, though. But the car could withstand crashes better than my brother's bike or my friend's bike.
Safety is all relative. Had my #1 start developer in my team in SF Bay Area go and buy a Miata. He takes it out for a drive with his wife. Sunday night I get a call from someone that they were in an accident. They had rolled off a hill in San Jose, fell many feet down, and dangled there upside down having broken their backs. Here is the worst part. We had a heat wave that got us to 110 degree plus and no one found them for many, many hours and even after that, they had a hard time getting them out. Both became quadriplegic. Ever since, you would not find me in one without a crash bar.

I know speed is great. But please be safe :).

Sorry for the public message :) :).

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
Amir, they are a custom diffuser made for this car and are actually carbon fibre and connect to a underbody pan to control wake under the car and add some downforce , I am not sure if it works or not but with the TRD widebody & RA1 tires> 345 in back and 275 up front it sticks like glue

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Not to be disagreeable but you might want to check out a few Supra vs motorcycle videos on You Tube , I have also had many a run in with bikes and can tell you that we can hold our own just fine thank you.

I'm with repman here - there are a number of Japanese cars that will do the run-around Bruce's bike. I have a friend who had a Mitsubishi Eclipse that does sub-11sec 1/4 miles without nitrous, and he once hit under 10s with nitrous. I think that the fastest Eclipse does 6sec 1/4 miles???

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ariel Atom 3 sub 3 secs 0-60 sub 11 secs 1/4 mile

Now they have a 500bhp V8 variant. No figures on this one yet.

Gary, that might be a funny car with a fiberglass Eclipse shell. I can't see how an Eclipse could do 6 seconds unless it's got a rocket strapped onto it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I was wrong - it's a RWD, and not the AWD GSX.

I don't know if he still has it, but my friend Mimo Osmena in Cebu had an Eclipse that's been quite heavily modded, but I don't think near as fast. I thought that there were a couple in Manila too.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
O'kay.... now we're getting crazy. The OP was talking about stock street-legal off the showroom vehicles.... period. Of course you can make any car (think Hennesey or Shellby or Rousch) get into single digits on the dragstrip and such. Hell... i've run Pro-stock dragbikes in the '80s.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I watched this event last summer
[video]http://youtu.be/MLAHSRRM6KY[/video]

there were a few Hayabusas and convertibles that participated, the convertibles achieved higher top speed than the bikes on the average. Top speed for the day was 365 kph (I think) on Edo modified Ferrari Enzo.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I'm with repman here - there are a number of Japanese cars that will do the run-around Bruce's bike.

The entire post:

Probably not...
bhp/weight, F =ma

I would imagine a car to achieve greater terminal velocity than a bike...
Perhaps, I should have advanced Newton's Law in terms of acceleration ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing