What's the most recent piece of audio equipment you have purchased and when?

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
just took delivery of my upgraded/updated Nova Physics Memory Player, now with his 32 bit dac

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wow! Congratulations Ding! That was some wait huh? Please share your impressions when it has settled into your system :)

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
thanks Jack. Talking about wait - sent it out last November 5 and just got it back today. When you have been spoiled with the convenience of a server, even putting a cd into a player will feel like a chore. But it's gonna bea week or so before I could hear it's true potential as I still have to order my M2.2 from Ilena.

V Capped Memory Player baby :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Woohoo!!!!!!!! The 2.2 will punch a hole in your chest. Hehehehe. What 6922s are you planning on using?

Just got done bi-amping 1.1s with 1.2s, had to re-tube inputs to all Tele redtips. With my painting moved I had to borrow a studio trap from Emperor. Whew. Finally I can enjoy! I miss the 2.2s but they are serving a worthy cause :)

Will you be hooking up your SB to the MP DAC section? Pabalita :) (Translation: lemme know how that goes) ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just bought a Nordost Valhalla digital cable s/hand. much better than the old Cardas neutral ref which i liked a lot. I am still looking at some s/hand transports but nothing jumps out at me other than the Zanden 2000P for my Zanden DAC...and boy do you have to think carefully about that purchase even s/hand!!! i just have not found anything quite so well matched as a source for the DAC, and i have tried (a few) digital servers.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Lee,

I absolutely love my Bryston BDA-1 DAC and it is not much more than what you have and works flawlessly.

I'm glad you have something you're happy with! Mine's working fine now that I got a new circuit board for it. I'm not interested in spending any more on a DAC until they come out with DSD/DXD-compatible ones at a reasonable price.

Lee

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
:cool: The 47 Lab Transprort made my system unassailable. I made the purchase some half year ago. Since, the search through the giant troves of music gold has become a fine pastime.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
Woohoo!!!!!!!! The 2.2 will punch a hole in your chest. Hehehehe. What 6922s are you planning on using?

Just got done bi-amping 1.1s with 1.2s, had to re-tube inputs to all Tele redtips. With my painting moved I had to borrow a studio trap from Emperor. Whew. Finally I can enjoy! I miss the 2.2s but they are serving a worthy cause :)

Will you be hooking up your SB to the MP DAC section? Pabalita :) (Translation: lemme know how that goes) ;)

will be using EAT ECC88.

the Modwright Transporter was moved to another system and it will be the new Memory Player straight up. Mark Porzilli even recommended to remove the pre-amp and the digital room correction and hook the Memory Player straight to the amps, will try that too, but will keep my system as is for now so that I can have a better assessment, and will remove components one by one.

Initial impression - wow! I thought the Transporter was good, side by side with NPMP, no comparison. Now let the v-caps burn in period begin :cool:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Merlin MASTER Tsm speakers
I must say, they are my SF Guarneris and the big VSM Mxe I had before that. Truly Brilliant.
Being on whats best, i would challenge us all and say, lets put them up against a new product like the TAD's, this being a truly thought out and ameliorised product for quite some cash -

MERLIN TSM MXM the best?

Egidius

It certainly works wonders with the Berning ZH230 and Wadia S7i. Simply good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Halide Bridge :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just got the Grimm AD1 A-D converter. Chassis is made of copper! Heavier that sh*t!

Attachments

• Grimm..jpg
    Grimm..jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 238

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Merlin MASTER Tsm speakers
I must say, they are my SF Guarneris and the big VSM Mxe I had before that. Truly Brilliant.
Being on whats best, i would challenge us all and say, lets put them up against a new product like the TAD's, this being a truly thought out and ameliorised product for quite some cash -

MERLIN TSM MXM the best?

Egidius

It certainly works wonders with the Berning ZH230 and Wadia S7i. Simply good.

Did Bobby use the Duelands caps in this model?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Did Bobby use the Duelands caps in this model?

he did, as well as all internal cabling done with cardas clear and adaption of the drivers - basically he thinks its his best. I cannot judge this, but I can agree, that this small speaker tops the VSM Mxe (Of course the rumour then would be, that his Master VSM would be better again ;-)
e

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
he did, as well as all internal cabling done with cardas clear and adaption of the drivers - basically he thinks its his best. I cannot judge this, but I can agree, that this small speaker tops the VSM Mxe (Of course the rumour then would be, that his Master VSM would be better again ;-)
e

'Dem Duelands are hideously expensive :) I'm still waiting for four VSF Black caps for my tape preamp. These caps are made to order and take about 6 weeks to make :( Hopefully, they've been shipped this week!

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
> What's the most recent piece of audio equipment you have purchased and when?

TC Electronic BMC-2 monitor Controller for my home office system in May.

(This is a pro audio DAC with Coax and optical inputs, buttons to switch inputs and a volume knob that I don't need

> And when and what do you think the next piece will be?

A USB/Coax SPDIF/Optical SPDIF DAC with remote volume control for my main system. I'm waiting to see reviews of some of the recent under $ 500 products and of the $ 1800 Grace m903 DAC. 1-6 months.

or

Active monitors for my home office system - perhaps 6 months to a year away. The Audioengine A5s I use now sound good in a Henry Kloss sort of way. You realize the limitations but the music is very enjoyable. 4 months to a year.

or

A next round of PCs - First, I'll probably replace my 4-5 year old Win XP personal PC with a Intel Sandy Bridge CPU based Win 7 PC and see whether Win 7 will be satisfactory for use in my both my dedicated MusicPC. If 3 TB WD Green Power drivers were cheaper and had a more extensive track record and 120-128 GB SSDs were close to $ 100, I'd have make this purchase already. Either this happens in the next 2 months or I wait for the Ivy bridge CPUs.

I usually have a shopping list of possible purchases ready. CDs get bought when a cheap copy is available. More expensive purchases from the list are a snail race.

Bill

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
iMac running Pure Music into Accuphase DP-78's digital input

so you use the DAC in your Accuphase DP78

is the purpose of the bridge to take USB out of your PC into S/PDIF of the Accuphase.

Other than proper termination of the ends what other benefits are there to use the Bridge

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing