Rowland Model 301 monoblock power amplifier

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
This thread discusses features and experiences with the now withdrawn Rowland Model 301 class D monoblock power amplifier.

You will find specs and other technical information on the JRDG knowledge base at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=11

At $30,250 per pair (version with curved front faceplate), Model 301 was probably one of the most expensive class D monoblock power amplifiers on the market until its 2012 withdrawal. It was introduced in 2003 as a monoblock companion of the Model 302 stereo, but in recent years it has undergone a significant 'silent' update, and now sports the ICEpower 1000 ASP modules also used in the Model 312.

Differences between the two iterations of M301 are shown at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=518

Version identification based on serial number is at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=571

Like 312, M301 uses an active PFC-based front end rectification section (I believe 1200W per chassis), its I/O is completely transformer coupled. 301 is completely balanced from the inputs stages to and including the outputs, which means that both positive and negative output terminals carry a signal to the connected speaker.

I will update this post periodically with further information.

Guido

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I have updated the thread header: current link to technical information; link to list of differences between original and updated M301 version; link to version identification through serial number.

Saluti, G.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Hi Guido,

I've not heard the curved faceplate later iteration however I have had the earlier version in my system along with and without it's matching pre. I've also heard them in the owners system with a couple of different amps and have to say I just didn't get it, I mean they're expensive amps. Bags of power, they gripped the speakers and drove the bass fast and tight, occaisionaly with the right material, old school jazz springs to mind, they could lift up their skirts and deliver a magical performance. For the most part though they delivered a sound that was somewhat bland and a little sterile. My Kharma MP150 in the owners system sounded more musical, from cold they gave up a little in terms of ultimate bass grip but were sweeter and no less transparent.

One mans opinions only, the owner loved them, I suppose his love of old school jazz, Ellington, Armstrong & Fitzgerald et all showed his system in it's best possible light. He has recently moved on from them.

Having been critical I guess my questions would be, am I wrong? Have I just not heard them in the right system and ultimately did the newer versions inject some life and soul?

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi defride, M301 is really not one product.... It's 2 products.... Starting with serial number MA0072, Rowland essentially changed internal architecture, as can be seen in the post at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=518

In its stereo equivalent, the original M301 corresponds to the M302, while the 2nd version corresponds closely to M312. I have not heard the original M301, but am very familiar with the sonic differences between M302 stereo and M312 stereo.... I love M312 for its nuanced emotionality and its authority.... But found M302 to be exactly how you describe the old M301... Bland and not particularly emotional.

Having said this... the original M301 is now 4 generations old... Here is the sequence M301 original, M301 2nd version, M725, and now M925. G.

Last edited:

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply Guido, it's good to hear JRDG has moved on from that early 301 design. While always intrigued I'd rather written the brand off from a personal perspective. I'll look forward to hearing later designs one of these days.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Defride, I owned a pair of Rowland M7s for 10 years... And when I auditioned the original M302 stereo I was completely befuddled... Sweet yes, but so relaxed that it was totally uninvolving... So I understand your concerns about the original M301 and. Thank fully, what followed is a return to the emotional intensity of the Rowland classics, but with increasingly greater musical resolution on each iteration... Or so I hope... I have a pair of M925 monoblocks on order *grins!*

Guido

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Hi Defride, I owned a pair of Rowland M7s for 10 years... And when I auditioned the original M302 stereo I was completely befuddled... Sweet yes, but so relaxed that it was totally uninvolving... So I understand your concerns about the original M301 and. Thank fully, what followed is a return to the emotional intensity of the Rowland classics, but with increasingly greater musical resolution on each iteration... Or so I hope... I have a pair of M925 monoblocks on order *grins!*

Guido

Good luck with the 925's, seems like lots of love out there for them at the mo. Will look forward to hearing your thoughts when they arrive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing