What music do you use to evaluate DACs?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Question is in the heading Bruce. Do you have a specific set of tracks you find more useful to evaluating digital products?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, cymbals are good... but quiet cymbals. Things like brushes on a snare, ride cymbal, triangle. I like things that you can hear the decay all the way out to blackness.

I'll list some of my "go to" music tomorrow.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That would be great Bruce. We sorely need better "test vectors" here.

You general description very much matches my experience but I have long lost my reference tracks and hence my question.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think the music I listen to the most is probably good evaluation material -- small ensemble jazz, acoustic rock with light percussion, music with a lot of natural instruments and quite a bit of "space" in it. But maybe I'm wrong. Tell me this: If I wanted to hear jitter in my systems, what would I listen for? Most of what I've heard described as jitter are harsh, fatiguing trebles. That could be anything. I've heard it at home. I changed recordings and heard it go away. I've heard it at the store. I changed speakers and it went away. I've listened for ragged reverb tails and pre-echo. Nothing. Is there something that is very specifically jitteresque to listen for?

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tim-Jitter is the digital boogeyman that is always hiding in the closet and waiting to jump out and scare you and ruin your audiophile day. Even when you don’t hear the digital boogeyman, he’s always in the back of your mind taunting you. He will make you change recordings and speakers in order to make him go away.

Seriously, I think Bruce pretty much explained what you have to listen for, but you have to know what is on the recording in the first place. It doesn’t help to listen for a cymbal being softly struck and decaying into blackness if you don’t know what it should sound like based on experience.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim-Jitter is the digital boogeyman that is always hiding in the closet and waiting to jump out and scare you and ruin your audiophile day. Even when you don’t hear the digital boogeyman, he’s always in the back of your mind taunting you. He will make you change recordings and speakers in order to make him go away.

Seriously, I think Bruce pretty much explained what you have to listen for, but you have to know what is on the recording in the first place. It doesn’t help to listen for a cymbal being softly struck and decaying into blackness if you don’t know what it should sound like based on experience.

I have a pretty good idea what a cymbal should sound like. I've logged hundreds of hours in rehearsal rooms and on stage with them, and quite a few in studios. I probably have a better idea of what they're supposed to sound like than most audiophiles. What they're supposed to sound like when they are jittered is what evades me. I have a really clean headphone system ending in really good transducers. If it's there, I should be able to pick it out.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tim-I need to clairify my remark. When I said you need to know what the cymbal sounds like when it is softly struck and decays into blackness, I was referring to knowing what it sounds like on a recording that you are very familiar with so you can use that recording as a reference. I know you know what cymbals sound like in real life Tim. And we both know that the pure energy, tone, shimmer, and harmonics of cymbals is not really captured on our recordings anywhere close to what they sound like in the flesh. Or at least I don't think so.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here is one I especially like. It's the Sheffield Drum and Track that I remastered for the FIM label. The label wanted more punch and felt the original was too dry. We did some ambience recovery and made it sound more "live". You can definitely hear the decay of the cymbals and drum transients all the way into the blackness.

Attachments

• Sheffield..jpg
    Sheffield..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 331

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Here is one I especially like. It's the Sheffield Drum and Track that I remastered for the FIM label. The label wanted more punch and felt the original was too dry. We did some ambience recovery and made it sound more "live". You can definitely hear the decay of the cymbals and drum transients all the way into the blackness.

I have the original D2D LP. I always like the side with Keltner playing the best. This really is a torture test for systems.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
One cool piece that I just finished up a couple months ago is a solo piano album by Jovino Santos-Neto. This was recorded over 2 days at the Fazioli Salon in NY. The last track is solo piano with the sustain pedal on all the other pianos in the studio engaged.
The album is on the Adventure music label.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

Hi Bruce,

Which version do you suggest? Do you recommend the 2004 XRCD24 disc or the 2010 as shown in the photo?

Rich

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
One cool piece that I just finished up a couple months ago is a solo piano album by Jovino Santos-Neto. This was recorded over 2 days at the Fazioli Salon in NY. The last track is solo piano with the sustain pedal on all the other pianos in the studio engaged.
The album is on the Adventure music label.

Is it this one? The others seem to have been recorded in Brazil.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Is it this one? The others seem to have been recorded in Brazil.

I just finished this a month or so ago so they're not out yet. I'll let you know when they're available. The title of the discs will be "Adventure Music Piano Masters" I think this was Vol. 2
There will be a Vol. 3 that we did with Weber Iago.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
In a thread somewhere else, I recommended the Yamamoto Trio "What A Wonderful Trio". The 1st and 3rd tracks are best. The first track has a quet cymbal strike and the 3rd track has multiple, harder cymbal strikes. The 3rd track, you'll notice the texture of the transient and body more than the decay.

Attachments

• fimdx079..jpg
    fimdx079..jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 321

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Another track I like is the 1st track on Oscar Peterson's "We Get Requests". You can hear the brushes hit and slide across the snare. All throughout the piece you can hear the musicians talk and hum along with the music.

Attachments

• Oscar..jpg
    Oscar..jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 323

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing