Last night - new force discovered

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This was posted on New Scientist last night.

It's only a 3-sigma event, there is a 1 in 1000 chance that it could be a fluke, but it is the first hint of a new force of nature - called technicolour - that might resolve some problems with the standard model of mass and particles. It's likely not new to the physicists on the board, but was interesting to me and I thought that I'd share.

http://www.newscientist.com/article...-at-fermilab-hints-at-technicolour-force.html

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yeah, but does it sound good (subjectively, that is)?;)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Now, if they can find my missing sock, THAT would be a real feat (or, "feet")! :D

I seem to have no problem finding particles with mass, especially as I get older. Except hair particles, which I asume convert their mass into other areas of my body. :)

Too much Mountain Dew with lunch, sorry...

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Correct! If technicolour is proven, the Higgs boson does not exist (no wonder they haven't been able to find it).

Its kinda funny, when one reads certain other threads where some are strong advocates for science and use that as a tool on how only measurable and conclusive proof is applicable against those who are audio subjectivists of various degrees - sure the forum is pretty easy to work out :)
I am not a member, but for some reason I just cannot stop reading the posts done by some, and when Amir used to discuss with some obstinate ones as well lol :)

Ironically physicists jump to conclusions or make leaps of faith (in theories-models) as well, quite a few major physicists argue the Higgs Boson cannot exist, while others state it does - and yet its never been proved or fits fully into models.
Brings a smile to my face, personally I think even the technicolour is going to take a long time to be proved one way or another even with models.
Same goes for dark matter IMO with some very nifty deep in the earth measurement labs where a similar find occurred a few years ago - that also could be a fluke or a few other unlikely events that were measured.

For me this is where science is still great to follow and open to various views-theories, and arguments :)

Thanks for the link Gary.
Edit:
Just want to say I do hope something comes of this, if you hear any more Gary please post an update.
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing