Berning forum?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Hello,

In view of a recent thread about meaningful amps in TAS - missing reference of David Berning seemed a shame to me.

I am aware, that since the heyday of the ZH270, , things have changed in Bernings activity, with high price products making it less widely used. Beside Dick Olshers review, there has been absolutely no reaction about this gear.
But as a longtime owner of the ZH270 and more recently owner of his new ZOTL preamp and ZH230, I feel a forum for Berning could be a good thing: Not only is it really good (the best? who knows whats best..) but it is truly innovative. So there ;-)

Egidius

PS I have no personal affiliation to either David or Allan, being a musician I simply enjoy music from both sides, giving and taking.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess the problem that I have setting up a new Berning Forum is how active it would be

I would suggest starting a Berning thread in the amplifier forum and if it is busy then starting a dedicated Berning Forum in the manufacturers forum seems reasonable

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Alright, let me throw one out there. has anyone heard their new z monoblocks? they are supposedly incredible and i did happen to meet roy gregory once who confirmed this. i got some "off the record\" insights from him as well, which i will not post here. But he really was very complimentary of these amps, and i would love to know more about them. Any chance people have heard them with speakers i would know well? SF Strads, Guarneris, Quad 2905, Wilson X-1/Grand Slamms, Thiels, ML CLX, for starters? Thanks for any opinions.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
..thats exactly my interest; I have heard the ZH270 with the SF Guarneri (of of Franco Serblins favourite combinations!), the Merlin TSM, VSM and Quad. an incredible match was berning/ambience ref 1800s
the ZH230, which should be sonically closer to the big QuadZ's i heard only with Merlin VSM, in my living room, where it stays.
The only OTL comparison I have is the Einstein , which in itself is an amasing gear,

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Well, I rest my case (NOT!) -

But on second thought: These amps signify a complete break for me, as I do never think, any sonic problem might be in the amps, I had this with the ZH270 before, and now again, refined, in the ZH230: Of course, the usual caveat are still valid, you have to deal with the appropriate speakers.
So, if this notion is a known phenomenon to you, i would be interested what gear made this impression on you?
egidius

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing