Routing Cables Through Walls?

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Little by little I am working on my cable management and I have come to a bit of a crossroads which has me undecided on which route to go. My TV and main speakers are on the wall directly in front of my main seating area in my living room. All of my equipment is directly to the left of my speakers and seating area on a small audio stand on another wall. Due to the size and layout of my room, there isn’t much I can do as far as rearranging my seating and equipment so I think it’s pretty much permanent. This leaves me with a couple of options. They are:

• Run my cables though the wall and install keystone style wall plates at each spot a component will be. Then run a short length cable to each component from there.

• Run my cables through the wall; do not run any cables to wall plates but instead through a nose and to the components. The nose where the main speaker cables would be exiting the wall would be in between my mains and directly under my TV (but at standard outlet height). This option would keep all cables in one piece.

• Run my video cables through the wall either to a plate or nose, and run my speaker cables under the floor coming up directly behind my mains near the baseboard. The speaker cables would be in one piece.

There are a few things that have me concerned about using wall plates especially for my mains. One is that someday down the road I’m sure that I will get some new speakers which may or may not work well where the plates are. I think if the plates were off to the side of a speaker, especially outside, it wouldn’t look all that great. Two, more importantly, do the extra connections to the wall plate pose an opportunity for sound degradation especially due to poor quality components? The wall plates I would be using are the typical keystone type found online or at your local home center.

This is my first foray into low voltage wiring so any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The only reason to run cables through the walls is aesthetics. Every time I have done that, or done that for somebody, something ends up needing changing within a few years and then it is painful. I much prefer to route along baseboards instead.

Any break in a line is an opportunity for problems, but realistically you won't have any with good connectors properly installed.

Note that 100 W into 8 ohms is 80 Vpp so the speaker voltages are not all that low...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
We have pass-thru plates in our rooms and they're great. You can get fittings for any connection

Attachments

• 2045405213_4a4e19d&#48.jpg
    2045405213_4a4e19d&#48.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 952

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
The only reason to run cables through the walls is aesthetics. Every time I have done that, or done that for somebody, something ends up needing changing within a few years and then it is painful. I much prefer to route along baseboards instead.

Any break in a line is an opportunity for problems, but realistically you won't have any with good connectors properly installed.

Note that 100 W into 8 ohms is 80 Vpp so the speaker voltages are not all that low...

The patching of holes is what I am worried about the most. Running the wires or changing them isn't a problem as I have good access under the floor. Unfortunately I can't run the wires along the floor as I have to cross a doorway. 80V? I had no idea!

We have pass-thru plates in our rooms and they're great. You can get fittings for any connection

Do you make your own with better connectors or are those off the shelf? Those cables look really nice!

I guess I could always put them in and repair the drywall later if I decide to go in another direction.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Do you make your own with better connectors or are those off the shelf? Those cables look really nice!

I guess I could always put them in and repair the drywall later if I decide to go in another direction.

The wall plates were custom designed by Redco with Neutrik Gold connections.

Redco

All cables pictured are JPS labs

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Bruce-It looks like that python snake power cable coming out of the Pass Labs amp into the wall is so heavy that it is trying to pull itself out of the wall plate. Or is that just an optical illusion?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce-It looks like that python snake power cable coming out of the Pass Labs amp into the wall is so heavy that it is trying to pull itself out of the wall plate. Or is that just an optical illusion?

Yes, you are correct. These are Aluminata cords and the outlet is an Oyaide R-1. I have supports under the cable now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing