Love Krell amps and looking for a 600

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
OK
I see that we can relate as it is hard with some of the fella's when they hear 95db being said.At my seated position(13feet from the speaker),I once measured 110db during a SPL test at my seat.I resulted a little etchy,metallic grain in the volume.I also did the same test with the 700cx/Wywires with much less etch/grain factor.The FPB 600c was also very good and I am sure I would surpass 110db.I will be trying a active system later this year consisting of 2-600's for bass and mid-bass(I was looking for a 300 but got a 600 for the same money)and the top-end will be experimented with(currently have a BAT VK 500).This is just for fun as I have all the gear available.
As for heat,if I am going to have 12amps pumping heat,it might as well be a 600.I can have 2 FPB 600's and a VK 500 running with less power than a single KSA 250(all at idle,not standby)

The end result is that most amps leave you wanting more when the time is right.Krells make you say ""Holy ****,thats crazy"" and for the few of us here,we love the amp and a half under one hood.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
The KSA 250 is still a great amp with tons of power.But to compare to a FPB 600 is unfair,at least to me.I will say SQ wise,for $2500 used,they are a bargin
-lots of bass,deep and powerfullk
-mid/highs are a little etchy at big volumes but fine everywhere else.
If one listens at the 80-90db levels,it is all good,but so is the 300s.It is the 95db+ levels that let you know where the weakness comes out.

I cannot get past """HOT""" since 12 amps(1440watts) is nothing to sneeze at when you turn it on.

Agree about the KSA250 , a full re- cap upgrade and bias change is necessary to get rid of the edge, we actually reduced its class-a bias, turned it into a faster sounding amp with much smoother sonics. In stock form nothing special at all, this of course means not sending it back to Krell , but having it done by your own tech or yourself ...

I will also add if you are running your Krell at 8 or 4 ohms , you are not gettig the full benefit of its design , The older Krells come alive at 2 ohm and below ..

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
OK
I see that we can relate as it is hard with some of the fella's when they hear 95db being said.At my seated position(13feet from the speaker),I once measured 110db during a SPL test at my seat.I resulted a little etchy,metallic grain in the volume.I also did the same test with the 700cx/Wywires with much less etch/grain factor.The FPB 600c was also very good and I am sure I would surpass 110db.I will be trying a active system later this year consisting of 2-600's for bass and mid-bass(I was looking for a 300 but got a 600 for the same money)and the top-end will be experimented with(currently have a BAT VK 500).This is just for fun as I have all the gear available.
As for heat,if I am going to have 12amps pumping heat,it might as well be a 600.I can have 2 FPB 600's and a VK 500 running with less power than a single KSA 250(all at idle,not standby)

The end result is that most amps leave you wanting more when the time is right.Krells make you say ""Holy ****,thats crazy"" and for the few of us here,we love the amp and a half under one hood.

VK 500 , i could not sell my Pr fast enuff , talk about weak ....:)

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I use ATC mids and they are awfull picky on amplification sonics,so I thought I would try something different.
I once had a Classe CA-400 running just my mid/hi and it was pretty crazy but just lacked in refinement at high SPL's.I had a Pass X250 and it was unique sounding but was to ssssolid state sounding on the highs.Simaudio was sterile and boring and Bryston brittle.
So still searching

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
That is interesting Lee. Do you use Cast cables in your system to have made the cable comparison

Actually I do. I have a pair of Evolution One and they are connected with both Nordost CAST and Argento Flow (I use the Argento Flow as interconnect throughout my whole setup). I much prefer the traditional cables. I find the Argento more detailed and balanced than the CAST. This is clearly the case with classical music. i sometimes switch to CAST for rock sessions.

Martin Colloms also preferred the traditional cables when he reviewed the Evolution One.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
as I said before, I used CAST to connect my KPS25SC to my 750 mcx amps when I used it as a 2 channel system and regular Balanced interconnects when I was using my HT. The remote allowed for instant switching from one input to the other

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
2014 Nobel prize in Physics - the blue LED

as I said before, I used CAST to connect my KPS25SC to my 750 mcx amps when I used it as a 2 channel system and regular Balanced interconnects when I was using my HT. The remote allowed for instant switching from one input to the other

Steve,

I choose your message to post about the 2014 Nobel prize in Physics “for the invention of efficient blue light-emitting diodes which has enabled bright and energy-saving white light sources” http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/press.html .

Although I loved the the 25sc and the 750 mcx I must say that I hated their blue LEDs - too bright for a room with dimmed light.

As I am using blue LEDs for my work I was very pleased with this nomination.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing