Love Krell amps and looking for a 600

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
I have tried a KSA 250(great sound...TOO HOT!!!!),KSA 300s(love it but I need more power for my new monster DIY's) and a 700cx(should have never sold,but it wasn't its time yet).I love their sound and build,but most of all their POWER.
So now I am on the hunt for a powerfull FPB 600(or simular) or maybe mono's.The 300s just does not have enough power for my 800lbs of speakers(100lbs of drivers per side).Its not that it sounds bad,not at all,it is just that headroom is a must and these need at least(min) 1000/ch at 4ohms and the 300s is only a little over 600.
Let me know if you have one of these,thanks.
john

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Krell FPB's are really great amplifiers. But if you manage to find a FPB700cx - the later of the series - it is worth the price difference. It sounds more transparent and "faster" than the 600.
Good luck!

booboobaer

Aug 22, 2010
Columbus,Ohio
I have had the FPB 600 which sounded very nice. I used it to power the Sound Labs M1 electrostat speakers and it sounded great. But when I bought the FPB 650 monoblocks the sound was out of the ball park in comparison. The 650's have twice the power supplies. The headroom is impressive. THe 650s are quite durable and are a very good deal when bought used!

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys
I have posted on agon...I dont know if a pair of 450mcx will suffice as I should have a minimum of 1000w at 4ohms and up to 2000w for headroom. I have been contacted by one person so far for a 9-10yr 600c but he wanted to much for me and if I am going to pay this kind of money I will look for 650m.
thanks john

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Well I did find a FPB 600c in Canada for thousands less than the crazy prices on Agon for 10yr old(unserviced) 600c..I am not sure if it is """MUCH???""" different from a 700cx sonically.
Although one has to define """different""" as either subtle or HUGE and I figure that the difference is closer to subtle. Has anyone actually compared these side by side?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Mclsound,

Did you end up with the 600c? Curious as to what else you may have found out...i am contemplating a pair of Krell FPB650m monos. I am not sure if it is an upgrade or not from my current Gryphon Antileon.

Microstrip - any thoughts? i think you may be familiar with both amps? Thanks to anyone with good guidance!

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Mclsound,

Did you end up with the 600c? Curious as to what else you may have found out...i am contemplating a pair of Krell FPB650m monos. I am not sure if it is an upgrade or not from my current Gryphon Antileon.

Microstrip - any thoughts? i think you may be familiar with both amps? Thanks to anyone with good guidance!

Lloyd,

Check my response in your thread regarding the Krell 650 FPB and the Krell 750 MC monoblock amps.

Rich

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi LL
I have the 600c and love this amps power...You do have to be careful on tweeters(no metal domes at all)..If the wall has the power than these babies will sing a great tune...The 650 mono's will sound great...let us know

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! I will keep everyone posted. gotta hear them first..hopefully in next 10 days or so...

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Well its 2013 and I can now say I have owned a KRELL

KSA 250-fully recapped.......toooooHOT
KSA 300s-fully recapped......not enough power
FPB 700cx(never should have sold)....great amp

currently own
FPB 600c-very low hours since I have owned.....EXCELLENT AMP!!!!!!
FPB 600-just recapped 217 caps..No time on it as of yet
FPB 600-90 caps(factory did in june 2011) and I will get the rest done this year....not here yet

I am going to try a active setup in the near future and got a 600 for less than a 300,so hence....600 or else I would have got the FPB 300 for midbass.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
what I liked about my FPB 750 CX was that it accepted both cast cables as well as either SE/BAL. At the time I had it I was using it for both 2 channel audio as well as for left and right main channels in my home theater. I used CAST cables for 2 channel listening and Balanced cables for my home theater. CAST cables connected my Krell KPS 25SC to the amp. The remote which came with the KPS25SC had a button that when pushed switched cable inputs to the amp from CAST to BAL.

Do they even still sell CAST cables

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well its 2013 and I can now say I have owned a KRELL

KSA 250-fully recapped.......toooooHOT
KSA 300s-fully recapped......not enough power
FPB 700cx(never should have sold)....great amp

currently own
FPB 600c-very low hours since I have owned.....EXCELLENT AMP!!!!!!
FPB 600-just recapped 217 caps..No time on it as of yet
FPB 600-90 caps(factory did in june 2011) and I will get the rest done this year....not here yet

I am going to try a active setup in the near future and got a 600 for less than a 300,so hence....600 or else I would have got the FPB 300 for midbass.

With regards to the KSA-250, never mind the too hot, how does it sound compared to the other Krells?

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
The KSA 250 is still a great amp with tons of power.But to compare to a FPB 600 is unfair,at least to me.I will say SQ wise,for $2500 used,they are a bargin
-lots of bass,deep and powerfull
-mid/highs are a little etchy at big volumes but fine everywhere else.
If one listens at the 80-90db levels,it is all good,but so is the 300s.It is the 95db+ levels that let you know where the weakness comes out.

I cannot get past """HOT""" since 12 amps(1440watts) is nothing to sneeze at when you turn it on.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting impressions. I have not heard the FPB 600 so I have no basis for comparison. However, I can't agree with your assessment that the mid/highs are "a little etchy at big volumes." That is certainly not the case at my house in my system. My system does not lose sound quality as the volume goes up. The louder you turn it up, the more real it sounds. I do firmly believe though that what separates the men from the boys is volume. Lots of systems sound pretty decent at low levels, but once you turn them up to a realistic level, they can fall apart pretty quick.

The heat from the KSA-250 doesn't bother me. In fact, I kind of find it reassuring because it means the amp is putting out a fair amount of Class A power. Time will tell, but I do believe the KSA-250 will become more sought after in the future as I think it will be become a "classic." At current prices, they are a bargain-even though they all need to go back to the factory and be recapped.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing