I never cease to be amazed

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve beat me to it, but I was going to suggest you taking a trip over to the Basspig lair if you want that type of sensation.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi audioguy

Yeah, that budget allows for quite a bit, Mark makes good subs.

We made a ”subwoofer” for the military but it actually cost more than the one above but the bang for the buck factor is rather different..

You can get an idea what the military needs in a portable, strong / low distortion subwoofer .
Check the Matterhorn here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

Or sort of a “DIY” video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36Kp6veJ6c

Best,
Tom

Tom, what does the military do with a subwoofer, or is it classified and if you tell me you will have to kill me :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Tom, what does the military do with a subwoofer, or is it classified and if you tell me you will have to kill me :)

It's a Afghan cave blaster, the military's secret weapon to do in Osama.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The conspiracy theorists would go nuts over the Matterhorn,just like the HARRP.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Tom (Danley): When I watched the video on your ginormous sub, I was reminded of some photos I took at CES a number of years ago on car audio.

Check these out:

By the way, are you not near Atlanta somewhere??

Steve asks
“what does the military do with a subwoofer, or is it classified and if you tell me you will have to kill me?”

I have to say this is the least satisfying part of the whole thing.

I have been involved designing two different systems for this (I think the same) “military task”.
The first was using the Servodrive woofers with passive radiators at my old job and then this one which uses conventional drivers and a giant Tapped horn.
In the video, your actually looking into the mouth of the horn, the rear of the drivers are at the “small end” which folds back on itself internally.

In all of this, NO ONE was ever able to explain even to me the guy who designed them what it was for.

Now, there are a few “clues”, like it has to survive in a hot dusty place, it has to be tow-able by a 2.5 ton truck or Humvee so one might guess it’s not for use in Minnesota.
One of my first thoughts given the events at the time was like RogerD is thinking, that perhaps it might be some kind of “toilet plunger” for caves or psychological warfare, maybe playing “car stereo bass music” days on end.

Ultimately, given the strict requirement on the distortion, SPL and main operating frequency (a narrow band), a more reasonable guess would be some kind of sound cancellation.
You don’t need low distortion for essentially anything else I can think of.
That leaves me no closer to any real idea what it’s for.

Audioguy, that is the most drivers I have ever seen in a car yikes but that fancy heated aluminum bench seat down the center is mighty fine.

Yes, the company is over in Gainesville Ga, I go back and forth between here (near Chicago where I grew up) and the shop.
Hey if you’re interested in hearing something different, call and ask for Mike or Jeff and arrange a nickel tour and hear some speakers. If you go, bring some CD’s /DVD’s, Mike has a huge library of good stuff but nothing beats things you are familiar with.
Best,
Tom Danley

That is loud, but loud is not that hard.

Here is a data sheet for what appears to be the main product, note the frequency response.

http://www.ultra-hyperspike.com/ima.../HyperSpike_HS-24_Acoustic_Hailing_Device.pdf

Here is a camcorder demo of the unit at a distance of 200 yards, pretty cool for its intended purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD-t2n4yPQ8

Now, what if you wanted to produce a similar level but with full range music instead of only upper voice range, we have a product that will do that except it has a 90 degree wide coverage angle for crowd use.
The JH-90 is used in football stadiums and other “large” and supplies superior sound quality in areas where multiple line arrays would have previously been required.

http://blog.mixonline.com/briefingr...ty-to-brigham-young-university-football-fans/

It may not be clear how this one works from this but it is a single point source like all our other full range systems.
What is hard to do is make a loudspeaker that sounds acceptable even after one generation, microphones do not hear like our ears.
Here is a camcorder demo of a JH-90, also outdoors and as was measured afterward was actually a distance of 700 feet.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1717077460850&oid=126113687424773&comments

The difference in sound is that normal speakers radiate sound in an interference pattern over much of the range.
While our ears and brain automatically “hear around” that, a microphone doesn’t.
When you don’t produce an interference pattern, the sound is different to your ears and a microphone. Here is another camcorder example of some smaller speakers doing the same thing.
I don’t know where this was or who did it but the sonic point comes across I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5aOg4Yp7fg

Without the interference pattern, it is also harder to hear the depth location of the speaker when in a living room, that (program depending) can produce a much more real stereo image because your ears don’t hear the physical depth location of the source anymore, just the signal.

Speaking of loud, in the old days I used to design transducers for high intensity sound. Some of these were used for Acoustic levitation (using sound to support an object without contact) and eventually flown on two shuttle flights in container less processing experiments.

The picture below is a system of six sound sources which are positioning the glowing sample being levitated. The sample is being heated by a large laser who’s output is split in two so it heats both sides of the sample. The sound sources are the things with the patch of acoustic foam on their faces and the set of six running hard can produce >175dB @ 22KHz. While that may not sound like it’s that loud, it is enough energy to instantly light a cigarette with acoustic friction or give you a burn if you place two fingers in the sound field with a gap between your fingers.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/287/5455.cover-expansion

Here is how they work;

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=74Q7AAAAEBAJ&dq=tom+danley

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ccovAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Anyway, that was fun but I have always loved sound and loudspeakers so I wouldn’t go back to that and besides all this time later, NASA is still scaling down due to the Government need to fight fires they set instead of investing in the future.
Best,
Tom Danley

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I could find no photos of finished units either.

Item number: 310308657408
TYMPANI TPS-15 15" SUBWOOFER SPEAKER
http://cgi.ebay.com/TYMPANI-TPS-15-...08?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item483fd65900
VERY CLEAN - GOOD CONDITION - TYMPANI TPS-15 15" POWERED SUBWOOFER SPEAKER

*MADE IN CANADA

*AUCTIONED AS IS - UNTESTED*

*PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SUBWOOFER SPEAKER WAS REMOVED FROM A BROKEN TYMPANI SUBWOOFER CABINET. - I DO NOT HAVE THE PROPER EQUIPMENT TO TEST IT.

*ALSO I LEARNED THROUGH THE INTERNET THAT THIS CANADIEN COMPANY (TYMPANI) NO LONGER EXIST - IT IS HARD TO GET PARTS FOR THIS SUBWOOFER.

DISCLAIMER FOR ALL USED / VINTAGE / ANTIQUE MERCHANDISES

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT EXPERT ON ALL FIELDS OR TECHNOLOGIES

ALL ITEMS IN THIS LISTING ARE DESCRIBED TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE AND AFTER CAREFUL AND ADEQUATE INSPECTION.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN DEALING WITH USED MERCHANDISES; IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOME DETAILS MAY BE MISSED OR OMITTED (IE COSMETIC FLAWS). IF YOU ARE NOT 100 PERCENT SATISFIED WITH YOUR PURCHASE, WE OFFER FULL REFUND WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER ITEM IS DELIVERED (BY CONFIRMATION OF TRACKING NUMBER).

SATISFACTION IS 100 PERCENT GUARANTEED – NO NEED TO LEAVE UNWARRANTED NEUTRAL AND NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

IF YOU ARE NOT 100 PERCENT COMFORTABLE ABOUT BIDDING ON AN ITEM, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK QUESTIONS AND WE WILL RESPOND TO THEM WITHIN 24 HOURS.

BUYERS PAY RETURN SHIPPING FEES. (PLEASE DO NOT BID, IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ABIDE BY THE LISTING AGREEMENT)

THANK FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. WE ALWAYS APPRECIATE ALL BUSINESS AND WE AIM TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I guess the days when I could buy a Vel 18 for 1200 are gone for good.

Actually, if you think about it...those days are here even more than before! Thanks to these products being bought by the uber $1M+ system owners, you can buy the Velodyne References for 25-50 cents on the dollar. I say good for many of us who want "reference" or "reasonable reference" but prefer not to pay the premium. i have heard a $750K system as posted elsewhere here in Hong Kong...all Tidal, all ARgento Master Reference, Tripoint everything, Vekian source...you name it. i was duly impressed, but i will say i get darn close at home for a whole lot less, and i am focusing on a couple key upgrades which i think will get me within a hair's breadth of being toe to toe...and that is thanks to the fact that i have been able to buy my equipment s/hand from those who have ever-sought the "newer better" thing. For example, i bought my Zanden DAC for a fraction of original price after someone traded it in because he wanted SACD. OK...sold! So i say, let those $150K uber products roll in!!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree Tim. It sounds like he just turns it up until the system is distorting really bad and the woofers are flapping uncontrollably. Either that or the sound is so loud it is just fouling out the microphone that is recording the sound.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
In can just imagine what noise that loud is doing to the guy's ears. So, it's no wonder that he has to go louder and louder. I just watched this with my 8-year old, and she said, "Daddy, the car sounds like it is farting."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing