I never cease to be amazed

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I was researching some of the companies that are exhibiting at Axpona and came across a company called Timpani Research. One of their products is a sub with 4 twelve inch drivers (near as I can tell) that sells for (drum roll please): a mere $64,000 :confused::confused::confused:

http://www.timpaniresearch.com/SUBWOOFER_SYSTEMS.htm

I guess I need one for each corner.

Maybe one of these would fit in Steve's room :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Where is the beef??? Just a one line description saying $65K? No picture? No specs? No nothing???? I guess if you have to ask.....

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Their website leaves something to be desired- especially for such a expensive product. I hope for that price they include hand delivery, setup, and dinner!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I guess the days when I could buy a Vel 18 for 1200 are gone for good.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is just a test ...

To see how much we can take ... And we have shown incredible resilience:We, audiophiles already have:
our usual >100K amps (Too many to count !!!)
Our more than $150 K speaker systems (Too many to count)
>$100 K Turntables (At least 3, I know of)
Our >$30K Speaker Cables ( At my last count 5)

So what if one needs more bass? I would however advise the prospective buyer, that according to several authorities, the best bass is achieved with multiple subs ..

;) And I am still waiting for the $100K speaker cable ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, but are they 'Reference'? Theirs are.

Until they come with the Ultra-Reference version with 15-inch drivers for "only" $150K ...

The feeling amazement is justified when you’re familiar with the things involved from a loudspeaker design, technology and production point of view.

I have designed, built and supported space flight Hardware flown on sounding rockets and the Shuttle twice, that is not what we are dealing with here.
I have designed loudspeakers that allow crowds to hear fidelity such as at Turner field, BYU stadium or Imax conversion theaters, but that is not what we are dealing with here.

But, I work in acoustics, loudspeaker technology and design, I am not in marketing and my faith in human nature desperately wishes there to be “an explanation” somehow related to the cost to build, or an admission that this kind of pricing reflects audio jewelry and not substance.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

danleysoundlabs@com

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The feeling amazement is justified when you’re familiar with the things involved from a loudspeaker design, technology and production point of view.

I have designed, built and supported space flight Hardware flown on sounding rockets and the Shuttle twice, that is not what we are dealing with here.
I have designed loudspeakers that allow crowds to hear fidelity such as at Turner field, BYU stadium or Imax conversion theaters, but that is not what we are dealing with here.

But, I work in acoustics, loudspeaker technology and design, I am not in marketing and my faith in human nature desperately wishes there to be “an explanation” somehow related to the cost to build, or an admission that this kind of pricing reflects audio jewelry and not substance.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

danleysoundlabs@com

It is not supply and demand or the debasement of the currency, it is just plain greed on the part of the seller and way too much money in the hands of the buyer. The classic definition is it's "a bubble".

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It is not supply and demand or the debasement of the currency, it is just plain greed on the part of the seller and way too much money in the hands of the buyer. The classic definition is it's "a bubble".

Sometimes, greed on the part of the seller and way too much money in the hands of the buyer is the very definition of supply and demand. And you don't have to get anywhere close to a $65,000 subwoofer for that definition to apply.

Tim

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Sometimes, greed on the part of the seller and way too much money in the hands of the buyer is the very definition of supply and demand. And you don't have to get anywhere close to a $65,000 subwoofer for that definition to apply.

Tim

"The Lord giveth increase, but man devised credit.
Mass delusions are not rare. They salt the human story.
The hallucinatory types are well known; so also is the
sudden variation called mania, generally localized, like
the tulip mania in Holland many years ago or the common-
stock mania of a recent time in Wall Street. But a
delusion affecting the mentality of the entire world at one
time was hitherto unknown. All our experience with it is
original.
This is a delusion about credit. And whereas from the
nature of credit it is to be expected that a certain line will
divide the view between creditor and debtor, the irrational
fact in this case is that for more than ten years
debtors and creditors together have pursued the same deceptions.
In many ways, as will appear, the folly of the
lender has exceeded the extravagance of the borrower"

http://mises.org/books/bubbleworld.pdf

The more things change,the more things remain the same. There is nothing new under the sun.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Your welcome Gary.
One of the books in my library,that a dear friend gave me that was a collector of fine books on the history of Wall Street. A classic.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
My bet is that they will actually sell some at this price. In fact, I also believe they would sell some at twice the price. (What does that say about our hobby?)

At $64,000, I could purchase 27 of Mark Seaton's SubMersives HP's with over SIXTY FOUR THOUSAND WATTS OF POWERS and fifty four (54) 15 inch drivers.

Space notwithstanding, I'm pretty sure which solution would provide the most accurate and tactile experience.

Hi audioguy

Yeah, that budget allows for quite a bit, Mark makes good subs.

We made a ”subwoofer” for the military but it actually cost more than the one above but the bang for the buck factor is rather different..

You can get an idea what the military needs in a portable, strong / low distortion subwoofer .
Check the Matterhorn here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

Or sort of a “DIY” video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36Kp6veJ6c

Best,
Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing