What Remote Control Are People Using

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to forum Les :).

I spent a lot of time with CQC but at the end passed on it. My problem was that it was a half-way system. It is not simple enough for everyday person to use. And it is too limiting for power users. I also found Dean difficult to deal with on the business side of things. He would do strange things like charging dealers $2,500 for the same software users could download directly for $600. I could never get him to explain how anyone could make money selling the same piece of software for 4X the price. And the software cost for dealers was higher than hardware and software from big boys of automation (Crestron/AMX). So I think as a CI system it is a bust.

But if you do dedicate the time, you can learn to use it and do a lot with it.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Thanks,

I think you'll find that a lot has changed if it's been a couple years. If there's a limit to the system I aren't going to see it though I imagine it's still out there. Price structure has changed to. Supposedly the differnce in the old pricing was the support. At the user price all you theoretically got was the software and whatever support the forum provided. The CI price got the whole deal. Funny part was is the best effort forum support was really good. In any case the price structure is all the same now.

I went this way as I wanted much more flexibility than a universal remote and was entirely unwilling to pay a CI to come out everytime I wanted to move a button. For me the pricing, hardware and software, worked out to be around the same as a basic Crestron system would have been installed. This doesn't include my time of course. The Crestron system would not have had much room for expansion and would have not let me play. There is still significant room for me to expand from where I'm at and I can play all I want.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Thanks all. Didn't realize I stayed undercover all that well.

Ron

Jul 2, 2010
i wonder why my MX3000 runs so slowly. I was told it is the macros but seems I am the only one with the problem

I also use the MX3000. I find it works very fast. It could be in your programing. The only problem I find is that I change equipment so much, that it cost me a fortune in programing. I am not to good with a computer.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I program my MX 880 myself, once you get its 'mindset', it's pretty straightforward and the new software is a bit easier. There are no preset templates for some of my stuff too but that hasn't caused any problems.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I program my MX 880 myself, once you get its 'mindset', it's pretty straightforward and the new software is a bit easier. There are no preset templates for some of my stuff too but that hasn't caused any problems.

Maybe I need to get it reprogrammed

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
IIRC, you can program the time or put pauses between each command of a macro -- perhaps these aren't done correctly on your remote.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I am using Pronto Pro stuff. I like it. Not too difficult and works well for all of my needs. I need to learn Javascript so that I can build some of my own modules and maybe sell them. Right now I use one way rs232 to control most things. There are some free modules on the Pronto site for dealers. Also have produced two way modules for free. There is a module for the Denon 2500 blu-ray that should also work with the Marantz UD9004 for example. All the commands seem to work execute very quickly. My wife loves her iphone. The only limiting factor so far is the lack of an iphone apps that would work with the Pronto system. My wife want my next set-up to have some ability to integrate the iphone for central air at a minimum.

dougsmith

Sep 5, 2010
Gloucester, MA
I use a Harmony One. It was easy to set up all of my devices and it does just about everything I want - including custom commands, which were fairly easy to program. Long macros tend run a bit slow but I need only one of those. Of course you can teach it anything you want, so I can even use it to control playback of my video camera. It is IR based, but the signal is quite strong.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
What does the Crestron do that Control4 doesn't? I was under the impression that Crestron was just still hanging on to legacy pricing from the days before DLNA, modular software and modular controllers, when a lot of custom programming was the norm. Is there something about their systems that goes beyond Control4's capabilities?

P

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What does the Crestron do that Control4 doesn't? I was under the impression that Crestron was just still hanging on to legacy pricing from the days before DLNA, modular software and modular controllers, when a lot of custom programming was the norm. Is there something about their systems that goes beyond Control4's capabilities?

P
Yes although people debate that as much as some people debate audio topics :).

At high-level, Control4 is designed for ease of implementation. This means (for the most part), that for example the touch-screen interface is fixed by their design. If you don't like the way that works, you are stuck. With Crestron or AMX, the touchscreen is a blank canvas and I can create any user interface I like. I can make it look like an iPod, or Android. Crestron doesn't have a say in that.

Second difference is that AMX/Crestron offer a ton more hardware. In my house, I have a sophisticated centralized lighting system all built from their parts. From one enclosure, I control 80+ loads including countless lights, wall outlets, and fans. Control4 doesn't offer any of these parts but can control such a system. Indeed, take one look at the library of parts from these companies and you see extensive offerings, allowing you to build an integrated solution end to end (which increases reliability and reduces interface issues).

That said, an AMX/Crestron system is not for everyone. Some people like the simpler less extensible systems such as Home Logic/Control4. These are cheaper systems to put and modify. Indeed, my company often pulls out complex Crestron systems which are poorly programmed and designed and replaces them with HomeLogic and customers are much happier for it. These are people just want something that works and not how fancy or sophisticated it is.

On the other hand, we do a lot of multimillion dollar homes and for those, we usually put in AMX. With good programming, it is also very easy to use and by using it, we know there is not a problem we run into that we don't have something in their toolbox to throw at it.

Please note that these are generalizations to simply answer your question :). At the specifics, the discussions gets more complicated. Good dealers offer both mid-level systems such as Control4/HomeLogic and higher end systems like Crestron/AMX. Yes, there is less profit in the mid-tier systems but it is important to fit the equipment to customer needs and not the other way around!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have a very simple AV implemntation at home, 2CH for now, I use my iPhone to control my Digital Server and the stock oppo control for BR interaction, the Runco stock for the projector, and.... Geeezzz I need a Universal Remote... :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I just heard about these guys. $50 for the software and probably another $50 for the IP based reciever that connects IR (or RS232 or other) to your equipment.

http://www.iruleathome.com/

I've been looking at this and am interested. Hardware is a bit more up to $300 though, but that's reasonable vs. other options. Wonder how solid the software is.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

There is no doubt that a Crestron or AMX system remains the nec plus ultra in term of ease and reliable control. Control 4 is the serious option for thse who don't need all that aCrestron can do and at a more sensible price.
I would suggest anyone so interested to have a look at what and how they do their things, if one still needs more control or ease of use then AMX and Crestron is your solution ... I did use one of the Universal Remote and sometimes a Philips Pronto but truly .. If you have a system that has any degree of complication, say and HT with a 2-Ch with Bypass and screen to be lowered and aspect ratio to be controlled and a bluray and perhaps a CD player, a music server and amps for the rear and lights and HVAC .. Those handheld remote controls are not up to the task ... And you may prepare yourself to spend a lot more than sub $500, in fact prepare yourself for multiple of that ...

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
BTW, two way control for iRule will come with release of V 2.0. They're currently on 1.7.

I have a URC MX880. No screen to drop, but w/HT and two channel bypass MAY be at the edge of its capabilities. Need to reprogram all my macros, we'll see how that goes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
BTW, two way control for iRule will come with release of V 2.0. They're currently on 1.7.

I have a URC MX880. No screen to drop, but w/HT and two channel bypass MAY be at the edge of its capabilities. Need to reprogram all my macros, we'll see how that goes.

I have the URC MX1000 and it is an albatross as far as the macros and speed of the remote.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Think we covered this, but the MX880 is fine speedwise for macros. Problem may be in the programming of the more complex things I need now using a passthru. At least three more commands for the REF 5 -- power on, processor, mute off. Not sure yet though whether the issue is the program or the programmer. Money is on the latter.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing