What Remote Control Are People Using

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess the sky is the limit as to what we can spend on Universal remotes to run our system and can get into the ozone with systems such as Crestron. I know that there are simple and inexpensive remotes that are pretty darn good such as Pronto.

I am using an archaic URC MCX3000 which gets the job done, but, for the money is borderline. It didn't break the bank but too darn slow re macros.

Curious as to what everyone is using in their main system and whether it also provides automation for the house etc. What are your impressions? Are you satisfied or do you crave more? Did results provide return on investment

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
As you know, I have a dedicated home theater with SOTA acoustical planning, Sim2 C3X 1080 projector, etc.

I use Control4 to run it. This raises a lot of eyebrows. Many dealers told me I should have Crestron for a theater and system like mine.

Personally, I am a little perplexed at that kind of thinking and I think this sort of epitomizes the theme of this site.

I don't believe having a High End theater means you go out and spend the most you can on every single aspect.

IMO, it is about spending what you need to solve the problem in the best way.

Sometimes, that means finding the "Giant Killer" for some parts of your system so you can spend more on other parts.

I was willing to spend on acoustical planning and acoustics because, IMO, if you don't get that right, you're doomed to be forever trying (and failing) to compensate.

Do it right, do it once and I believe you actually often save money, time and headache and hassle in the long run.

I was wiling to spend on the projector because the picture is the point of the theater, right?

On the remote control -- I needed to control the system including the lights with a reliable no headache easy to use remote.

Control4 solved it and by solving the remote with Control4, I was better able to spend in other areas.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A tiny fraction of the price of Crestron. If you're interested, IMO, the best contact for Control4 in the Bay Area is Music Lovers. They've got an installer/programmer named Johnny who is very good.

I don't recall his last name, but the last time I called him out because I was changing blu-ray players, all I had to do was ask them to send Johnny and they knew who I meant.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bad experience? Would it stop you from using them for a Control4 remote? I had another company install and program the Control4. They didn't do a bad job, but they seemed like they were still learning and it seemed to take them a long time and a lot of trial and error to get it right. Johnny from Music Lovers seemed to know his way around the programming a lot better, got in and out quicker, made some other changes that I requested and just made it all seem real easy -- and because he was efficient, it kept the cost down, which I appreciate. Nothing worse than paying a guy to come to your house and learn on the job while you pay by the hour.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I used Crestron in my last theater and actually did the programming myself. This time, I decided I had better things to do with my time (and money) so had someone else do the work. While the dealer I used is both a Crestron and Control4 dealer, they said that for an application like mine, Control4 was the way to go. In fact, they think Control4 can be used in all but the most complex applicatons. I am in the midst of doing some work in my theater (acoustical improvements and a masking system -- does this NEVER end?) and once that is complete, will probably get an iPad as the interface since Control4 now has an iPad app. I currently am using the hand held remote that comes with the basic Control4 System.

Highly recommended.

hifiguymi

Apr 26, 2010
Howell, MI
I'm using a URC MX-980 and love it. My system is pretty simple and it's easy to hold in one hand for myself, wife and daughter. I've been around touch panels for a long time and unless you need a bunch of on screen feed back or are doing a whole home, a wand suits me better. At some point I'm going to look at the MX-5000 more seriously but there are other system requirements before that.

Steve Williams

I'm using a URC MX-980 and love it. My system is pretty simple and it's easy to hold in one hand for myself, wife and daughter. I've been around touch panels for a long time and unless you need a bunch of on screen feed back or are doing a whole home, a wand suits me better. At some point I'm going to look at the MX-5000 more seriously but there are other system requirements before that.

I have the URC MX-3000 which gets the job done but is very slow in processing macros.''How doesthe MX-5000 compare to it

hifiguymi

Apr 26, 2010
Howell, MI
I've not programmed an MX-5000 yet so I don't know. It's a much more powerful remote so I would hope it would be better. Who did the programming on your remote?

Eric

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Steve, if you are interested in Control4, which I (like Rob) also use, but you are not interested in using Music Lovers, pm me because I have a client who can set you up with a Control4 system. You can then use your iPhone, you can buy an [max]iPad, or you can use one of Control4's products. They have both a traditional universal remote and also a 9" touchscreen.

Steve Williams

Steve, if you are interested in Control4, which I (like Rob) also use, but you are not interested in using Music Lovers, pm me because I have a client who can set you up with a Control4 system. You can then use your iPhone, you can buy an [max]iPad, or you can use one of Control4's products. They have both a traditional universal remote and also a 9" touchscreen.

Ron

I always learn so much from you. Not to sound like a dolt but if the Control4 is a remote what is the iphone or ipad used for

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ron

I always learn so much from you. Not to sound like a dolt but if the Control4 is a remote what is the iphone or ipad used for
Answering for Ron :). Control4 is an automation engine like AMX, Crestron, HomeLogic, etc. It is a black box that connects to your AV equipment. To command it, you still need a remote which can be one of theirs, or an iPad, iPhone, etc. Same is true of all the other automation systems. The control system is separated from the control *surface* (touchscreen, remote, etc.).

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Ron

Spend a little bit of time at their website: http://www.control4.com/

It is a remote but it is what you are able to control and the price point that makes it so desireable.

I use Control4 to control all of my A/V equipment and some of the lighting in my home. I am about to expand my use of Control4 to include music server capability (as discussed below).

Here is the pitch from the Control4 website:

Imagine having one remote that can:
control your home theater and dim the lights as the opening credits roll
turn off all the TVs in the house when the kids are supposed to be doing their homework
alert you that you left the garage door open, which you can close from the computer in your office
manage your lights, window coverings and thermostats to reduce your energy bills
monitor your door locks, lights and security cameras for a little extra peace of mind
choose music from nearly 5 million tracks offered by Rhapsody in any or every room of the house

Here is a picture from their website showing the iPod Touch/iPhone running the Control4 system:

Here is a picture from their website showing the 7" tabletop touchscreen:

In your room, you could put a pedestal type of table right next to your chair, then sit this touchscreen on the table top. Right from your sweetspot, you can control everything.

Here is a picture from their website showing the iPad running the Control4 system :

The picture on the right shows the iPad being used with a Control4 music server. Pretty sweet! Since you already have a high end DAC, all you would need is a NAS (Network Attached Storage Device), a Control4 Controller (which you need anyways if you're going to go the Control4 route), and you're set. This is exactly the road I am about to embark upon.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm low tech here with a URC MX 880. Works fine for me, macros are quick via RF, programmed it myself. I like one handed, hard button operation. Use an iPhone to control my music servers where a screen is very helpful.

cal87

Jun 14, 2010
Tracy, CA
I am using the iRule app for the iPhone/iPod Touch (iPad version to come soon). It is pretty much DIY, but fairly easy to set up. You do have to buy some extra hardware to attach to your components. I have set up a VPN where I can control my system from a remote location.

www.iruleathome.com

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Charmed Quark Controller here. Learning curve can be a little steep. I'm only scratching the surface using it to run my system as it's really a full HA system. It can be either DIY or CI. www.charmedquark.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing