Adele 21

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Some people say you know you're old when what tops the charts just doesn't do it for you anymore. Well, the last time a new artist or band that hit No.1 really sunk it's hooks into me was in the mid-90s with Gwen Stefani and No Doubt.

Adele, a young lass from the UK, with mutant lungs (thanks for the line Kristen Bell) seems to have not just broken through into the charts again this time she's broken generational barriers too. My Dad is 76, I'm 40 and my eldest daughter is 11. Adele's got us all.

With a strong voice, exquisite phrasing and an intensity only somebody whose truly had their heart broken can deliver, this her sophomore album is filled with soul, baby, soul.

Highly recommended.

Oh, and it's available in LP too. YEAH!!!!!!!!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Jack, have to agree with you about Adele. She's something else! I think 21 is her second album and IMO her best so far. Saw her 'unplugged' yesterday...WOW!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Indeed!

Adele, Amy Winehouse and Duffy are leading the UK Soul charge. Joss Stone, quiet for a couple of years, has put up her own label and is supposed to have a new album out this year. This is all tapping me back to The Commitments which was one of my favorite movies. The US Neo-Soul movement is pretty hot as well. I'm lovin' it!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm blown away.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was going to say she sounds like a mature Duffy voice. Funny to see Steve post her as another singer.

Mr.Poindexter

Aug 1, 2010
I got 21 when it came out and have been totally hooked.

Some albums just don't hold up to multiple listenings while others grow on you. I find that the more I listen to 21, the more I like it. While "Rolling in the Deep" is what hooked me, I have found "Don't You Remember" to be my favorite on the album.

The last time I was this satisfied with an album purchase was getting Norah Jones debut album. Sadly, so many albums today are a couple singles and fillers and the digital downloads of the top track is killing their album sales figures. This album is very deep with great tracks.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just love her voice, and have been a fan for several years now. I have a feeling there are more great things to come from this amazing talent.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The LPs were very disappointing :( :( :(

The levels are too low so the noisefloor comes up much too quickly. I believe this is because they crammed over 50 minutes onto just two sides. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. This deserved a double LP and should serve as an example of what NOT to do with an LP release.

Stick to the Digital folks unless they come up with a re-issue with the dynamic range Adele's music deserves.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The LPs were very disappointing :( :( :(

The levels are too low so the noisefloor comes up much too quickly. I believe this is because they crammed over 50 minutes onto just two sides. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. This deserved a double LP and should serve as an example of what NOT to do with an LP release.

Stick to the Digital folks unless they come up with a re-issue with the dynamic range Adele's music deserves.

50 minutes does sound a bit long for LP. How does that limit the levels?

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
AFAIK to cut grooves that close together the width of the grooves have to be limited. To do that you have to cut softly. :(

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I will have to go back and listen to some old vinyl then after I finally get my tracking force fine tuned. I checked the Cd and the Anderson Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe LP is 59 min, 24 sec; on vinyl it is a single 2 sided disc. I checked the CD of Union by Yes and it is 65 min, 23 sec; again on vinyl it is a single 2 sided disc. I know that the vinyl was getting close to the maximum length capabilities with these 2 discs.

Rich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please do Rich. Like I said this is just a hunch of mine. The other possibility is that the pressing is just plain crappy. The vinyl used, upon closer inspection after 10 seconds of awful sound, was dull and was actually a weird kind of gray.

BTW another way to get that much playing time on two sides of a disc is to compress heavily and still cut soft. Please let me know if the LP you mentioned lacks the darker grooves one would instantly identify as the quiet passages on a disc. Also please let me know what your volume knob tends to hover at compared with the rest of your prog collection. TIA!

Whatever the case may be, I hope the execs that produced this disappointment will get their act together. The music on this album is deserves a proper effort.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I am a Hugh fan of Adele and Duffy. In fact I am going to see Adele live at the House of Blues here in Dallas on June 15th :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am a Hugh fan of Adele and Duffy. In fact I am going to see Adele live at the House of Blues here in Dallas on June 15th :D

Sweet! She's coming to Toronto as well, and I think the tickets are gonna go like lightning!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Please do Rich. Like I said this is just a hunch of mine. The other possibility is that the pressing is just plain crappy. The vinyl used, upon closer inspection after 10 seconds of awful sound, was dull and was actually a weird kind of gray.

BTW another way to get that much playing time on two sides of a disc is to compress heavily and still cut soft. Please let me know if the LP you mentioned lacks the darker grooves one would instantly identify as the quiet passages on a disc. Also please let me know what your volume knob tends to hover at compared with the rest of your prog collection. TIA!

Whatever the case may be, I hope the execs that produced this disappointment will get their act together. The music on this album is deserves a proper effort.

Hi Jack,

I agree with your findings. I have the standard release of Adele19 and it is indeed noisy and the music never finds a way to capture my emotion. It is definitely a substandard pressing. However, I'm not sure if that's due to the length of any side, as I have many recordings between 25-28 minutes on regular vinyl that sound fine. I have a feeling the vinyl substrate used was of inferior quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing