Why Wadia?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Happily some of the Benchmark supporters are not as strict as you.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/content/thomas-w-bethel

If I was not immune to testimonials of happy owners in manufacturer sites I would be really curious to listen to this DAC. :D

Unhappily, even pros are not immune to lazy language that says little because it could mean anything. But I'll forgive them if they use the real terms too. I'm only strict with my own standards. If you want to characterize your equipment is "musical," have at it. Just understand that even those who nod enthusiastically in agreement may be imagining something completely different than what you have in mind. :)

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unhappily, even pros are not immune to lazy language that says little because it could mean anything. But I'll forgive them if they use the real terms too. I'm only strict with my own standards. If you want to characterize your equipment is "musical," have at it. Just understand that even those who nod enthusiastically in agreement may be imagining something completely different than what you have in mind. :)

Tim

Although I understand what you want to express, considering that perceptual appreciations are "lazy language" and say little because they are ambiguous is a dangerous route - you are ignoring one part of whole.

Even F. Toole accepts that this is part of the game "Descriptors like pleasantness and preferences must therefore be considered as ranking in importance with accuracy and fidelity" (from Sound Reproduction).

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Although I understand what you want to express, considering that perceptual appreciations are "lazy language" and say little because they are ambiguous is a dangerous route - you are ignoring one part of whole.

Even F. Toole accepts that this is part of the game "Descriptors like pleasantness and preferences must therefore be considered as ranking in importance with accuracy and fidelity" (from Sound Reproduction).

Don't take it too seriously, micro, it's just a personal peeve.

Tim

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Considering DACs, I would like to know which are the "comprehensive, independent measurements," you refer. Anyone in the business will tell you that the so called "independent measurements" ( a nice name for magazine tests) are not comprehensive at all. They are just a very reduced set of measurements that will only show gross faults.

The only comprehensive measurements I know about are Miller Audio technical reviews for HFNRR - they are accessible at http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/avtech/index.html. However there is so much information that a non technical consumer probably will probably not know how to interpret it. And we know manufacturers use other measurements during development, involving listening tests, they keep secret.

Unhappily Paull Miller tested only a few digital units - however the last Krell CD 525a or the Mark Levinson No 512 show to be exemplary. But I can assure you they do not sound alike.

BTW, anyone claiming that tube sound is due to added distortions and colorations that are easily measured should look at the measurements of Audio Research recent preamplifiers - they show to be better than many solid state equivalents. Yet, the preamplifiers still have the "tube liquidity and tridimensional sound" characteristic of the brand.

I might add a view as a musician; i cannot pretend half of the technical discussion my recording engineers talk about, my solution is to listen; it is there where I can reply to this threads initial question why Wadia: I use a S7i modified by GNSC, i find particularly piano sound irresistible, i don't know if its right, probably, but I like it!
I my studio I use the Metric Halo ULN2 with absolute happiness, so there go figure ??

the Wadia is my digital source along a Rock TT, feeding Berning / Merlin.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
did i kill this thread - hope not ;-)

No seriously, why Wadia, that was a question that has struck me as well, so interested to hear from you!

wadiabias

Dec 6, 2011
Ann Arbor MI
I suppose I could try to say all of the technical reasons why, but that probably would not help since DCS and Meridian all have technical merit. The biggest improvement Wadia made to digital sound has been the DigiMaster filter. The Digitmater filter has been used in almost every product released. The DigiMaster filter takes into account most of the problems with digital sound and tries to correct them. The Wadia filter takes pre and post ring into account which was a first in the industry. We also believe in up-sampling is very important for getting a high frequency filter high enough so as to not effect the audible range. Wadia has always tried to get a sound that is as close to analog without loosing the digital advantages.

I work for Wadia in Customer Support and Service, so as I talk to people with older Wadia gear, they seem to be emotional attached to it. To me, this says that Wadia was able to get emotional part of the music across to the owner.

Wadia is not perfect for everyone, and I can understand why some people like the competitors because music and sound are very subjective things. We offer what we believe to be the best sound for the money (and a lot of it) and hope our customers believe the same thing.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Wadia attachment or bias ;-)

I work for Wadia in Customer Support and Service,.

Hi Wadiabias, yes I too feel "attached" to my Wadia gear, both my 781 and now the s7i are the players of my choice. I thought about the s9 and consciously decided against it, there are only so many things you should have "the best of" and the s7i can pass as that for most people in the world (regardless if you think this or that is MILES better....)

Good to let us know the background of your name ;-) thanks.
e

wadiabias

Dec 6, 2011
Ann Arbor MI
Here is a reason not to buy Wadia. Wadia has been shut down as of Dec 15th. We were called in and terminated except for skeleton crew.

Fine Sounds has decided to move Wadia to Minnesota. The entire staff except for 1 has been let go.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Here is a reason not to buy Wadia. Wadia has been shut down as of Dec 15th. We were called in and terminated except for skeleton crew.

Fine Sounds has decided to move Wadia to Minnesota. The entire staff except for 1 has been let go.

Hi Wadiabias, I am truly SORRY to hear that! All the best to you, and I hope you can be biased for something in the near future!!

e

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing