Pioneer S1-EX - anyone with extensive experience?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
In my quest for a pair of speakers for my living room, I was quite taken by the Pioneer S1-EX that I accidentally came across in a Pioneer shop. However, the speaker was hooked up to a receiver and was displayed as if it comes free along with a purchase of a TV set! Although I thought the sound was promising, given the condition of the set-up I couldn't really form a solid judgment, and the shop does not have a dedicated room. Can someone with extensive experience chip in? I have been listening extensively to the Revel Salon2 and some Rockport offerings and somehow I thought the Pioneer might hold its own. But again, they were displayed in the worst possibly thought manner and I could only feel the potential. Thanks for any inputs!

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
I had a pair of the Pioneer S2-ex which is the bookshelf version of the Pioneer S1-ex. I use the term "bookshelf" loosely as the speaker weighs 60+ lbs each. I had them hooked up to a Plinius amplifier and the Amarra Model 4 DAC and with a Arcam AVR600 on occasion. Based on the equipment and my smallish room (12 x 17), it still performed admirably. What struck me was the generous sweet spot, a nice coherency from top to bottom and the aesthetics were top notch. I recently got a chance to hear the Revel Salon2 and based on that experience, I do not think the Pioneer S2-ex or S1-ex is a better speaker than the Revel Salon 2 or that they play on the same playing field. Just my subjective opinion but the Revel's have more resolution, impressive bass, and a more precise imaging. I would say, the Pioneers are more forgiving on the top end so if you are sensitive to sibilance, that would be in the Pioneers favor. Both great speakers though. I would like to see how the TAD CR-1 stacks up against the Revel Salon 2, which I think would be a more fair comparison.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Thanks to both for your inputs.

Kal - I have read your Pioneer review, as well as the B&W 802D. Coincidentally I came across the new B&W 800 Diamond that I found very engaging. This is very strange to me as I have never liked the B&W sound. Although coherency between drivers remains its weakness in my view, I found the sound overall very engaging and fun to listen to. Have you compared the older D and the newer Diamond re the B&W? I am now also taking an interest in 802Diamond, so your view on how the Pioneer and B&W compares would be valuable.

hiroshige - I would love to hear the TAD too, but it is way out of my range. I listened to the Salon 2 extensively many times with ML equipment as it was on my shopping list. The driver integration and coherency is amazing, but somehow I could not find life. This is quite strange to me, as I coherency and driver integration is one of my top priority, and the Salon 2 came out on top in these regards. I wanted to blame ML for the somewhat plastic sound in the midrange, but cannot prove it as ML is the only partnering equipment the dealer carries. B&W per above, is on the other end, scroring low on coherency but somehow it sounds engaging.

hersorin

Nov 3, 2012
Bruxelles
Anyone else have experience with Pioneer EX ? I am interested for amplifier and cables , prefer integrated amplifier .

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Anyone else have experience with Pioneer EX ? I am interested for amplifier and cables , prefer integrated amplifier .

I have the Pioneer S-2EX and they Re hooked up to a LSA Statement amp with John Tucker's latest mods to the Pre amp section. At 150W it drives the speakers with ease.

hersorin

Nov 3, 2012
Bruxelles
I combined Unison Unico 200 with Pioneer S1 EX . The combination is very good , Unico 200 is very strong . Now i'm looking for cables .

tst123

Sep 2, 2014
Hong Kong
I combined Unison Unico 200 with Pioneer S1 EX . The combination is very good , Unico 200 is very strong . Now i'm looking for cables .

I am using Siltech 550 with 770 jumpers. A cheaper alternative is Pioneer's own 6N copper bi-wire speaker cables if you can still get them as they were discontinued. I feel the Siltech is warmer but the Pioneer is quicker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing