Now this is how you sell headphones!!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
From my last trip to Yodobashi superstore in Tokyo:

On every trip, we allocate an entire afternoon to tour all the floors of the new store. You think you have died and gone to heaven. You can combine every Bestbuy and Fry's in US and they would have as much stock of electronics than this one single store has! We are talking infinite number of anything... Cameras, phones, dark room equipment, computers, appliances... I counted the inventor in a tiny little area that stocked flash memory. We are talking a 10 foot by 5 foot area on the wall. Are you sitting down? $250K worth of high-performance flash memory for high-end cameras!

Anyway, you see how many headphones they have. It is a messy section unlike the rest of the but boy, does it satisfy your need to test any and all headphones you want.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
From what I recall, the deck above was a fancy SACD players There is a whole different section where they all the Stax headphones and such. Just thrown around as if they were $50 headphones.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's where I bought my 404s! I sat and listened at the stall at the far end. Yes, source was Marantz SACD players. The cans were practically half the US MSRP.

Did you check out the prices of the Acrolink cables a few isles in front of the stations Amir? Boy was I tempted!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wanna be in Tokyo.

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Actually, I have been listening to AAC/MP3 files with good headphones and good headphone amp, and the experience is more satisfying than I ever would have thought.
No, it doesn't compare with a full speaker rig in a decent setup, but as an alternative it is quite nice.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When I was in Tokyo, they had >$100k worth of equipment on shelves like Best Buy and you could switch the source/speakers by pressing a button. All the speakers were lined up on a wall about 10' wide. I think the whole place was 18' x 12'. How you could make a good decision on what to buy is beyond me.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They had the same screwed up thing for projector with crappy screens, all crammed together in one room. I think they had 6-8 projector in the space of a single theater!

So clearly the method is not workable for everything they sell. On the other hand, being able to see and touch everything is remarkable.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
There was a place like that in Singapore but was 4 or 5 stories tall. But they were like mini-stores within the entire building. Amazing.

That's the Adelphi Center - most of the high-end audio stores in Singapore are concentrated withing that one building. They are different stores, though. You could listen to a full-blown $500,000 FM Acoustics Resolution system in one store, go next door and listen to a full-blown $500,000 Audio Note Ongaku system. However, you have to be wearing the right shoes and the right watch or the salesmen won't even look at you.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I was in Tokyo, they had >$100k worth of equipment on shelves like Best Buy and you could switch the source/speakers by pressing a button. All the speakers were lined up on a wall about 10' wide. I think the whole place was 18' x 12'. How you could make a good decision on what to buy is beyond me.

They had the same screwed up thing for projector with crappy screens, all crammed together in one room. I think they had 6-8 projector in the space of a single theater!

So clearly the method is not workable for everything they sell. On the other hand, being able to see and touch everything is remarkable.

It has got to be a function of the cost of real estate. That's a lot of Yen per square inch. I'd do the same.

That's the Adelphi Center - most of the high-end audio stores in Singapore are concentrated withing that one building. They are different stores, though. You could listen to a full-blown $500,000 FM Acoustics Resolution system in one store, go next door and listen to a full-blown $500,000 Audio Note Ongaku system. However, you have to be wearing the right shoes and the right watch or the salesmen won't even look at you.

So near and yet so far. I'd like to go to Singapore soon. Maybe take the kids to Sentosa. Let me know when you're in Manila or Cebu Gary, I'll take you around. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing