Things to do with eggs

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi flez007,

That picture of huevos rotos looks very appetizing. I will have to visit one the spanish restaurants soon.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi garylkoh,

My dad loves to eat eggs. May I ask which kopi-tiam restaurants in Singapore are among the best place for the soft boiled eggs?

My favourite is the Killiney Kopi Tiam on Killiney Road. Unfortunately, over the past few years, they now have like 50 locations throughout Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia - so I don't know if the quality is still as good. They also serve a great kaya (egg/coconut jam) toast.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, here I thought I knew international food and I can't even pronounce the stuff you guys are talking about! :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah!! I love all the chinese omelets too. My kids crave for the chai poh egg at least once a week. In the US - don't buy the salted minced chai poh. Buy the "sweet" minced version. It's still salty, but not too salty and you don't have to wash and soak the chai poh. It's better when you also finely slice some scallions in with the chai poh.

Other versions using the same recipe substituting chai poh with the little salted dried anchovies - the type that is about 1/2 inch long. Then, I also do it with baby whitings, dried krill, etc. etc.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah!! I love all the chinese omelets too. My kids crave for the chai poh egg at least once a week. In the US - don't buy the salted minced chai poh. Buy the "sweet" minced version. It's still salty, but not too salty and you don't have to wash and soak the chai poh. It's better when you also finely slice some scallions in with the chai poh.

Other versions using the same recipe substituting chai poh with the little salted dried anchovies - the type that is about 1/2 inch long. Then, I also do it with baby whitings, dried krill, etc. etc.

Good tips, Gary. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love eggs and I love butter. Put them together and that gives me two of my favorite sauces, Hollandaise and Bernaise. :)

Sticking on topic, here's a great hangover buster.

Take a ramekin and pit in 2 dollops of Sour Creme. Crack an egg in careful not to break the yolk. salt and pepper. Use white pepper if you're a purist. Carefully lay down a layer of smoked salmon. Cover that with another dollop and sprinkle with finely chopped chives. Bake at 350 in a water bath until the whites have set and the yolk is custard like. Before serving top with a generous portion of Salmon Roe.

Serve with flattened toast, strong coffee and a glass of fresh OJ

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Jack. Pity I didn't see that last night, or that would have been breakfast for me, my wife and kids. Not that we have a hangover, but it has all the ingredients we love.

Instead, we had chai tau kway omelet:

1 packet (500g) Chinese Radish Cake - slice into 1cm-thick slices and fry in a very large frying pan under high heat until crispy on each side. Using the Chinese "wok chang" (see OP), cut into smaller pieces in the frying pan. Sprinkle with about a tablespoon of chopped sweet chai poh. The chai poh will crackle and jump about in the oil.

Break four jumbo eggs (or six medium ones), breaking up the yolks up over the whole mess. Add dark sweet soya sauce, dark salt soya sauce, fish sauce, and a few drops of vinegar. Stir and turnover. Sprinkle with chopped chinese chives and chopped green spring onion. Serve with sweet condensed milk tea and sweet kalamansi juice (for the kids).

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
More things to do with eggs - desserts!!

Here are my two favourites: In the streets of Hong Kong, one of my favourite desserts is Steamed Milk.

Beat together:
One can evaporated milk
Two cups whole milk
6 eggs
One cup fine sugar

Next, add 3 teaspoon almond essence

Strain into ramekins and cover with a small piece of cling-film (Saran wrap)

Steam over medium heat for at least 20min. The water should be simmering and not furiously boiling for the smoothest texture. The ramekins should not be in the water but held in the steam.

Enjoy hot or cold.

In Manila, my favourite dessert is Leche Flan - but I have a Singapore/Malaysian version.

Break up 250g of "Gula Melaka" and boil in 1/2 a cup of water. This is usually sold in Asian food stores as a cylindrical block.
http://www.clicknring.com/web_app/sites/wizard1/index.php?name=ladybird

Reduce to a thick syrup which needs to be filtered with a piece of muslin. Put one or two tablespoons into a ramekin and refrigerate. (The traditional recipe uses caramel instead of gula melaka)

Whisk together 1 can evaporated milk and 1 can of condensed milk with 1 cup of whole milk and 10 egg yolks. Add two teaspoons of vanilla extract.

Remove the ramekins from the fridge and pour the milk/egg mixture into the ramekins. If the gula melaka syrup has not thickened, you can pour the milk/egg mixture carefully over the back of a spoon so that it doesn't mix into the syrup.

Cover each ramekin with a piece of aluminum foil.

Bake with the ramekins in a water bath at 350 deg F or 175 deg C for about 45 minutes.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sticking on topic, here's a great hangover buster.

Take a ramekin and pit in 2 dollops of Sour Creme. Crack an egg in careful not to break the yolk. salt and pepper. Use white pepper if you're a purist. Carefully lay down a layer of smoked salmon. Cover that with another dollop and sprinkle with finely chopped chives. Bake at 350 in a water bath until the whites have set and the yolk is custard like. Before serving top with a generous portion of Salmon Roe.

Serve with flattened toast, strong coffee and a glass of fresh OJ

Yum!! Compliments from my wife. I made it this morning. Instead of the white pepper, I grated some fresh nutmeg on top and we all thought it was heavenly..... although I can't understand why I would have to give myself a hangover before I can make this :confused:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There was a Chinese resturaunt up in Reno,Bill Fong's in the El Cortez Hotel. They made the best prawns and eggs Chinese style, great dish.

Btw I picked up several De Buyer blue steel pans at World Market recently that were on closeout. They are the best omelet pans!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yum!! Compliments from my wife. I made it this morning. Instead of the white pepper, I grated some fresh nutmeg on top and we all thought it was heavenly..... although I can't understand why I would have to give myself a hangover before I can make this :confused:

It's a funny story. My friend who is an artist and a great landscaper came to my place early in the morning to help me sort out my garden. He'd had a bender the night before and hadn't had breakfast. Well, I hadn't had breakfast either so this is what I ended up making after rummaging through the fridge. He snapped out of his hangover so fast, the label stuck. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
There was a Chinese resturaunt up in Reno,Bill Fong's in the El Cortez Hotel. They made the best prawns and eggs Chinese style, great dish.

The trick with this dish is that the egg/prawns omelet is deep fried. Here's my recipe:

2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon crab meat and 1/2 lb shelled, de-veined raw prawns. Fry in a hot wok for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to char/caramelize some of the crab and prawns. Remove from wok.

Very lightly beat 6 eggs. You just want to break the yolks and mix with the white - not a homogenized liquid.

Mix the fried garlic/crab/prawns into the eggs.

Heat about 2" of oil in a wok till hot (not smoking).

Using a ladle, put about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture in the wok. It will bubble and spit. When the egg hardens enough to handle, with a large spatula, turn it over and cook the other side. Put some lettuce leaves on a plate to absorb the excess oil. Place the egg omelet on the leaves.

Repeat until all the egg is used up.

Serve with a little plum sauce as a dipping sauce.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The trick with this dish is that the egg/prawns omelet is deep fried. Here's my recipe:

2 cloves chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon crab meat and 1/2 lb shelled, de-veined raw prawns. Fry in a hot wok for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to char/caramelize some of the crab and prawns. Remove from wok.

Very lightly beat 6 eggs. You just want to break the yolks and mix with the white - not a homogenized liquid.

Mix the fried garlic/crab/prawns into the eggs.

Heat about 2" of oil in a wok till hot (not smoking).

Using a ladle, put about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture in the wok. It will bubble and spit. When the egg hardens enough to handle, with a large spatula, turn it over and cook the other side. Put some lettuce leaves on a plate to absorb the excess oil. Place the egg omelet on the leaves.

Repeat until all the egg is used up.

Serve with a little plum sauce as a dipping sauce.

Thank you Gary!

I was wondering what the sause was,as Fong's was served with the sauce drizzeled on top,great stuff.

Gary, Do you have one favorite cookbook on Oriental cuisine you cannot part with?

Roger

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, Do you have one favorite cookbook on Oriental cuisine you cannot part with?

The only one that's stayed with me through numerous home moves has been the one I recommended to Amir in an early post. The problem with a cookbook for "Oriental" cuisine is that there is a huge diversity in "Oriental" - as much as if not more than European cuisine. Even the diversity in Chinese cuisine defies any one single cookbook. The one I recommended is Peranakan - which is a Singapore/Malaysian cuisine.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks Gary, That's one I don't have so that's great.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have just returned from a trip to Andalucia Spain and tried Huevos Rotos with shrimps as well, very nice taste!....

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is the Singapore version - notice sweat off the brow to add to the taste and the "slap" before plating the dish.

At the rate the guy is tossing, flipping and slamming the dough up and around, I don't think a recipe will help me in the near term. LOL This makes Singapore a go to destination for me from now on. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing