Things to do with eggs

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
At the rate the guy is tossing, flipping and slamming the dough up and around, I don't think a recipe will help me in the near term. LOL This makes Singapore a go to destination for me from now on. :)

The frozen version is pretty easily available in the US. There are two brands that are reliable, Springhome and Raya. I think that both are made in Singapore. Available in Ranch 99, Uwajimaya, etc. I'm sure that you'll be able to find it in a good supermarket in Manila. Note that Raya spells it "paratha", other brands spells it as "prata". If you use frozen, you don't have the tossing and flipping and slamming, but immediately after they are fried, don't forget the two "slaps" that will puff and crisp it up.

http://www.brandeating.com/2008/03/raya-puff-paratha.html

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The frozen version is pretty easily available in the US. There are two brands that are reliable, Springhome and Raya. I think that both are made in Singapore. Available in Ranch 99, Uwajimaya, etc. I'm sure that you'll be able to find it in a good supermarket in Manila. Note that Raya spells it "paratha", other brands spells it as "prata". If you use frozen, you don't have the tossing and flipping and slamming, but immediately after they are fried, don't forget the two "slaps" that will puff and crisp it up.

http://www.brandeating.com/2008/03/raya-puff-paratha.html

Thanks for the tip, Gary. Now that's great news. I'm gonna start the search in the supermarkets now. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I keep wondering how they cook the scrambled eggs in those hotel breakfast buffets, where the eggs remain wet and even has some liquid 'sauce' to boot. Somehow if I undercook my scrambled eggs they end up raw and just the right cooking leaves it dry. The hotel chefs must have put something in there. Any ideas?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think that they might use eggs-in-a-carton like eggbeaters instead of real eggs. To scramble eggs, you have to cook it thoroughly, but the trick is to just under-cook it, and then let it sit in the pan and let the residual heat cook it through. Also, a little salt, a tablespoon of half-n-half or cream before cooking makes it fluffier.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think that they might use eggs-in-a-carton like eggbeaters instead of real eggs. To scramble eggs, you have to cook it thoroughly, but the trick is to just under-cook it, and then let it sit in the pan and let the residual heat cook it through. Also, a little salt, a tablespoon of half-n-half or cream before cooking makes it fluffier.

Ah. Thanks for the tip, Gary.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Gary,

Found a brand of frozen Roti Prata in our local supermarket. Brand is Rawan, made in Malaysia, and they spell in Roti Paratha. Grilled a piece for each member of the family and all loved it. Thanks for the tip again, Gary. I never would have known it was available in frozen type. Better than driving around the city looking for Indian restaurants. We run out of bananas, so we just put some condensed milk on it. Beautiful. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
but immediately after they are fried, don't forget the two "slaps" that will puff and crisp it up.

Hi Gary,

After the frozen roti is fried, what do you do the 2 slaps to puff and crisp it up? I tried slapping it around on the frying pan to no avail, and slapping it around the plate did nothing either. Is there a particular way of slapping it?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Jadis, check out 1:29 on the Prata Kings video I posted. He slaps it three times. Watching that video again makes me hungry for prata. I'll have to drop by Uwajimaya today after work, and have prata for breakfast tomorrow morning :D

Also important, not to keep flipping it and working it when in the frying pan. It becomes tough if you bother it too much. Fry one side till brown, flip it over and brown the other side, then filp it over to crisp up the first side again. Take it off the frying pan, slap, and plate.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I made an egg casserole for breakfast on Saturday. Instead of adding bread and sausage or bacon, I have found the easiest way to make it is to chop up leftover slices of pizza. I stirred together in a baking dish 8 eggs, salt, basil, about 2 TB of Parmesan cheese, about 1 TB of sesame oil, and 1/3 cup of milk (half and half or cream are also great), and added 3 slices of chopped up pizza. I usually put a layer of sour cream on it next, but unfortunately we were all out. (If sour cream is used, the egg mixture needs to be refrigerated several hours first to make it firmer. Usually we make it the night before and put it in the fridge.) On top I add grated cheese. Sometimes I use sharp cheddar, but Saturday I put on a layer of Italian cheeses. I baked in the oven at 325 F for 25 minutes. I was using a small deep baking dish. Using a larger, but shallower dish results in a shorter baking time. The resulting egg casserole is delicious and really doesn't have a "pizza" flavor to it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis, check out 1:29 on the Prata Kings video I posted. He slaps it three times. Watching that video again makes me hungry for prata. I'll have to drop by Uwajimaya today after work, and have prata for breakfast tomorrow morning :D

Also important, not to keep flipping it and working it when in the frying pan. It becomes tough if you bother it too much. Fry one side till brown, flip it over and brown the other side, then filp it over to crisp up the first side again. Take it off the frying pan, slap, and plate.

Ah. Got it, Gary. Thanks again. I'll try that next time. I still got a few stocked in my freezer. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Perfect advice for Prata chefs and wives with philandering husbands. ;)

Jack, if the philanderers were the prata on the video, it would like more like 'body slams' ala WWE, not just slaps. ;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Had been meaning to post this 'add on' my son and I did to our frozen Spring Home Roti Paratha. After frying it till it fluffs up, we sprinkled one teaspoon of brown sugar (moscovado) on the hot pan and put back the roti to absorb the melted brown sugar for maybe 5 seconds. And repeat for the other side. It has to be quick as the brown sugar might 'toast' the roti. After that, we spread a little condensed milk just like syrup on a pancake. Put some sliced banana on top and it's ready to eat. We've been doing this for several months and sometimes it can be a snack in the afternoon or dessert after a light dinner. BTW, we like the plain roti over the 9 grain RAWAN wheat Roti better, and it's cheaper too. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sounds good Phil. Reminds of Pizza we were making a few weeks ago. We had made way more than we can eat and still had more dough left. So I decided to put honey on them plus cinnamon and sliced fruit. Baked in the wood oven and it was wonderful! It looked like a Pizza except that it was desert.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sounds good Phil. Reminds of Pizza we were making a few weeks ago. We had made way more than we can eat and still had more dough left. So I decided to put honey on them plus cinnamon and sliced fruit. Baked in the wood oven and it was wonderful! It looked like a Pizza except that it was desert.

That sounds yummy too, Amir. Should try doing that someday. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Last week, spent a few days vacationing with the family in Hong Kong, and we lived very close to a mall wherein there is an authentic Indian fast food resto called 'Curry in a Hurry'. I had seen this place for maybe the last 10 or so years but never got to try it till I was made aware of the Roti Paratha last year in Singapore. And indeed, this one served all sorts of roti's. :) I tried the one with bananas and it was delicious. On our last dinner there, I suggested to my son to try the 'supreme platter' where there was roti, Indian rice, Indian 'taco', curry fried chicken and a real spicy chicken curry. I passed because I can't really eat spicy food. After a while, my son was kinda teary eyed and sniffling (he caught the colds there), and I asked if he could handle the 'hot' food'. He nodded and I told him to drink more soft drinks, and he said, 'dad, the food is soooooo good!'.:D I think the Indian chef has recognized us too from our last few visits. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Reviving this thread....... with the Egg Calculator.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator

I haven't tried all the possibilities, but the couple that I tried worked out perfectly. However, it works different with duck eggs as those have more protein in the white, so the white always end up firmer than with chicken eggs.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Thanks for the thread and that great article, Gary. This is my first time seeing this. I love eggs--runny scrambled, poached, soft boiled, hard boiled and omelettes of all kinds. I have a sous vide on order and can't wait to cook eggs with it.

When making various numbers of soft boiled eggs, cook them by steaming them. Place an inch of water in a large flat pan, bring to a rolling boil, then add your eggs out of the refrigerator into the steamer basket and cover. The cooking time will be the same for one or a dozen eggs because the water isn't chilled by the cold eggs. Don't crowd the eggs in the pan. The temperature in the steam chamber portion of the pot stays constant so any number of eggs take the same amount of time to cook. Steaming takes about 30-50% longer than boiling, but it is well worth it. This gives nicely gelled whites and a yolk that is runny to firm depending on how long you cook it. Shell cracking is also rare with this method.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing