Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Things to do with eggs

WBF Founding Member and Super Moderator JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    don't forget the two "slaps"
    Perfect advice for Prata chefs and wives with philandering husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    Jadis, check out 1:29 on the Prata Kings video I posted. He slaps it three times. Watching that video again makes me hungry for prata. I'll have to drop by Uwajimaya today after work, and have prata for breakfast tomorrow morning

Also important, not to keep flipping it and working it when in the frying pan. It becomes tough if you bother it too much. Fry one side till brown, flip it over and brown the other side, then filp it over to crisp up the first side again. Take it off the frying pan, slap, and plate.
    Ah. Got it, Gary. Thanks again. I'll try that next time. I still got a few stocked in my freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Perfect advice for Prata chefs and wives with philandering husbands.
    Jack, if the philanderers were the prata on the video, it would like more like 'body slams' ala WWE, not just slaps.

Had been meaning to post this 'add on' my son and I did to our frozen Spring Home Roti Paratha. After frying it till it fluffs up, we sprinkled one teaspoon of brown sugar (moscovado) on the hot pan and put back the roti to absorb the melted brown sugar for maybe 5 seconds. And repeat for the other side. It has to be quick as the brown sugar might 'toast' the roti. After that, we spread a little condensed milk just like syrup on a pancake. Put some sliced banana on top and it's ready to eat. We've been doing this for several months and sometimes it can be a snack in the afternoon or dessert after a light dinner. BTW, we like the plain roti over the 9 grain RAWAN wheat Roti better, and it's cheaper too.
    Phil

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    Sounds good Phil. Reminds of Pizza we were making a few weeks ago. We had made way more than we can eat and still had more dough left. So I decided to put honey on them plus cinnamon and sliced fruit. Baked in the wood oven and it was wonderful! It looked like a Pizza except that it was desert.
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Sounds good Phil. Reminds of Pizza we were making a few weeks ago. We had made way more than we can eat and still had more dough left. So I decided to put honey on them plus cinnamon and sliced fruit. Baked in the wood oven and it was wonderful! It looked like a Pizza except that it was desert.
    That sounds yummy too, Amir. Should try doing that someday.
    Phil

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor garylkoh's Avatar
    Dessert roti prata and dessert pizza. Sounds yummy!
    www.genesisloudspeakers.com, www.absolutefidelity.com

Last week, spent a few days vacationing with the family in Hong Kong, and we lived very close to a mall wherein there is an authentic Indian fast food resto called 'Curry in a Hurry'. I had seen this place for maybe the last 10 or so years but never got to try it till I was made aware of the Roti Paratha last year in Singapore. And indeed, this one served all sorts of roti's. I tried the one with bananas and it was delicious. On our last dinner there, I suggested to my son to try the 'supreme platter' where there was roti, Indian rice, Indian 'taco', curry fried chicken and a real spicy chicken curry. I passed because I can't really eat spicy food. After a while, my son was kinda teary eyed and sniffling (he caught the colds there), and I asked if he could handle the 'hot' food'. He nodded and I told him to drink more soft drinks, and he said, 'dad, the food is soooooo good!'. I think the Indian chef has recognized us too from our last few visits.

Phil

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor garylkoh's Avatar
    Reviving this thread....... with the Egg Calculator.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator

I haven't tried all the possibilities, but the couple that I tried worked out perfectly. However, it works different with duck eggs as those have more protein in the white, so the white always end up firmer than with chicken eggs.
    www.genesisloudspeakers.com, www.absolutefidelity.com

Thanks for the thread and that great article, Gary. This is my first time seeing this. I love eggs--runny scrambled, poached, soft boiled, hard boiled and omelettes of all kinds. I have a sous vide on order and can't wait to cook eggs with it.

When making various numbers of soft boiled eggs, cook them by steaming them. Place an inch of water in a large flat pan, bring to a rolling boil, then add your eggs out of the refrigerator into the steamer basket and cover. The cooking time will be the same for one or a dozen eggs because the water isn't chilled by the cold eggs. Don't crowd the eggs in the pan. The temperature in the steam chamber portion of the pot stays constant so any number of eggs take the same amount of time to cook. Steaming takes about 30-50% longer than boiling, but it is well worth it. This gives nicely gelled whites and a yolk that is runny to firm depending on how long you cook it. Shell cracking is also rare with this method.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MEN220, MCD500, MR78-Modafferi modified, MPI4, MC602 (2), Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-E, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2), NO TV!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast