Introduction to current Rowland product lineup

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Here is the Jeff Rowland current product lineup as of January 2013. Note the new products: M925, M825, M525, Capri S2, and Continuum S2. with the new introductions, Rowland appears to have filled earlier gaps in the product line.

Up-to-date links to Rowland products reviews can be found at:

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=630

Monoblock power amplifiers:

*new* M925 4-chassis monoblock, 400W over 8 Ohms, 850 over 4 Ohms, PFC front end, regulated DC 2400W SMPS, -- Released January 2013.

* M725 monoblock, class A/B, 330W over 8 Ohms, 650 over 4 Ohms, class A/B; ceramic boards, PFC front end, regulated SMPS, 4-pole capacitors -- Released December 2011.

Bridgeable Stereo amplifiers:

*NEW* M525 -- Stereo Power Amplifier class D, 250 watts @ 8 ohms/500 watts @ 4 ohms, 1000 watts @ 8 ohms BTL (bridge-tied load) (expected release Q2 2013)

Stereo amplifiers:

*NEW* M825 -- 2-chassis Stereo Power Amplifier (with external power supply), 400W @ 8 ohms/750W @ 4 ohms (expected release 2Q 2013)

* Model 625 stereo -- class A/B, 300W over 8 Ohms, 550W over 4Ohms, class A/B; PFC front end and regulated SMPS -- Released December 2010.

*NEW* MODEL 125 -- Stereo Power Amplifier class-D, 125W @ 8 ohms/250W @ 4 ohms (expected release 2Q 2013)

* Model 102 -- class D, 100W at 8 Ohms.

Integrated amplifiers:

CONTINUUM S2 -- Integrated Amplifier, class D, 400W @ 8 ohms/800W @ 4 ohms. (expected release Q2 2013)

DACs:

* Aeris DAC / preamplifier with external power supply.

Pure Preamplifiers:

*NEW* Capri S2 -- single chassis preamplifier with optional DAC and phono cards. (released January 2013)

* Corus -- linestage with external power supply.

Accessories:

* PC-1 external PFC-based rectifier -- Make sure your compatible amp/pre is switched to 220V operations before applying PC-1, or sparks will fly!): PC-1 is compatible with Continuum 250, M501, M201, M102, Capri S2, and original Capri. Other products are NOT compatible with PC-1, or their compatibility is unknown.

Withdrawn products:

* Criterion 2-chassis preamplifier
* M312 stereo amp - class D with PFC and SMPS.
* M301 -- monoblock amplifier .
* M201 mono amp, 250W @ 8 Ohms, 500W @ 4 Ohms.
* M501 monoblock amplifier
* Capri preamplifier (original)
Continuum 500 and Continuum 250 integrated amps.

The Jeff Rowland web site at
http://www.jeffrowland.com/kb
Is an extensive Knowledge base with lots of technical info about most JRDG products.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Guido my friend

Thanks so much for taking the time to post to this site. Of all my friends you are the most knowledgeable re Jeff Rowland Design Group

The one thing from your post which I didn't know is that Continuum is part of Jeff Rowland

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Steve, definitely, Continuum 250 and 500 are part of the Rowland product line. And if memory serves, Continuum 500 may be the most successful Rowland product ever. . . . I'll open a dedicated thread to discuss Continuum. G.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve, definitely, Continuum 250 and 500 are part of the Rowland product line. And if memory serves, Continuum 500 may be the most successful Rowland product ever. . . . I'll open a dedicated thread to discuss Continuum. G.

thanks Guido

I'll look forward to it as I have heard the amp on several occasions and found it very pleasureable

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guido, I own a model 8 with choke and top plate mod. What is your opinion on the original choke vs. the later power supply mods that have followed?
I have sometimes wandered if a move to battery supply would be a way to go, have you heard the battery supplies? If so, do they have the drawbacks
that they are famous for? Such as an inability in the bottom end to fill out notes and general loss of speed and dynamics. I have not heard a battery supply model so
can only wonder.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Davey, unfortunately I have no experience with any Model 8 variants. I have gone directly from a venerable late model 7M class A/B high bias monos to a Model 312 class D stereo, and skipped about 6 generations in between. Depending on the vintage and serial number of your Model 8 unit, the factory might be able to suggest available updates... for example, not all variants can be updated to HC. As for battery power, there are urban legends according to which BP applied to high power amps reduces dynamics etc.... But having had no personal experience, I cannot be of much help on the subject one way or another.

Guido

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Just a quick update to the thread header... the Corus preamp with external AC power supply has been released ($12,200). The Model 501 monoblock amp has been withdrawn. Guido

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks Guido, The factory has several mods available for the 8. I'm not so sure that all of the mods are an improvement however. The power supply mod is for example IMHO a step backwards. I have not heard the Ti mod though , so was wondering.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Davey, I really have no experience on Model 8, hence I cannot tell you about my opinions of the Ti variant. One option is to call Ron Gaston at Black Forest Audio... he is a long time JRDG dealer and a personal friend of Mr. Rowland. Ron specializes in previous generation JRDG devices, including Model 8. I am positive he will be able to tell you which M8 variants he likes and why, and which ones he does not care for.

Ron Gaston
Black Forest Audio
Elbert, CO
<mailto:audioelan@msn.com>
call: 719 475-7501

Last edited:

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Guido, I have a new Corus but do not care for the design of the remote. Way to heavy and the buttons are to small for my taste. Can you make a suggestion for an inexpensive learning remote that will receive the Rowland codes. I want something small, light ( about the size of an Ipod touch) thar I can program just the vol up and down, mute , and a couple of imputs. Actually, I am surprised that Jeff does not supply a cool little second remote with the Criterion and the Corus. I believe a lot of users would end up using this instead of the supplied remote.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Husk, you may want to contact the factory next week and talk to JD. In the past there existed universal 3rd party remotes compatible with JRDG preamplifiers.

Interestingly, I found the layout and ergonomics of the new remote to be unusually easy to use and learn by touch alone... Conversely, remotes arranged in more typical grids like that of my TEAC X-01 I find almost impossible to memorize. The buttons on the JRDG remote are indeed somewhat small, but as they protrude nicely, I have no problem controlling them even with my slightly worn fingerpads. Yet, I realize that these matters are purely personal preferences. I will convey to the factory your preference for a lighter remote with larger buttons.

G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Updated thread starter: M725 and Aeris added to current products; Criterion withdrawn. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
JRDG has introduced 6 new products at CES 2013, with the Model 925 4-chassis mono amp being Rowland's new statement amp, retailing for a cool $58K. I have updated the thread headpost with the current lineup, and have created threads for each new product. G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing