Cable Elevators

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My speaker cables cost 70 $ in what category does this put me .:D
Dont put me in the category of believers please i m an atheist , some expensive cables do colour the sound but not all .
Why do we need cable elevators , they arent that heavy :confused:
Any one using cables costing more than USD 50 is intrinsically accepting cables sound different. :D Should we carry a poll on cable price of our members? And still many of those using low cost cables are true believers - they say the expensive cables color the sound.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Any one using cables costing more than USD 50 is intrinsically accepting cables sound different. :D Should we carry a poll on cable price of our members? And still many of those using low cost cables are true believers - they say the expensive cables color the sound.

As long as the cable I audition gets me closer to the sound I am looking for I don't care if the cables color, clip, boost or ........ the sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: johndoe21ro

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I think this thread is irrelevant. I doubt if anyone will be motivated to buy or do anything by it.

TBG, I'm curious why you think this thread is or should be any different from perhaps any other thread in this forum.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
o

I am always curious about why some think that science knows all there is to be known about nature's patterns and don't trust their ears. I think that electrical engineering knows how to make circuits that work but not enough to know how to make circuits that sound real. If many hear some circuits as sounding better it is a lazy science that doesn't seek to do research to find out why.

I was a political science professor for my career and one of the earliest to come from a natural science background as an undergraduate. I mainly taught research methods and statistics at the graduate level for many years. I am sure that few would say that political science is a science. It wasn't for many years but now there are many doing basic research.

I say this thread is irrelevant as I know no audiophiles who buys a component because it measures better. I once was at a panel where two amps were compared largely on THD and one was clearly better. With no speakers to hear the two amps, I asked if the designer of the second amp thought that THD was all important. The reaction of the presenter and audience was like I had said Jesus was the devil. I left thinking well let them sell the featured amp with low THD. I had heard it on speakers and dismissed it as worthless. I did not recognize the second amp, however.

I know that lifting my cables off the floor, especially on one isolator has repeatedly greatly improve the sound and made it have greater depth and width. I also have tried many different materials to elevate the cables. Metal, wood, rubber, brass points, and glass were all the losers. But I also know that on concrete floors or underlying floors, the impact is not as evident. This is probably because static is earthed.

But again the main point is that people don't buy depending on measurements and good science starts with the observation that A is associated with B and I wonder why.

I am always curious about why some think that science knows all there is to be known about nature's patterns and don't trust their ears. I think that electrical engineering knows how to make circuits that work but not enough to know how to make circuits that sound real. If many hear some circuits as sounding better it is a lazy science that doesn't seek to do research to find out why.

I was a political science professor for my career and one of the earliest to come from a natural science background as an undergraduate. I mainly taught research methods and statistics at the graduate level for many years. I am sure that few would say that political science is a science. It wasn't for many years but now there are many doing basic research.

I say this thread is irrelevant as I know no audiophiles who buys a component because it measures better. I once was at a panel where two amps were compared largely on THD and one was clearly better. With no speakers to hear the two amps, I asked if the designer of the second amp thought that THD was all important. The reaction of the presenter and audience was like I had said Jesus was the devil. I left thinking well let them sell the featured amp with low THD. I had heard it on speakers and dismissed it as worthless. I did not recognize the second amp, however.

I know that lifting my cables off the floor, especially on one isolator has repeatedly greatly improve the sound and made it have greater depth and width. I also have tried many different materials to elevate the cables. Metal, wood, rubber, brass points, and glass were all the losers. But I also know that on concrete floors or underlying floors, the impact is not as evident. This is probably because static is earthed.

But again the main point is that people don't buy depending on measurements and good science starts with the observation that A is associated with B and I wonder why.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I've been using "real" cable insulators for several years now for my speaker cables. I say "real" because they were at one point actually mounted on telegraph poles along side railroad tracks across the country many many years ago. I paid something like $80 shipped for a dozen of them, all in interesting random colors and finishes. There's no way in you know where I was going to pay $75 before shipping on only three "audiophile" cable insulators.

They ONLY reason I wanted them is because I think they look cool as do the cables raised up off the floor. And as a side benefit, makes vacuuming around the cables a lot easier. I honestly believe they do nothing for the sound as I have heard no difference with or without them installed. And there's plenty of others with much more expensive, much more resolving systems than mine that agree. In fact, they only use them for the same reasons I do.

Anywho, to each their own. ;)

Suggestion

I agree that others might disagree with me, but as I said that matters little to me. Incidentally, I know where my city dumps their discarded insulators. I have found that now most are glass and know they are not good. I would imagine that were you to find a rural dump for insulators you could still find ceramic ones for the taking. Mine are not shaped like yours with the rounded sides.

I would suggest that you remove all but one of the insulators.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I've been using "real" cable insulators for several years now for my speaker cables. I say "real" because they were at one point actually mounted on telegraph poles along side railroad tracks across the country many many years ago. I paid something like $80 shipped for a dozen of them, all in interesting random colors and finishes. There's no way in you know where I was going to pay $75 before shipping on only three "audiophile" cable insulators.

They ONLY reason I wanted them is because I think they look cool as do the cables raised up off the floor. And as a side benefit, makes vacuuming around the cables a lot easier. I honestly believe they do nothing for the sound as I have heard no difference with or without them installed. And there's plenty of others with much more expensive, much more resolving systems than mine that agree. In fact, they only use them for the same reasons I do.

Anywho, to each their own. ;)

Appreciate your input regarding your use of "real" cable elevators. As a former user of elevators quite similar to yours, I've no doubt your elevators' only real benefits are exactly what you listed i.e. looks and makes vacuuming easier.

But by no means should that imply your elevators' lack of performance gains is indicative of all cable elevators and cable combinations.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I agree that others might disagree with me, but as I said that matters little to me. Incidentally, I know where my city dumps their discarded insulators. I have found that now most are glass and know they are not good. I would imagine that were you to find a rural dump for insulators you could still find ceramic ones for the taking. Mine are not shaped like yours with the rounded sides.

I would suggest that you remove all but one of the insulators.

Mine certainly aren't glass. They are in fact ceramic. And if the goal is to remove static charge and vibration from the cables, then why only use one insulator while leaving the rest of the cable laying on the floor? That doesn't make sense.

Appreciate your input regarding your use of "real" cable elevators. As a former user of elevators quite similar to yours, I've no doubt your elevators' only real benefits are exactly what you listed i.e. looks and makes vacuuming easier.

But by no means should that imply your elevators' lack of performance gains is indicative of all cable elevators and cable combinations.

Whether you use paper cups, foam blocks, wood sticks tied together, or cable insulators, the results are typically the same. Looks neat and easier to clean around.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mine certainly aren't glass. They are in fact ceramic. And if the goal is to remove static charge and vibration from the cables, then why only use one insulator while leaving the rest of the cable laying on the floor? That doesn't make sense.

Whether you use paper cups, foam blocks, wood sticks tied together, or cable insulators, the results are typically the same. Looks neat and easier to clean around.

Chops

+1

Welcome!

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

TYPICALLY the same results? Sure, based on my limited experience I'll go with that. So long as you're not trying to convince yourself and/or others the performance results are ALWAYS the same based on your limited experience. For that would be silly.

Nor is there any reason to believe that yours or his evaluations are what others would find.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Nor is there any reason to believe that yours or his evaluations are what others would find.

That'll work.

“The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be." -Carl Segan "What a joke." -Me

You are forgetting that I am responding to his photo that show two ceramic insulators under one cable. In my initial posting I said that I was told and have repeatedly demonstrated that one per cable is best. In my last demonstration, a manufacturer said, "Were it not you and proving it, I would not believe it." The maker of the Rightway Audio isolators also said that every cable should have one, and one only on it. I don't do that any longer with my High Fidelity cables, but what he said proved true in my most recent systems before going to HFCables.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
TYPICALLY the same results? Sure, based on my limited experience I'll go with that. So long as you're not trying to convince yourself and/or others the performance results are ALWAYS the same based on your limited experience. For that would be silly.

Based on MY limited experience? Who are you to say what experiences I have? I have a total of 10 posts on this forum. What makes you think you know anything about me?! Wow man, get off your high horse already...

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
You are forgetting that I am responding to his photo that show two ceramic insulators under one cable. In my initial posting I said that I was told and have repeatedly demonstrated that one per cable is best. In my last demonstration, a manufacturer said, "Were it not you and proving it, I would not believe it." The maker of the Rightway Audio isolators also said that every cable should have one, and one only on it. I don't do that any longer with my High Fidelity cables, but what he said proved true in my most recent systems before going to HFCables.

Trust me, there's plenty more insulators hiding behind that sub and the other one. And it still makes zero sense what you OR Rightway Audio is saying about only using one insulator per cable. There's no point in using only one when the rest of the cable is still laying on the floor. That completely defeats the purpose no matter what you or Rightway says.

That's just as pointless as me saying that I have a total of 7 windows in my apartment but I ONLY need a single lock on ONE of them... Again, makes no sense at all.

Also, just as a side note, I wanted to point out an observation I've made since joining this site... There's seems to be a whole lot of arguments that break out on this forum, almost to the point of name calling and being downright rude. And that's only from reading through 3 or 4 different threads that I thought were interesting at first. I just left another forum due to these similar things. I sure don't want to get wrapped up in all that nonsense again.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, gentlemen. Please allow me to remind you that this is just a hobby. Let's tone it down a notch, shall we? There is not one person on this board that is exclusive to everything we need to know or for that matter, exclusive to the knowledge of what we don't even know yet in this hobby. Opinions, experiences and observations are welcome but personal comments toward one another are not. ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing