Can someone explain the fascination with muscle cars?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Never got it. I always was willing to give up the straight line acceleration for better handling.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think it's primarily an American thing. My neighbor told me that he loves his older Vette because, unlike my older european car, his was made in the US:eek:

I saw a Chrysler Barracuda convertible from the late 60's or early 70's sell recently for in the mid
$1.5 Millions! Not quite sure why this car attracted that kind of money either!:confused::confused:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There is no substitute for horsepower.....pedal to the metal.....our blessed mother of acceleration don't fail me now. I have owned a Porsche and a 1987 Pontiac GTA. The Porsche is gone but the Pontiac remains. The Porsche no doubt is a super refined car that squats down at high speed and whines beautifully. The Pontiac is rough around the edges,but the growling V8 is pure ecstasy. Now give me a Maranello V12 and I might change my mind.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I saw a Chrysler Barracuda convertible from the late 60's or early 70's sell recently for in the mid
$1.5 Millions! Not quite sure why this car attracted that kind of money either!:confused::confused:
Has to be the 1970 Hemi 'Cuda sold by Russo & Steele for $1,705,000. Like most classic cars at this time, that's actually down from the ~$2M value pre-recession. It's a Hemi. It's a convertible. Only 14 were built. The Holy Grail of muscle cars.

'71s bring even more money(!)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The outright terror they can induce. The lack of handling actually makes them more exciting. Nothing quite as scary as seeing the horizon line drop as your nose goes up along with your speedo needle. For a split second you think you just might actually flip over. That to me makes them the roller coasters of the automotive world ...dangerous but generally safe.

Oh and the SOUND. Give me a growling V8 and I'm a happy camper although a screaming 4 cylinder liter bike makes for very stiff competition in the sound department.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Has to be the 1970 Hemi 'Cuda sold by Russo & Steele for $1,705,000. Like most classic cars at this time, that's actually down from the ~$2M value pre-recession. It's a Hemi. It's a convertible. Only 14 were built. The Holy Grail of muscle cars.

'71s bring even more money(!)
That was the car I was referring to. I can't quite get my arms around the price though, even with the fact that 14 were built!:confused::confused:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
But then again if you actually looked at the 0-60 times and horsepower/torque ratings, they're not that great. Take any modern day car like the ZR-1, Viper, new Shelby Mustang and they're much better. It's not uncommon these days to see horsepower over 500 or 600. The muscle cars of old were "only" 425-475hp

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
But then again if you actually looked at the 0-60 times and horsepower/torque ratings, they're not that great. Take any modern day car like the ZR-1, Viper, new Shelby Mustang and they're much better. It's not uncommon these days to see horsepower over 500 or 600. The muscle cars of old were "only" 425-475hp

Fair enough. It's not all about torque and acceleration then. If it were, we'd all be riding Ducattis.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The outright terror they can induce. The lack of handling actually makes them more exciting.
The scariest time I ever had was my brother's 1960's or early 70's mustang with a V8. I remember having a friend with me and I wanted to show off as I turned at a light that was changing. I floored the thing and could not believe what happened next. It was as if the steering was totally disconnected. The thing kept going straight!!! The only person more scared was the friend sitting on the seat next to me! I survived it but barely.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
There's nothing like that rush that pushes you back into your seat as a high-HP vehicle accelerates. My truck is sitting at 550HP, with a custom supercharger at 10psi boost. It drives like something just a little beneath a Corvette. At 3 tons, that's quite unlike most vehicles out there. I will agree that handling is ultimately more utile than just sheer straight-line horsepower. I installed a complete Roush suspension on the truck, and my ability to go fast increased exponentially. You can only go so far in a straight line before you have to turn, unless you're on the Autobahn, etc.

Lee

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Agreed .. I believe it is nostalgia .. cars have progressed to a point where cars such as the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo ... or the Subaru XTi would likely outrun these cars in any category. Back in the days Dual Overhead Cam were very special today the Nissan Sentra has that

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tim Allen- more power!

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Cars today have more horsepower but they also have slip reduction, various forms of computer monitored chassis control, advances in suspension, massively wide tires on super big wheels with low low profiles, and thus instill more confidence as the car is not about to "lose it." I think muscle cars and non-banked American backroads go together - even if I've never owned one. Top Gear (BBC) did a great show on American muscle cars - the ZR1, Dodge and a Cadillac CTS-V and despite starting with reservations, ended up adoring them for what they are.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
the CTS-V will eat a few exotics in stock form... they designed the car with BMW M5 as the main target, beat the M5 in one on one duel, and a few more respected others along the way. If I will buy a car, this tops my list, only problem is I have to struggle to go in and out of this vehicle, so I won't. My next door neighbour (single and living by herself) has a CTS and a Corvette, she drives the CTS more.

Cars today have more horsepower but they also have slip reduction, various forms of computer monitored chassis control, advances in suspension, massively wide tires on super big wheels with low low profiles, and thus instill more confidence as the car is not about to "lose it."

Totally agreed. My Cayenne GTS may not be the fastest SUV on straight line (only 405 hp and can go 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds) but I am quite happy with it, it satisfies my need for speed. What I like about it is how well it handle in fast speed, doing 200 kph on this vehicle feel more controlled than doing 150 on the others. Mine has the Porsche dynamic chasis control system and 335/25/22 rear tires - can go really fast on twisties as well.

As for the American muscle - it is more of nostalgia I guess. My brothers in law used to have a 69 Chevelle SS highly modified and lot's of power - the sound of the burbling engine and the vibration massaging your prostate makes you forget that you are only getting 4 miles per gallon

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Never got it. I always was willing to give up the straight line acceleration for better handling.

Probably if you can answer this question you can also give insights into why Harleys are popular.

I still have a Mustang GT which I drive occasionally and it is great fun. Even though it is ancient technology (solid rear axel) you feel connected to the road with lots of feedback. Lots of warning and predictability when its going to break loose.

In a modern car, you have to look down at the instruments to realize your wheels are slipping and you are way in over your head, but just don't know it. Yet.

Much over about 350-400bhp these days is wasted as the traction control technology is just holding it back on real roads.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Smokester

I'll beg to differ with this last statement .. Without traction control your whole power is lost in your wheels spinning without any purpose ... Today's cars require much less skil to drive fast and if the skill is appropriate you will go faster on bad roads ... Truly no match .. As someone mentioned a Cadillac CTS-V will simply surpass these relics in every ways that matters plus comfort ...

@Dimfer
As for the American muscle - it is more of nostalgia I guess. My brothers in law used to have a 69 Chevelle SS highly modified and lot's of power - the sound of the burbling engine and the vibration massaging your prostate makes you forget that you are only getting 4 miles per gallon

I agree :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Well if I were bitten by the nostalgia bug and had to get a car, I'd opt for either an old Hemi 'cuda or Z-28/Chevelle and give it to someone like Chip Foose. I'd have him rebuild it from the ground up with modern technology. That's why I like the FactoryFive and Super Car Cobras and such.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
The Smokester

I'll beg to differ with this last statement .. Without traction control your whole power is lost in your wheels spinning without any purpose ... Today's cars require much less skil to drive fast and if the skill is appropriate you will go faster on bad roads ...

I don't see how we disagree.

Edit: Oh, now I see the ambiguity in what I wrote. I meant that the excess power was being held back to keep the wheels from spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing