Wadia S7i

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I was curious to see if there are any other Wadia S7i owners out there. I recently picked one up after CES and have been consistently impressed with it. So much so that there have been times where I've said to myself, "yeah, I could ditch the LPs for this."

I've had a number of Wadias over the years (861b, 861SE GNSC Statement, 270se/27ix) and have always liked them, but to me (and my acoustical memory) the S7i is a big leap forward for their single box players. I've spent some time with the 4 chassis Series 9 system and it is definitely better, but the cost is simply astounding (close to $50K... makes the $14K S7i look like a bargain).

Any other S7i owners care to share your experiences?

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I had the 921/931 combo and recall it fondly and regret selling it - if only to keep it side by side with what I've got now. I'm curious how you would characterize the S7i; there was something about the 900 series that was so very different. I'm curious what you hear and will hold off on my thoughts so as not to cloud your judgment!

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I had the 921/931 combo and recall it fondly and regret selling it - if only to keep it side by side with what I've got now. I'm curious how you would characterize the S7i; there was something about the 900 series that was so very different. I'm curious what you hear and will hold off on my thoughts so as not to cloud your judgment!

I'll post some more listening impressions this evening. As to the 921/931 I have to agree that there is something about it that is very different. I always likened it to a well setup analog rig when everything clicks into place and all of the parameters are set correctly there's a certain effortlessness to it. Music just comes out.

With my limited experience with the 921/931 I got a similar feeling. All to often with digital there's a feeling of a lot of work being done to get the information off of the disc, process it, and turn it into a signal. With the 921/931 I get that same feeling of effortlessness. I get a very similar feeling with the S7i.

I have never heard a bad Wadia product. My only concern was IIRC they were in and out of business on more than one occasion

Agree on both points. I started playing with their products late in the game (in 2006) and at the time they barely had a product. The 581 was on the horizon, but was only shipping in spurts. This was around the time that the current independent management acquired the company. I decided to go with a review sample of the 270se and 27ix as I knew that I would be able to get support on that product from a third party (Steve @ GNSC). By 2008 the product line had stabilized and they seemed like a very viable option. They were even talking about a prototype surround processor at the 2008 CES. That's about the time that my dealer picked them up. He was always down on Wadia due to their inability to operate like a real company, but he's been very happy with the current management.

Their recent acquisition by Fine Sounds will likely only help if their past actions with Sonus Faber and ARC are any indication.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
As my listening preferences have evolved over the years I've come to rely on my digital source less in favor of analog. About three years ago I had a Wadia 861se with the GNSC statement modification which rarely saw any use as I was spinning vinyl about 95% of the time. I decided to sell it in favor of upgrading my turntable, which was a decision I came to regret.

Around the first of this year I decided that my current digital rig wasn't cutting it so I asked my dealer for some advice (he carries Esoteric and Wadia). After some discussion we came to the conclusion that the S7i was likely a better fit for my preferences and he offered to loan me his demo unit for a few weeks.

Listening Impressions

My biggest issue with digital has always been a lack of realism when reproducing harmonically complex instruments. My go-to evaluation always centers around strings and I'll usually choose a violin concerto or cello concerto.

In the case of the S7i I loaded up Piatigorsky's performance of Dvorak's Cello Concerto on XRCD. This has always been one of my favorites and I have ended up evaluating a number of components with it. I typically find that digital playback of this performance leaves the cello sounding hollow, as if the body wasn't made of wood. I also typically find that the strings in the orchestra have a similar character.

After listening to this piece on the S7i I found the entire performance to have a level of richness and texture that rivaled the LP. This wasn't an issue of component voicing (the S7i didn't sound warmer than other players) it was the result of an incredible level of detail retrieval. To quote any printed equipment review... "it was like a veil was lifted..."

As I got to know the S7i over the course of a few days I came to realize that it has the ability to pull a ton of information out of a redbook CD and serve it up. The thing that I had to become accustomed to was that it wasn't the typical "detailed" or "analytical" digital device. There's a ton of information coming out of it, but it's not the useless information.

A lot of times I think of digital playback as being like a drawing. The typical "detailed" components seem to be more concerned with precisely defining the outlines of the shapes, to the point of tearing through the paper. Although the S7i does a very good job at defining the shapes in the drawing the impressive part is its ability to get all of the shading right. The shapes allow you to identify the subject of the drawing and the shading makes it look realistic. In my opinion the S7i has done a very good job of balancing a clearly defined outline with proper shading.

This is what I meant in my statement above about effortlessness. With the S7i your brain doesn't need to do as much work to fill in the gaps and shade the drawing... which makes it much easier to sit and enjoy the music.

I've found that the 921/931 has the same quality, but to a slightly higher level. I just need to figure out if that incremental improvement justifies the (very) significant price difference.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Wadia GNSC S7i

I use a Wadia S7i GNSC, after having had a 781i; both machines are superb, I am very happy now ;-)
I personnally enjoy listening to Piano, as the attack and decay of a Piano are my real pleasure as a listener (I am a professional violinist). I would be interested, how you run it? Directly? I currently use it direct into a Berning ZH230 with a Stella Opus/Novus Speaker system.

A series 9 would be an interesting experience, especially by GNSC; unfortunately they are not to come by in Europe..

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I use a Wadia S7i GNSC, after having had a 781i; both machines are superb, I am very happy now ;-)
I personnally enjoy listening to Piano, as the attack and decay of a Piano are my real pleasure as a listener (I am a professional violinist). I would be interested, how you run it? Directly? I currently use it direct into a Berning ZH230 with a Stella Opus/Novus Speaker system.

A series 9 would be an interesting experience, especially by GNSC; unfortunately they are not to come by in Europe..

I've found the piano reproduction on the S7i to be excellent... again rivals some of the best analog.

When my system is back together I'll be running mine through a VTL TL-7.5 Series III. In the mean time I'll be running it direct into the MB-450s. I've done some casual comparisons and found that (for my taste) I prefer the sonics of the S7i when run through the VTL rather than direct.

steves71

Apr 4, 2011
On a recommendation from Steve @ GNSC I purchased a S7i about a month ago to replace my 861b GNSC Reference and couldn't be happier. Following another one of his recommendations I connected a Mac Mini to the S7i's usb input to use as a music server. I now find myself listening and enjoying the music much more than ever before.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Egidius and Steves71
Can you describe the sounddifference bween S71 and a GNSC modded S71. Thanks

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Egidius and Steves71
Can you describe the sounddifference bween S71 and a GNSC modded S71. Thanks

So sorry, have to pass: I owned the 781i followed by the S7i - both in GNSC statement modifications. I can guess that the S7 is even silkier and finer textured than the 781, but it being the same family i am very careful there. I cannot imagine it does make it worse ;-) as they basically work based on intrinsic knowledge; if Wadia would do it, they would probably do it pretty much the same - has anybody ever asked them? egidius

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
So sorry, have to pass: I owned the 781i followed by the S7i - both in GNSC statement modifications. I can guess that the S7 is even silkier and finer textured than the 781, but it being the same family i am very careful there. I cannot imagine it does make it worse ;-) as they basically work based on intrinsic knowledge; if Wadia would do it, they would probably do it pretty much the same - has anybody ever asked them? egidius

I am sorry, what did you say? I do would be interested in this comparison. Are you saying you don't know or don't want to do it?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I just sold my Burmester 089 CDP/PRE/DAC. Why? Because I could then buy a world class tube preamp (I know Wadia has digital volume control) and a Wadia S7i. But in all honesty, I know nothing about Wadia. I bought the S7i because of Steve @ GNSC. He knows Wadia inside and out, and he is a very approachable guy, and very knowledgeable. I am a big modify fan, and Steve is great to shoot the audio breeze with. Sorry, no pics, as I just placed my order yesterday.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
S7i better than 781i??

I am sorry, what did you say? I do would be interested in this comparison. Are you saying you don't know or don't want to do it?

I simply do not trust my memories - I wanted to sell the 781 for prioritising, then missed it so much, i went back to the brand but for the supposedly better S7i: Is that now a good sign for the 781,
or - considering that i am happy again - for the S7i.

Either way, they are truly brilliant. I do mind though, that their USB does not pass over 96Khz, I am a musician using those files day in and out, so I either go the CD way, or fresh high res files via metric halo.

FWIW ;-)

e

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I simply do not trust my memories - I wanted to sell the 781 for prioritising, then missed it so much, i went back to the brand but for the supposedly better S7i: Is that now a good sign for the 781,
or - considering that i am happy again - for the S7i.

Either way, they are truly brilliant. I do mind though, that their USB does not pass over 96Khz, I am a musician using those files day in and out, so I either go the CD way, or fresh high res files via metric halo.

FWIW ;-)

e

Thanks for response. I too, am very confused as to why no 24/192. Short sightedness or done for a reason other than saving money?

ssubbaroyan

Sep 19, 2011
I purchased the Wadia S7i a few months ago to replace my Wadia 861 SE. This CD player is a significant leap forward from previous Wadia players. It is by far the one of the more rewarding stereo gear purchases I have made. Although expensive, the improvements are stunning. It is far more musical than any other CD player I have auditioned.

wadiabias

Dec 6, 2011
Ann Arbor MI
Wadia 24/192

Thanks for response. I too, am very confused as to why no 24/192. Short sightedness or done for a reason other than saving money?

Wadia has not switched to 24/192 yet but will be offering it early next year. This is one of Wadia top projects and should be ready in the next couple of months. Part of the delay was finding an input clocking chip that was equal to the quality of the 24/96.

The 24/192 USB chip will also be Clocklinked which should take the USB to the next level.

I have heard the 121's USB input and it is very good. 2012 could be a very interesting year for Wadia.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Wadia has not switched to 24/192 yet but will be offering it early next year. This is one of Wadia top projects and should be ready in the next couple of months. Part of the delay was finding an input clocking chip that was equal to the quality of the 24/96.

The 24/192 USB chip will also be Clocklinked which should take the USB to the next level.

I have heard the 121's USB input and it is very good. 2012 could be a very interesting year for Wadia.

Good to hear, thanks. I love the fact that Wadia allows their customers to upgrade. 2 thumbs way up!

krell_man

Dec 16, 2011
I bought my S7i after having a 581se and then a 781i this past June. After having it for a few months, I had it modified, allowing Peter to take it as far as he wanted to, cost no object. I just received it back from him Dec. 2. If you think the stock S7i is special, I can't even begin to tell you how good my modded S7i sounds. It is a completely different monster.

I had four serious audiophile friends come in town from Nevada, North Carolina, Virginia and Illinios to hear it the same weekend that it arrived As it came out of the box and only burned in as Peter worked on it, the main comment that kept coming out of everyone's mouth was that this didn't sound like any CD player that they'd ever heard before, in fact, it didn't sound like a CD player. The other comment that kept popping up was that my system was no longer neutral, it was now natural.

The stock S7i is world class in its own right, but like any component that's made to hit a price point, it has so much more to give!

Chuck

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I bought my S7i after having a 581se and then a 781i this past June. After having it for a few months, I had it modified, allowing Peter to take it as far as he wanted to, cost no object. I just received it back from him Dec. 2. If you think the stock S7i is special, I can't even begin to tell you how good my modded S7i sounds. It is a completely different monster.

I had four serious audiophile friends come in town from Nevada, North Carolina, Virginia and Illinios to hear it the same weekend that it arrived As it came out of the box and only burned in as Peter worked on it, the main comment that kept coming out of everyone's mouth was that this didn't sound like any CD player that they'd ever heard before, in fact, it didn't sound like a CD player. The other comment that kept popping up was that my system was no longer neutral, it was now natural.

The stock S7i is world class in its own right, but like any component that's made to hit a price point, it has so much more to give!

Chuck

Good for you! - Would you elaborate, what Peter (which one, there are a few million ;-) did?
thanks, egidius

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing