Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

• None, have reached analog nirvana!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Arm

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Phono cable

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Phono section

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • New base/stand

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Speed control

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Platter, clamp, motor, plinth, etc.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Set-up Tools

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Contemplating replacing my beloved Linn....Or, updating it to Radikal status with an unknown arm. The limitations of the arm is what is giving me second thoughts. But going in another direction away from the Linn is not going to be pretty on the pocket book....Ugh, this hobby can be a PITA sometimes:(

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
My purchase is now in house.
TW Raven GT
TW 10.5
Ortofon Winfeld
SRA base
I am one happy music lover

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Congrats and I hope it brings you years of musical enjoyment.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Just finished a week long set up and listening of a new Well Tempered Amadeus GTA with Sumiko Celebration 2 cartridge. Outstanding! Going to be a lot of long listening sessions this winter.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A real looker Bob! May I ask what the table is?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Bob-
WOW!!!

Enjoy in good health!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
A Brinkmann Balance should land in the coming weeks. I had the opportunity to meet Helmut Brinkmann right after I placed my order and he told me that he was back ordered and that I should be patient as he and his team had to build one...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Time to bring you boys down a notch or two or three and show you what us mere mortals use. I'm personally very pleased to tell you that I just installed an Ortofon 2M Black. I also installed the Pete Riggle CCM counterweight. For a mere $600 I think I did well. oh....and that $12 Digital Stylus Force Gauge works like a charm. ;)

IMG_1475.JPG

Wrm57

Oct 30, 2012
Hi All,

Only my second post but I've been lurking for a while. Nice feel to this board.

Catastrofe, that's a killer-looking combo! No doubt it sounds even better.

John, I've heard good things about the 2M Black. Supposed to be a terrific value.

DCC, congrats on your Balance. I nearly picked up a used one recently. It was extremely tempting.

Instead, wanting to try out a direct drive, I opted for a lesser Brinkmann, the Oasis. Although I didn't know it before the deal was consummated, the turntable belongs to Micha Huber of Thales, and was sold through a friend. It should ship from Switzerland tomorrow. I have an idler now and I've owned a few belt drives but never a direct drive, so I'm pretty excited about it!

Brinkmann_Oasis_2.jpg

It's coming with armboards for Graham, Tri-planar, and (of course) Thales. I'll run the Tri- on it at first, with an A90.

Best,
Bill

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi All,

Only my second post but I've been lurking for a while. Nice feel to this board.

Castrophe, that's a killer-looking combo! No doubt it sounds even better.

John, I've heard good things about the 2M Black. Supposed to be a terrific value.

DCC, congrats on your Balance. I nearly picked up a used one recently. It was extremely tempting.

Instead, wanting to try out a direct drive, I opted for a lesser Brinkmann, the Oasis. Although I didn't know it before the deal was consummated, the turntable belongs to Micha Huber of Thales, and was sold through a friend. It should ship from Switzerland tomorrow. I have an idler now and I've owned a few belt drives but never a direct drive, so I'm pretty excited about it!

View attachment 7936

It's coming with armboards for Graham, Tri-planar, and (of course) Thales. I'll run the Tri- on it at first, with an A90.

Best,
Bill

Another great looking TT. Nice!:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Time to bring you boys down a notch or two or three and show you what us mere mortals use. I'm personally very pleased to tell you that I just installed an Ortofon 2M Black. I also installed the Pete Riggle CCM counterweight. For a mere $600 I think I did well. oh....and that $12 Digital Stylus Force Gauge works like a charm. ;)

John-It looks like a dust storm just landed on your LP.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-It looks like a dust storm just landed on your LP.

LOL...I know. I couldn't see it with my naked eye and removed it after I took the pic for a clean.

Dust is an issue for me though as I live on main thoroughfare and it's a constant battle. I hate having to keep my windows closed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing