Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

• None, have reached analog nirvana!

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Arm

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Phono cable

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Phono section

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • New base/stand

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Speed control

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Platter, clamp, motor, plinth, etc.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Set-up Tools

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I would love to buy a vintage kenwood L07D, a microseiki or technics sp 10 mk 3

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I am probably just suffering from audiophile nervousa. I have a very satisfying sound now. Just did an update on my Wavestream phono stage which probably removed some small amount of grain but it was already good enough that I might have saved my money.

Since the Wavestream is a completely active tubed phono stage (no step up transformers), and I have a low output MC cartridge, it is difficult (expensive and time consuming) to find good sounding and low noise input tubes. I recently changed out some really great-sounding, but noisey, Amperex A-frame 6922's on the front end to some ECC88 Tele's which lowered the noise to almost undetectable levels at even the loudest SPL's I use. I am not a high SPL guy but many of my friends want to test the limits when they come over to listen so I did this mainly to accommodate them. Still, it takes many days of tube rolling to come up with the best tubes.

I am contemplating making a FET-based head amp to put in front of the Wavestream...I would get Scott to put a switch in to correspondingly lower the gain of the Wavestream. This would give me more flexibility in choosing tubes.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Can an FET head amp be transparent enough? I am completely satisfied at the moment and don't want to mess up the sound.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Hi, John,

Good to see you on a board, long time no hear.

As you know, a transformer into the MM will be the quietest input, but may require a bit of experimentation to find the one most synergistic.

I have an Allnic head amp based on nuvistors, inevitably some tube rush in order to get the benefits of a very specific and deep soundstage over the built in transformers, which are completely noise free. However, as long as the cartridge output is over .3mV, I really prefer the head amp's sound quality.

I think you are describing a common dilemma with analog. I have come to regard the "noise companion" the necessary condition of the best analog sound, and have chosen to embrace it somewhat rather than fuss about it.

I had an Accuphase head amp shortly, still had some noise. You may get somewhat quieter performance with an FET, but I think it would dry out the sound and lose some "bloom" if you are coming from an all tube front end.

That actually might be preferable depending on how lush or bloomy the rest of your system sounds.

I think with cartridges at .2mV and below, that a transformer is really the best solution with whatever compromises it might entail. With outputs in the higher ranges, a head amp is a better choice.

Outside of the Allnic current production nuvistor head amp, which is expensive, the "vintage" Accuphase head amps are probably some of the best sounding and quietest available.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Hi, John,

Good to see you on a board, long time no hear.

As you know, a transformer into the MM will be the quietest input, but may require a bit of experimentation to find the one most synergistic.

I have an Allnic head amp based on nuvistors, inevitably some tube rush in order to get the benefits of a very specific and deep soundstage over the built in transformers, which are completely noise free. However, as long as the cartridge output is over .3mV, I really prefer the head amp's sound quality.

I think you are describing a common dilemma with analog. I have come to regard the "noise companion" the necessary condition of the best analog sound, and have chosen to embrace it somewhat rather than fuss about it.

I had an Accuphase head amp shortly, still had some noise. You may get somewhat quieter performance with an FET, but I think it would dry out the sound and lose some "bloom" if you are coming from an all tube front end.

That actually might be preferable depending on how lush or bloomy the rest of your system sounds.

I think with cartridges at .2mV and below, that a transformer is really the best solution with whatever compromises it might entail. With outputs in the higher ranges, a head amp is a better choice.

Outside of the Allnic current production nuvistor head amp, which is expensive, the "vintage" Accuphase head amps are probably some of the best sounding and quietest available.

Carl,
Thanks for the reply. Wow, I've been searching for you guys all over the internet now that I am back into audio. Hail. The gang's all here!!!!

Yes it is a dilemma...I chose the active path after trying many, many step ups...None were acceptable or as good as the Wavestream (to my ears) but maybe there is one out there that would work. Whatever would go on the front would have to absolutely neutral.

Got time to come over for a listen? My system is up and running. Just let me know.

Best, John

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
John,

I would love to hear it sometime.

Steve is having a BAAS get together on June 27th, hosting Gregadd who is the moderator of the Allnic forum. Since I have shifted to Allnic gear in recent years, Graig may come over to hear the stuff after the main shindig at Steve's if time or circumstances permit. It would be a good opportunity to get back on the BAAS bandwagon.

I would probably recommend one of the Accuphase head amps for max neutrality , quietness and sound quality in a transistorized unit. I opened up a C 7 when I had it, the build quality is just unbelievable, and the Accuphase C 17 is probably the mother of all transistor head amps. The vintage Pioneer C-Z1 is another good one, but tends to be unobtanium.

The Allnic nuvistor head amp is a transcendent breed, probably the best blend of tube dimensionality and transistor neutrality, but major $$$.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Steve, Took the buyout from LLNL two years ago. Have had many adventures in the past couple of years. Looking forward to seeing you and the others next. Best, John

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My latest contemplation, rather commitment is for a new table and arm.

For the table (Not quite available yet)...Clearaudio MASTER Innovation w/ Magnetic drive, motor now removed from the plinth, so 3 arm options.

As for the arm ? Talea 2 seems to be at the top of my list for now.

Photo's removed as it was a concept table and not the master innovation. Here is a pic of the protoype master innovation.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Waiting for my Durand Telos arm :D

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
HI ALL- before my big change -I picked up a pair of tesla le subwoofer cables and a pair of tesla le rel spec subwoofer reference cables- trying to break them in before the CAT statements arrived next weekend.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just recently got a 1:32 step up from Lamm replacing the stock 1:9.6, huge improvement all around since all but one of my carts is in the .3mV range. Knut Cornils of Valvet also built me a 4 input phonostage with 1x1:10 , 2 x 1:20 and an MM input which I loaded with a pair of TFK 803s and a pair of 801s. This is a killer phono stage. It looks like it will join the line regular Valvet line-up soon. So far, it's the only one in existence.

I'm on a waitlist for both Lyra's new top dog and Transfiguration's Orpheus (9 months and counting). Stig has only two units allocated for the Philippines for the first run and Jim and I took them. Thomas of TW also owes me an arm turret for my third arm. Other than that things are pretty much the same.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HI ALL- before my big change -I picked up a pair of tesla le subwoofer cables and a pair of tesla le rel spec subwoofer reference cables- trying to break them in before the CAT statements arrived next weekend.

Cable cooker :) ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just recently got a 1:32 step up from Lamm replacing the stock 1:9.6, huge improvement all around since all but one of my carts is in the .3mV range. Knut Cornils of Valvet also built me a 4 input phonostage with 1x1:10 , 2 x 1:20 and an MM input which I loaded with a pair of TFK 803s and a pair of 801s. This is a killer phono stage. It looks like it will join the line regular Valvet line-up soon. So far, it's the only one in existence.

I'm on a waitlist for both Lyra's new top dog and Transfiguration's Orpheus (9 months and counting). Stig has only two units allocated for the Philippines for the first run and Jim and I took them. Thomas of TW also owes me an arm turret for my third arm. Other than that things are pretty much the same.

Yes, I'm still waiting for the new Lyra too :)

I've heard the Orpheus and always wanted to get one to hear in my system. At CES, in the Spiral Groove arm (and table), the Orpheus was top notch. Very neutral, quick and revealing of information and space.

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
hey guys thanks so for the heads up on the cable cooker-I forgot I have this wally shop deluxe box-and it does burn in cables- as Spanky say's to alfalfa- where are you going-I don't know but I'm on my way...

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
Thinking about the Volvere SP or sticking with another Michell (Orbe SE) to go with the SME V and whatever cartridge i am using that day.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Stargate , i envy you about the cat statements arriving :D( oh that was an older post , they must have arrived long time ago):D

Changes contemplated after i finish my new speakers are :

one of these 2 tonearms (pics are from halcros sytem) copperhead or da vinci with a custom machined block implemented next to the SME somehow.
And i also want to buy a FR 66/ 64 at one point , as they get good comments from the vinyl addicts , i like good vintage stuff

cobra by andromeda61, on Flickr

and a london reference cartridge

products_cartridges_londondecca_reference by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing