View Poll Results: Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • None, have reached analog nirvana!

10 16.13%
  • Turntable

21 33.87%
  • Cartridge

25 40.32%
  • Arm

18 29.03%
  • Phono cable

9 14.52%
  • Phono section

18 29.03%
  • New base/stand

8 12.90%
  • Speed control

5 8.06%
  • Platter, clamp, motor, plinth, etc.

9 14.52%
  • Set-up Tools

4 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]

Any Changes to the Analog Front-End Being Contemplated?

Ok guys and gals. What is everyone planning on as the next upgrade to their analog rig?

[WBF Founding Member] vinylphilemag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Ok guys and gals. What is everyone planning on as the next upgrade to their analog rig?
    Great question, Myles! My highest priority is to replace my aging Lyra Parnassus. Depending on how much cash I can muster, I'm considering the Lyra Titan i or the AIr Tight PC-1 Supreme (I'll not be trading in my Parnassus because I'd like the option to upgrade it to an Olympos at some stage). Following that would be a worthy phono stage. The phono stage in my ARC SP-9 Mk 2 is surprisingly good, but I feel a dedicated phono stage is a mjst for a vinyl junkie like me. I'm eyeing up the ARC PH-7 or the Reference Phono 2.

My Forsell TT is also starting to show its age, but a suitable upgrade is quite a ways off for the time being...
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

[WBF Founding Member]
    I need to change everything. My old SOTA / Premier / Grado combination has served well for quite some time but I'm not going to do any more tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylphilemag View Post
    Great question, Myles! My highest priority is to replace my aging Lyra Parnassus. Depending on how much cash I can muster, I'm considering the Lyra Titan i or the AIr Tight PC-1 Supreme (I'll not be trading in my Parnassus because I'd like the option to upgrade it to an Olympos at some stage). Following that would be a worthy phono stage. The phono stage in my ARC SP-9 Mk 2 is surprisingly good, but I feel a dedicated phono stage is a mjst for a vinyl junkie like me. I'm eyeing up the ARC PH-7 or the Reference Phono 2.

My Forsell TT is also starting to show its age, but a suitable upgrade is quite a ways off for the time being...
    Yes, as good as the Parnassus was, it's been superceded. The biggest thing is in the area of dynamics.

If I was shopping in the area you're talking about, I'd give a listen to the ZYX Omega, Ortofon, Dynavector 1-T or 1-S, Clearaudio DaVinci--and maybe wait and see what J. Carr has to offer this summer as a replacement for the Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
    I need to change everything. My old SOTA / Premier / Grado combination has served well for quite some time but I'm not going to do any more tweaks.
    Well you don't lack for choices any more. And as you said, your present rig doesn't owe you anything. Maybe updating the SOTA and a new arm and cartridge? Or you looking for something new?

[WBF Founding Member]
    Yes, choices are surprisingly abundant. Who would have predicted that a few years ago? I've researched the SOTA upgrade path but also have my eye on the VPI Classic, Aries III, and Super Scoutmaster. As for cartridges, I want a change from Grados. My preamps are ARC SP-9 / Bugle Boys and Anthem PRE-1. I need to research input sensitivity but it appears that they will both handle medium output moving coils.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    If I was shopping in the area you're talking about, I'd give a listen to the ZYX Omega, Ortofon, Dynavector 1-T or 1-S, Clearaudio DaVinci--and maybe wait and see what J. Carr has to offer this summer as a replacement for the Titan.
    Yes, a replacement for the Titan i (presumably using the new geometry from the Helikon (is that the right one? I forget now; the most recent Lyra cartridge is the one I'm trying to recall)) would also be a good idea (and the others you mention. "Fortunately", cash isn't exactly burning a hole in my wallet right now, so I'm not looking for an immediate solution.
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
    My preamps are ARC SP-9 / Bugle Boys and Anthem PRE-1. I need to research input sensitivity but it appears that they will both handle medium output moving coils.
    My ARC SP-9 Mk 2 has just about enough gain for my rather low output Parnausses, which is rated at 0.3 mV. So a medium output MC should be OK.
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    Looking for a phono preamp to replace my Dynavector P-75. Using a Dyna XX2mkII on a Hanss T-20 table w/an Audiomods Rega arm. Any recs for things new or used under 2K would be greatly appreciated -- am new to phono preamps so haven't heard much of whats out there. Did here a Sutherland Hubble in my system brieflly and thought it was great, but more than I want to spend at the moment.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    3 years ago i started down a path of adding 2 additional tt's to my system in addition to my Rockport. in addition to the 2 tt's i wanted 4 arms; 1 for a Mono cartridge, 2 for LOMC's, and one with a changable headshell to play with low cost MM's and MI's. i'm almost there with changes.

--will trade my Dobbins Technics SP-10 Mk3 for Steve Dobbin's new tt, 'The Beat'. it will have 2 Reed arms. i should have that mid-june or 'so'.

--have ordered a Talea uni-pivot arm from Joel Durrand and should have it by mid-June. this will go on my Dobbins-Garrard 301.

--i'm in the process of selecting an additional 'vintage' arm with a removable headshell which will also go on the Garrard. that will happen 'soon'.

hopefully by the end of June all these things will have happened and i'll be able to enjoy 5 arms and three tt's as i had imagined i could.

--one other change i recently made was the addition of the Audio Systeme Disk Vinyl Record Cleaner system. i also acquired 2500+ Lps recently. instead of posting over the last month or so i've been cleaning and listening to new (old) music. it's been great fun.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast