Raid

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) comes in many flavors but the consumer in general uses raid 1, mirroring.
One disk is an exact copy of the other so if one fails you still have all of your data on the other drive.
This is an excellent way to protect you against loosing your music collection due to hard disk failure.
It won't protects you against dropping the unit (kids, cats, dogs, drunk), water, fire, theft, etc.

It won't protect you against user errors like deleting the wrong files or applying the wrong tags. Sounds logical but I have the feeling that a lot of people think they are save because they have a RAID system.
As far as user errors are concerned, the difference between RAID and a single HD is that with RAID all your stupidities are stored redundant.

Mean Time Between Failure for a HD is 500,000 hours.
What is yours?
Make a backup before you say to yourself "I should have made a backup"!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
+1000. I have had my RAID and backup fail, not pretty. My main desktop is now backed up to an internal drive daily and external drive weekly. It's not really good enough, but until I get a higher-bandwidth external connection or decide to leave the desktop on more it'll have to do.

I am thinking of getting a JBOD case and eSATA card to set up a better grade of RAID...

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
I backup all the PCs to a NAS
The NAS is synchronized once a week to a NAS at my sister’s house over the internet.
This done using Rsync, very frugal on bandwidth as only blocks with changed contents are transferred.
Basically Rsync is a kind of editor….

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Vincent,

Do you have to use Rsync to synchronize a multi-terabyte drive remotely or can you somehow do it when the NAS are on the same local network so that the initial transfer is fast? I dread the thought of uploading my data via the Internet, even if I have a very fast (by Internet access standards) connection. 10Mbps is not quite the same as 1000 or better, eSata.

Vincent Kars

Jul 1, 2010
You can do both.
Rsync requires the 2 NAS to be in a network, might be local (LAN), might be global (WAN).
What I have done is a Rsync in the LAN (indeed for performance sake and to inspect the results) then moved one to my sister's house.
But you can also do a copy from NAS1 to NAS2 using Explorer, FTP, USB, etc. any other possible mode of data transfer local and then switch to Rsync for a sync over the internet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing