New Lexicon Processor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Some of you may know that Harman has a clever room EQ that currently only exists in the JBL Synthesis DSP stack (SDEC-4500) and JBL BassQ (manages four subs). We use this in our showroom to drive a 20-speaker system (soon to be expanded to 40). I have to say, the performance is superb. The dynamics and clarity is mind boggling. Here is a picture of them in our rack:

You may have also heard that the above technology is finding itself in a new Lexicon processor. The information about the device is confidential since it is not yet released. But while chasing an answer to a question, I got permission to release these two tidbits of information:

1. The device will have sub equalization for up to four devices. This will perform the Harman Sound Field Management (SFM) where the algorithm first attempts to equalize both frequency response and levels of all the subs at the listening position(s). Once there, then the general room EQ system optimizes all of them globally. In other words, the system makes the cluster of four subs the same as a single sub but with far better response.

2. The resolution of the system will be higher than even SDEC-4500 (which operates at 24-bit/96 KHz). They won't let me say more than this :). Suffice it to say it is exciting to see so much horsepower become available in a conventional home theater processor package. Its functionality sums all the boxes I have in the above picture.

The device is not yet shipping. While I hear optimistic reports from the factory, I tend to be conservative on such things. So for now, if you need a processor today go and buy something else. But if like me, you can wait, this is really one to watch.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The device will have sub equalization for up to four devices. This will perform the Harman Sound Field Management (SFM) where the algorithm first attempts to equalize both frequency response and levels of all the subs at the listening position(s). Once there, then the general room EQ system optimizes all of the globally. In other words, the system makes the cluster of four subs the same as a single sub but with far better response.
Thanks Amir. This is the SSP to wait for. Looks like I will be selling my BassQ and adding 2 more subs by the end of the year.

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Some of you may know that Harman has a clever room EQ that currently only exists in the JBL Synthesis DSP stack (SDEC-4500) and JBL BassQ (manages four subs). We use this in our showroom to drive a 20-speaker system (soon to be expanded to 40). I have to say, the performance is superb. The dynamics and clarity is mind boggling. Here is a picture of them in our rack:

You may have also heard that the above technology is finding itself in a new Lexicon processor. The information about the device is confidential since it is not yet released. But while chasing an answer to a question, I got permission to release these two tidbits of information:

1. The device will have sub equalization for up to four devices. This will perform the Harman Sound Field Management (SFM) where the algorithm first attempts to equalize both frequency response and levels of all the subs at the listening position(s). Once there, then the general room EQ system optimizes all of them globally. In other words, the system makes the cluster of four subs the same as a single sub but with far better response.

2. The resolution of the system will be higher than even SDEC-4500 (which operates at 24-bit/96 KHz). They won't let me say more than this :). Suffice it to say it is exciting to see so much horsepower become available in a conventional home theater processor package. Its functionality sums all the boxes I have in the above picture.

The device is not yet shipping. While I hear optimistic reports from the factory, I tend to be conservative on such things. So for now, if you need a processor today go and buy something else. But if like me, you can wait, this is really one to watch.

We have this system in our Reference Listening Rooms, and the combination of SFM with 4 x 15-inch subs and room correction makes it sound very good indeed. I can't wait for the new Lexicon box since it will allow us to do SFM, room correction, state of the art surround sound processing (and much more) all in one neat package/box. It makes me sad when I have to go home and listen to my own sound system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Don't let the bosses read what you just wrote Sean, they might just realize that you love your overtime hours too much! ;) ;) ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have the Lexicon MC12HD B and am thinking of upgrading. I have owned 4 Lexicon processors over the years and I recall one time that Lexicon had an upgrade program where they took your old unit in as trade. I am sure this is pipe dreaming but any word on this as a possibility.

I know, two chances, slim and none :)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Can anyone speculate as to what MSRP of this new Lexicon will be
I could but have been sworn to secrecy. However, I can say that it will not be much different from the pre-discount pricing of the MC12HD B and cheaper (with less DSP) than the ensuing Levinson version.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Having only two speakers just a few feet from my head and no subs, I have no use for such processing power, but I must admit that my pulse quickens just a bit when simply looking at the pictures. Toys. Glorious, wondrous toys. Can there be too many?

Tim

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Can anyone speculate as to what MSRP of this new Lexicon will be

I know the expected price, but I cannot say either. I couldn't afford the previous model, so unless it's much cheaper I won't be owning one.

It's sad when audio scientists cannot afford their own toys that they helped develop :( I suppose it's not any different at NASA :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know the expected price, but I cannot say either. I couldn't afford the previous model, so unless it's much cheaper I won't be owning one.

It's sad when audio scientists cannot afford their own toys that they helped develop :( I suppose it's not any different at NASA :)

gosh everyone knows the MSRP except me it seems

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I could but have been sworn to secrecy. However, I can say that it will not be much different from the pre-discount pricing of the MC12HD B and cheaper (with less DSP) than the ensuing Levinson version.

Sounds almost like: "I can tell you but then I'll have to kill you!" :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing