Oppo BDP93 as DAC?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hi all!

I own this player an trying to use it as a DAC for mi iMac server, i misplaced its manual so I was wondering if this is possible or not.

I have already plugged an USB cable from the USB port of the iMac to the only available USB jack at the Oppo, but looks it is not that simple since I do not get signal to my amp.

Anyone out there who have tried and succeded trying this?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My memory is a bit hazy but I recall researching this and the USB cannot be used for that purpose.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Bob, the manual is online here: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP93/BDP-93 English Manual v2.21.pdf

The key material is on page 42. In particular, this states:

'This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
may not be compatible.'

Cheers,
Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Frank! ...His question was regarding if you can stream high res audio from NAS over the Internet.
{He did call Oppo to confirm, but was told by other people the exact contrary! So he had to make sure!}

* I proposed him to check over at AVS Forum; which he did, and yes the Oppo BDP-93 can!
So now he has already ordered his BDP-93 BD player. :)

TY,
Bob

P.S. There is sometimes a difference between what the manufacturer claims and what actually happens when owners are experimenting! ...You know what I mean...

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
If you have the Oppo connected via USB to the MacMini, you can look in the Audio MIDI setup panel to see if the Oppo is recognized as an output device choice. If so, it'll probably play OK.

Lee

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Bob, the manual is online here: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP93/BDP-93 English Manual v2.21.pdf

The key material is on page 42. In particular, this states:

'This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
may not be compatible.'

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, it looks that the USB port at the Oppo is not intended to serve as an input to the DAC and drive the iMac as server....

Last edited:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
His question was regarding if you can stream high res audio from NAS over the Internet.
{He did call Oppo to confirm, but was told by other people the exact contrary! So he had to make sure!}

I don't own an Oppo, anyway I know you can use the two new Oppo BR players as music streamers from a NAS. To that purpose, you have to use the ethernet port you can find on the back panel (it works to stream movies from Netflix too...). Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
Using the same interface approach, you can play hi-rez files stored on a pendrive or an external HDD directly plugged to the Oppo through the USB port.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't own an Oppo, anyway I know you can use the two new Oppo BR players as music streamers from a NAS. To that purpose, you have to use the ethernet port you can find on the back panel (it works to stream movies from Netflix too...). Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
Using the same interface approach, you can play hi-rez files stored on a pendrive or an external HDD directly plugged to the Oppo through the USB port.

Thanks Valerio; indeed my friend found out about it! ...Regarding NAS.

* This is not one of my forte, but I appreciate your feedback which I will relate to him, from your additional information.
{He has already placed his order for the BDP-93; so he will find out soon enough on his own about his own personal usage. But streaming from the NAS files was his main concern.}

And by the way, Welcome to What's Best Forum! :) ...A very friendly place!

Bob

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
As you can read in this thread at AVSForum, the BDP-93 supports DLNA/UPnP functionality. Using software such as J. River Media Center on a computer will allow you to easily stream music to the Oppo. If using JRMC, you can control the music with a nice interface using a laptop or Android phone and the Gizmo app. According to Oppo's Wiki, both wav and FLAC files are supported for lossless audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing