Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Oppo BDP93 as DAC?

  1. #1
    Member Sponsor flez007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,708

    Oppo BDP93 as DAC?

    Hi all!

    I own this player an trying to use it as a DAC for mi iMac server, i misplaced its manual so I was wondering if this is possible or not.

    I have already plugged an USB cable from the USB port of the iMac to the only available USB jack at the Oppo, but looks it is not that simple since I do not get signal to my amp.

    Anyone out there who have tried and succeded trying this?

  2. #2
    Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,559
    My memory is a bit hazy but I recall researching this and the USB cannot be used for that purpose.
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada
    Posts
    10,556
    Regarding the Oppo BDP-93, can someone help this fellow here with his precise question?
    If yes I can report back to him (he's a friend).

    * Right here (his post): => Question On The Oppo BDP-93 BD Player

  4. #4
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    3,378
    Bob, the manual is online here: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP9...al%20v2.21.pdf

    The key material is on page 42. In particular, this states:

    'This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
    USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
    class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
    may not be compatible.'

    Cheers,
    Frank

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada
    Posts
    10,556
    Thanks Frank! ...His question was regarding if you can stream high res audio from NAS over the Internet.
    {He did call Oppo to confirm, but was told by other people the exact contrary! So he had to make sure!}

    * I proposed him to check over at AVS Forum; which he did, and yes the Oppo BDP-93 can!
    So now he has already ordered his BDP-93 BD player.

    TY,
    Bob

    P.S. There is sometimes a difference between what the manufacturer claims and what actually happens when owners are experimenting! ...You know what I mean...

  6. #6
    WBF Founding Member and Super Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,279
    If you have the Oppo connected via USB to the MacMini, you can look in the Audio MIDI setup panel to see if the Oppo is recognized as an output device choice. If so, it'll probably play OK.

    Lee
    Lee Aldridge

    I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

    http://LeeAldridge.thrivelife.com

    http://www.fightingconcepts.com

  7. #7
    Member Sponsor flez007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
    Bob, the manual is online here: http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP9...al%20v2.21.pdf

    The key material is on page 42. In particular, this states:

    'This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most
    USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device
    class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones
    may not be compatible.'

    Cheers,
    Frank
    Thanks Frank, it looks that the USB port at the Oppo is not intended to serve as an input to the DAC and drive the iMac as server....
    Last edited by flez007; 03-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Addicted to Best! docvale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
    His question was regarding if you can stream high res audio from NAS over the Internet.
    {He did call Oppo to confirm, but was told by other people the exact contrary! So he had to make sure!}
    I don't own an Oppo, anyway I know you can use the two new Oppo BR players as music streamers from a NAS. To that purpose, you have to use the ethernet port you can find on the back panel (it works to stream movies from Netflix too...). Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
    Using the same interface approach, you can play hi-rez files stored on a pendrive or an external HDD directly plugged to the Oppo through the USB port.
    All the best,

    Valerio

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Victoria, Vancouver Island, B.C. - Canada
    Posts
    10,556
    Quote Originally Posted by docvale View Post
    I don't own an Oppo, anyway I know you can use the two new Oppo BR players as music streamers from a NAS. To that purpose, you have to use the ethernet port you can find on the back panel (it works to stream movies from Netflix too...). Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
    Using the same interface approach, you can play hi-rez files stored on a pendrive or an external HDD directly plugged to the Oppo through the USB port.
    Thanks Valerio; indeed my friend found out about it! ...Regarding NAS.

    * This is not one of my forte, but I appreciate your feedback which I will relate to him, from your additional information.
    {He has already placed his order for the BDP-93; so he will find out soon enough on his own about his own personal usage. But streaming from the NAS files was his main concern.}

    And by the way, Welcome to What's Best Forum! ...A very friendly place!

    Bob

  10. #10
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Elkhorn, NE
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by docvale View Post
    Unfortunately, I doubt you can enjoy a nice and user-friendly interface to play your favorite music, as the system should work based on a folder-navigation way.
    As you can read in this thread at AVSForum, the BDP-93 supports DLNA/UPnP functionality. Using software such as J. River Media Center on a computer will allow you to easily stream music to the Oppo. If using JRMC, you can control the music with a nice interface using a laptop or Android phone and the Gizmo app. According to Oppo's Wiki, both wav and FLAC files are supported for lossless audio.

Similar Threads

  1. Playback Designs DAC vs. Scarlatti DAC
    By caesar in forum Computer Based Music Servers
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 05:20 AM
  2. Oppo BDP 93 State of The Art for $500 if you have a DAC
    By Mobiusman in forum Digital: DAC, Transport, Digital Processing
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
  3. Oppo's newest BD player
    By RBFC in forum Oppo Blu-ray Players
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM
  4. Wish list for Oppo players
    By amirm in forum Oppo Blu-ray Players
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •