Spectral Reviews - myth or fact?

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I read somewhere that Spectral does not loan out equipment for audio reviews, and that this is viewed by some as contributing to a mystique about the product line.

Myth or fact?

If you click on the review button there are four or five reviews, seems kind of low considering the name is so well known.

Link:
http://www.spectralaudio.com/

What's up with that?

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants about it, just want to hear an informed opinion or two about it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I read somewhere that Spectral does not loan out equipment for audio reviews, and that this is viewed by some as contributing to a mystique about the product line.

Myth or fact?

If you click on the review button there are four or five reviews, seems kind of low considering the name is so well known.

Link:
http://www.spectralaudio.com/

What's up with that?

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants about it, just want to hear an informed opinion or two about it.

It's a combination of things. Spectral is not that interested in a review since they have plenty of business without a review. There are many manufacturers (even say small start ups) who are quite happy with their volume of business and possibly couldn't meet demand if they had a great review. For instance, Quicksilver won't lend equipment for review as they're happy with their business. One will rarely see an Audible Illusions review. Others are very selective as to whom they will allow reviewing their equipment eg. they only want an established, not a novice reviewer doing the comments. And so on.

The second is that that Spectral wants the reviewer to have all Spectral gear/MIT cables, etc for the review process. And they have good reason since there are certain synergies going on-in part because of their extremely wide bandwidth design. I know, I tried years ago when I talked to Rick Freyer.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes they are big on the whole-system approach (thus reviews must be as such). I never got the impression market share was ever their goal, and in fact I don't believe they have advertised more than twice, ever.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes they are big on the whole-system approach (thus reviews must be as such). I never got the impression market share was ever their goal, and in fact I don't believe they have advertised more than twice, ever.

I agree. I don't remember them advertising much. An occassional ad in TAS and Stereophile (?)

But I'd bank on they're big on customer loyalty and have a big market overseas particularly in HK.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes it looks like they have a huge following in Asia, and all of my used Spectral pieces have been sold to Japan.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am not a spectral owner (Not yet ?? ;) ) but an admirer of one of the consistently best gear in all Hi-Fi. Notice I used Hi-Fi, as in High Fidelity to the source. If you want additives look elsewhere. They have been consistently good and often verge on the Spectral-cular (sorry .... I couldn't help :eek:). They may require an education , since few people are really used to that kind of purity but once that's passed.. They are among the best I have heard...
Now for the review. I don't think Spectral is alone in that regard as mentioned by Myles and others. Yet it strikes me that they don't provide more items for review .. They are by the way as bullet-proof as they come once some precautions are taken ... It is odd to me that a manufacturer doesn't do what is necessary to sell their product , it is simply a matter pf pure survival, not marketshare. Aside from that another thing that pleases me about Spectral is the honesty they seem to have in their product which are truly special in their designs, using unusual and in some time patented topologies to arrive at their product. Spectral products are superior but their prices remain in the lower echelon of High End Audio .. I have some qualms with their "System Approach" , I have experienced Spectral-based that don't use MIT with excellent results. I must also add that I don't cotton to the MIT cable philosophy ..
I am looking forward for more opinions on Spectral as I have them in my mind for my next system ...

Frantz

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well, For Robert Harlleys' review of the Spectral SDR 4000 CD Processor, DMC 300 ss Linestage ( if you don't have a phono stage, I'm not going to call it a preamp)and DMA-360 mono amp. pg. 78 February 2009 Issue 190. Of course Mr. Harley is editor of the absolute sound. Also presnted in that same issue is the review of the dedicated cables and most importantly a review of Keith Johnson himself. System cost sans cables around $45k. Beyond the reach of most, but definitely competitive.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
George, that's the signature line. They have lesser priced modes and are an excellent used buy on Audiogon.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Frantz,

Spectral strongly recommends the "system approach" but of course you can mix and match once you have bought their products.

In my experience, I've had excellent results matching their preamps / linestages with the Forsell and Lamm M1.1 power amps. As for the older Spectral power amps, I've had excellent results with Audio Research, Klyne, and Conrad Johnson preamps and linestages.

As for Spectral / MIT, I had experienced excellent results with Spectral DMA 360 gen 2 connected to Sensory Power speaker cables.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Frantz,

my current combo is a 30SL/Gen 2 preamp driving the 360 Series 2's monos; previously, the same preamp drove a DMA-250 stereo amp. This combo can now be had used for $10K, so now that the DMA-260, is out I suggest you call around the US dealers and ask them to put on the list of used 250's. Although the 250 sounds a little hi-fi-like if you compare it with the monos (which sound so much like real music) and ultimately limited in power and control, I still think the combo is a killer for ten grand.

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Recently I have posted reviews of the DMA 50 and DMC 6 on Audiogon. Although these reviews are personal opinions by the observations made during the evaluation process. However these reviews are amateur in nature and only to provide some information on earlier gear. But being an ex CBS staffer for Columbia I due get the writing bug from time to time.

lolo77

Oct 31, 2010
By the way
Could someone send me a copy (scan) of the review of Absolute Sound of February
on DMC30SS, DMA 360MK2 and SDR4000pro
Impossible to find it in France.
I've taken a subscribtion to AS since March only!!!!

I thank you in advance.
laurent@voir-et-emouvoir.com

lolo77

Oct 31, 2010
thank you Amirm,
but I don't read chinese :eek:
if someone find Absolute sound issue.
@+

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why don't you contact them to buy it?

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
You can buy the TAS review online from avguide.com. I think it is TAS190. Please note that the review covered the 30SS, 4000Pro and 360 Series 1.

lolo77

Oct 31, 2010
I will do that today
the more simple in final.

I believe that it would be more complicated.
With pdf issue, it's easy… and perfect.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
In fact, the review covered the DMA-360 Series *2*

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing