Who Still Uses A Preamp

Who Uses A Separate Preamplifier vs Integrated Amp/Preamp

• Total voters

Stong

Apr 20, 2010
I am not sure how to answer the poll. I think the question is to ask is who uses a processor and (hence no pre-amp) and who uses (stereo) pre-amp/power-amp. My use of stereo pre-amp is outside of my main theater where I used it predominantly as volume control past DACs being fed from digital sources. PC volume controls have traditionally been poor performers so you are better off setting that level to max, and then controlling it outboard. In my theater, I use the processor. In all cases, I use separate amplification.

What do you all do? Have complete parallel setups for analog/LP listening and theater? Or is the latter not in play?

Hi ,

I agreed it is a hard question/questions.
I started with Preamp/Power-amp setup with an external processor and that is only for DTS/DD for a 5.1 setup. And due to space constraint at home,try opting for an Integrated AV Amp. And for comparison, a Pre/Power amp/Processor indeed deliver a better sounding for both musical and HTS. Integrated Amp didn't fail either, an all-in-one systems,easy to operate and space saving amp. BUT, it can't deliver the music I want for 2 channel output and SACD multi-channel listening. Not so detail, too strong bass,need to adjust every now and then.

Then, I love the multi-channel SACD format. Got a Krell Evo 505 SACD. My processor no longer be of use due to the analogue format. Asked myself, what should I do? I love DTS format, SACD format and sometimes DAC 2 channel output.

To cut a long stories short, got hold of the following my "all-in-one" systems despite the space constraint.

1) 2 channel - Preamp via CAST to SACD with Jadis Defy 7 power-amp for SACD 2 channel using front VR-4 SR MK3 speakers.
2) 2 Channel- Preamp with digital cable and DAC with tube power-amp using front VSA VR-4 SR MK3 speakers
3) 5 channel- PREPRO Belcanto via Krell EVO 505/Sony SACD/DVD with Krell TAS for both DTS/DD and Multi Channel SACD using front Bookself speakers.

LP is hook-up via Clearaudio P/stage to PREPRO BC and option output via Krell EVO 202 Theatre bypass for both tubes or solid-state listening.
All is in play depending on what I wanna hear.

Cheers.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
I use a Sonic Frontiers Line-2 SE+ preamp that is going to go when it will be dead beyond repair.I listen to a lot of analog
and use a separate phono stage too (SF Phono-1SE+).To my ears a tube preamp is a must, regardless if you use tubed or SS
final stages.Another cracking tubed pre I have is the Golden Tube SEP-3.This one has internal tubed phono board but external
power supply.I started with big SS intergraded amps ,moved to separates but when i first listened to tubes there was no going back.
It still is this way...and i can live with a bit more cables!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

People .. there are pure Tubes and hybrid integrated amplifiers with tubes in the preamp stages and SS in amps ... so what gives? HT Bypass is easy with integrated..So ... really ...What gives?

Frantz

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
It's the old say about being a jack of all trades...I would opt for a separate preamp and a separate phono preamp and separate final stages.
There are no space constraints regarding power supply,optimal layout of parts on the boards,special considerations can be met ,heat management
is better,even EMI/RFI rejection can be applied with better results.All these for the cost of some extra cables ,more connections,more units on your rack
and less cash in your bank account.BUT the day they will put it ALL in one box will be the day that high end audio will die as a hobby...
Nobody opens his plasma TV to install a better processor...The thing that draws us all in this bandwagon, is the fact that we can change specific units of the system to make it
sound more to our tastes.Just my opinion!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sound

huh .. We don't do to our speakers most of the time ... I tend to believe this is about music reproduction so if a compoent does that cometently in whatever form .. Shouldn't we leave it alone ?

We exchange between preamps and amps are Cables and for some Tubes .. That can be done in an integrated .. except for the cables, an issue whcih as I have stated here I no longer give much weight to ..

Frantz

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Frantz,i don't think that high end has anything to do with letting things be if they seemingly make a good excuse of their existence!
I have tweaked perfectly performing units just to see if i could make them any better!
By decomposing larger unities we can focus on minute problems that on the long run make the sound better.
By changing amps preamps tubes AND cables we can tailor the sound to our tastes.This is what the whole game is about!
It's not about being faithful to the original,it never was!
BTW i made major improvements to each and every speaker that i had till now.It's the first place to start tweaking!
And cables do play a massive role, not as major ingredients of a system, but as spices in a perfectly cooked meal!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use a Jadis JPL line stage for my CD/DAC and an ARC PH3 as phono stage. I like the combo.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I use a Jadis JPL line stage for my CD/DAC and an ARC PH3 as phono stage. I like the combo.

Interesting! Why did you choose the ARC phono over the Jadis phono. As I recall, the Jadis phono had gobs of gain--but always seemed to have a sensitivity to microphonics.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It just dawned on me that the 3 pres I have left all have tubes in them. Why might that be? :p

In the HT goes my old trusty BAT VK-31 SE Superpack for HT Bypass

Into the bedroom goes the Lamm LL2 Deluxe Military Mullard-ed to death

Into the Music Room well... a hybrid Lamm L2 Reference

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It just dawned on me that the 3 pres I have left all have tubes in them. Why might that be? :p

In the HT goes my old trusty BAT VK-31 SE Superpack for HT Bypass

Into the bedroom goes the Lamm LL2 Deluxe Military Mullard-ed to death

Into the Music Room well... a hybrid Lamm L2 Reference

jack

what room are you putting the new LL1 Signature :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahahaha. The appropriate question is "What room will my wife force me to sleep in when I get the LL1 Signatures?"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In that case............I think I can live with that!!!!!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting! Why did you choose the ARC phono over the Jadis phono. As I recall, the Jadis phono had gobs of gain--but always seemed to have a sensitivity to microphonics.

Hi Myles,

Well, the other option I had was to get a Jadis JP80 pre that has a built in MC phono stage but the cost of that is a lot lot more than the ARC Ph3 which sounded quite neutral to me and when I wanted a tad more sweetness, I rolled the stock 6922s with Mullard CV2492s and I got the sound I wanted - a combination of speed, clarity, and a little 'sweetness'. The JP80 is an fine sounding pre-amp. It would have been perfect for my system.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Since I'm new here,might as well share my experience. I have a Accuphase C200,actually two of them, both are recapped and both sound different. Besides being extemely quiet the are mighty versatile. With 6 rtr's and 2 turntables and a DAC,tuner,ect I need all the options I can get. Besides they also have 2 sets of outputs so I can use 4 monoblocks. Oh and they have many switched and unswitched female plugs. I'm probably forgetting some features that I don't use like tone and balance,stereo reverse,stuff like that.

Someday I'll probably get another one just to experiment recapping it.

It's the only preamp I ever had that makes me laugh.
Roger

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What caps did you use in Accuphase Roger?

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Someday I'll probably get another one just to experiment recapping it.

I have an Accuphase E-202, a contemporary of your C200. It's sitting unused outside in the shed. I've long thought about recapping it. The build quality is incredible. Used as a preamp it has incredible flexibility. I'm not sure I need it but it might be fun to bring the old Accuphase back up to spec.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What caps did you use in Accuphase Roger?

Myles I used blackgates N&NX series and panasonic film caps in one and the other I used Nichicon fine gold muse and film caps. As expected the BG preamp is more detailed than the Nichicon. I like both very much,currently using the BG version but I switch from time to time.

Jay I would certainly pull the ole girl out of the shed and dress her up. Elna has the Silmic II's that would do nicely or Rubycon has a new series also. Be sure to add a 3 prong IEC as they are very high end PC friendly. Most of the resistors were matched from the factory so if replacing some if needed, only if bad. The early Accuphase were exceptional but they now need to be recapped. The one thing that makes a recap easy is that they have pull out boards. Just do it.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have my original Accuphase E202 stored retired at this point upstairs.

As to the question do I still use a Preamp in my system, yes I use an upgraded (modified) Audio Research LS10 SS Line Stage Preamp. I run all of my 2 channel system through it and my Soundsmith Strain Gauge 410 Phono Preamp feeds my Teres Certus 450 Tutntable to the LS10. Additionally, the LS10 is run through Home Theater Bypass into my upgraded Onkyo PR-SC885 Pre/Pro for multichannel playback.

Rich

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Me I am afraid.

My cj ART3 running my 3 phono stages/4 turntables aint going anywhere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing