Who Still Uses A Preamp

Who Uses A Separate Preamplifier vs Integrated Amp/Preamp

• Total voters

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I've been enjoying the amazing Denon AVP-A1HD preamp for the last five+ years. This 70lb beast is incredibly clean, super quiet and drives my all balanced downstream setup incredibly well. It's kept current with processing modes and as of now in 2013, there is nothing on the market I'd replace it with.

Internal architecture and build-quality is very good.

Here's a pic with the top cover off:

AVPA1HDOpenView_sm.jpg

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
What do you all do? Have complete parallel setups for analog/LP listening and theater? Or is the latter not in play?
I have only one real system in each home and both are fundamentally multichannel. Considering all the source options now for decoding and streaming, I just added an Audio Research MP-1 to the main system in order to provide an alternative to running everything through a processor, even one with an analog pass-through.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I love my Concert Fidelity linestage with SS amps.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Having been a long time advocate of the no-preamp route whenever possible, I have recently converted back to the preamp school of thought, courtesy of the arrival of the ARC Ref 5SE.

I still believe that the only way to beat a well implemented VC in the DAC is with a cost no object reference preamp, BUT I also believe the ARC Ref5SE has made this level of performance available at an almost realistic pricepoint, hence my conversion.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I am not sure how to answer the poll. I think the question is to ask is who uses a processor and (hence no pre-amp) and who uses (stereo) pre-amp/power-amp. My use of stereo pre-amp is outside of my main theater where I used it predominantly as volume control past DACs being fed from digital sources. PC volume controls have traditionally been poor performers so you are better off setting that level to max, and then controlling it outboard. In my theater, I use the processor. In all cases, I use separate amplification.

What do you all do? Have complete parallel setups for analog/LP listening and theater? Or is the latter not in play?

I use a Lindemann 830S preamp for stereo listening and it's "theater" mode to pass stereo from my Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro for HT.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Steve,

Is it tough to volume match left and right with that configuration (independent volume controls) ?

I had dual volume controls on my Klimo Merlin, and it is pretty easy by ear.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

Is it tough to volume match left and right with that configuration (independent volume controls) ?

Not at all. The potentiometer that Vlad uses in each channel are identical. In other words each click on one is identical to the other channel. This is not done by ear. There are clicks in the potentiometer and each gain is identical. Best preamp I've ever used but I am biased

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
I definitely still use a linestage: my Rowland Criterion is being fed by an Esoteric X-01, and for the past year has been feeding a pair of Rowland M725 monos. In a couple of days, Criterion will start feeding my new pair of Rowland M925 quad-chassis monos. If you are interested in following my new audio adventure, join me at:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Break-in-Notes&p=193754&viewfull=1#post193754

Saluti, Guido

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Here is my effort. Home made jobbie (not by me). Circuit is kondo line stage knock off. One x 6x4 rectifier in power supply one x 5687 triode. Dead simple and sounds great, reliable as buggery and kind on tubes. Best components used shinkoh's good electrolytics and the last couple of years I've used Dueland output caps. This is one component I don't think I will ever need to upgrade. This is a two box jobbie as follows

Power supply

Pre

The only upgrade I have ever feel needed doing on this Preamp

Reactions: CharlieE

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing