NOS 6922 Recommendations

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I only had one pair of Bugle Boys and they were a weak measuring pair. So my experience with Amperex tubes is extremely limited. As far as Mullards go, the difference in character can vary so much between factories, production runs and actual models that it is very difficult to make generalizations e.g. that Mullards are mid centric. This isn't the case with the CV2492s which are more linear than all other varieties I've had which are the ecc88s, e88ccs and various "gold pins".

I now rotate between four types the CV2492, Tele CCa redtips, Siemens CCas, and just added the Valvo 7308s that were CCa types from the Holland Amperex factory. I'm enjoying the latter immensely now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I only had one pair of Bugle Boys and they were a weak measuring pair. So my experience with Amperex tubes is extremely limited. As far as Mullards go, the difference in character can vary so much between factories, production runs and actual models that it is very difficult to make generalizations e.g. that Mullards are mid centric. This isn't the case with the CV2492s which are more linear than all other varieties I've had which are the ecc88s, e88ccs and various "gold pins".

I now rotate between four types the CV2492, Tele CCa redtips, Siemens CCas, and just added the Valvo 7308s that were CCa types from the Holland Amperex factory. I'm enjoying the latter immensely now.
Thanks! i have decided to leave them in having recalibrated the sub a tiny bit...and see how it sounds over the course of the weekend and this week. With new speaker cables coming in...no sense getting too focused on calibration.

So far, so good. The upper mids, treble are far superior in detail, decay and the 'solidity of the signal'. Also much more refined without sounding soft. The bass has improved after i put Finite Elemente Resonators over both plexiglass tube covers of the GAT. Strange...no idea why...except that when i had them off i put my fingers around the the EAT tube dampers and you could feel the vibration on bass thwacks...perhaps the Resonators help that much more?

In any event, deep bass more extended, and the 'problem area'...upper bass has returned and am now trying to fine tune it...perhaps a bit too powerful at the moment with a touch less detail than i would prefer...letting things settle in.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes these Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P or 6H23n as they're often refered to in the states are definitely direct, drop-in replacements for 6DJ8 or 6922 tubes ---**6922 tubes are what were in my GoldeNote Stibbert CD player when I purchased it}--- I know this because I sold over 200/prs of these Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes and I didn't receive 1 single complaint! Just be careful you're 100% sure you're purchasing Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes and not Reflektor 6N23P, 6N23P-EB or 6N23P-EV, because you might hear a couple say they like these Refektors, but the vast majority don't! To be 100% sure you're purchasing Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes go to this site first. It will show you what the logo for different russian companies look like: http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html Now go to this eBay AD and there's a pair of the Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes for sale: http://tinyurl.com/73yue38 you'll easily be able to determine these are definitely the Voskhod "rocket-logo" 6N23P tubes you're looking for! Good luck and if you have my questions or don't win these tubes you email me at thetubeguy1954(at)yahoo(dot)com and I'll see if I can help you. Just don't pay too much for these tubes as this guy wants $27 to ship them to the USA

Amazing...i just spoke with Kevin at Upscale Audio...and he said for those with preamps that eat tubes (like my CJ GAT)...he strongly recommended this exact tube. Am investigating further now...thanks!!!

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I bought quite a few of those Voskhods on eBay a while ago. I really liked them, with the caveat that some were noisy. I ended up with Amperex 7308 instead, but I think there's something that the Voskhods brought to the table that I'm still missing.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Lloyd

Let me know how they sound when you get a hold of two

My Telefunken e88cc/ 6922's have been working for 12 months and still going strong

I should have bought some more as Kevin has put each tube up by $50 :-(

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I bought quite a few of those Voskhods on eBay a while ago. I really liked them, with the caveat that some were noisy. I ended up with Amperex 7308 instead, but I think there's something that the Voskhods brought to the table that I'm still missing.

Interesting and good to know. If i can get some, i will give those Voskhods a try...i am told they can stand up to a lot of punishment (Audible Illusions, etc) and also can be very quiet. BTW, I use the Amperex 7308 in my Zanden DAC and think it's great.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd

Let me know how they sound when you get a hold of two

My Telefunken e88cc/ 6922's have been working for 12 months and still going strong

I should have bought some more as Kevin has put each tube up by $50 :-(

Great to know...my one Tele from Kevin has been quiet as a champ for 6 months so far...the other channel is a Mullard which is also quiet...slight mismatch but at least its quiet all around, and since i listen off-axis, i am not really hearing too much L/R discrepancy. In fact, it blends a bit between having 2 of one or the other. I prefer quiet and blended than hissy anyday.

I did briefly have 2 Teles in my GAT before one went quiet...a nice combination but a bit liter than what i've got now (again, blended)...and i might even like this combo in terms of tonal weight! We'll see when i put the Tele back in.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Amazing...i just spoke with Kevin at Upscale Audio...and he said for those with preamps that eat tubes (like my CJ GAT)...he strongly recommended this exact tube. Am investigating further now...thanks!!!

Lloyd, these are the tubes I recommended to you last year. I preferred them to amperex 6dj8 and 7308 in my old CJ 140 amp. Is hard to go far wrong for the price.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, these are the tubes I recommended to you last year. I preferred them to amperex 6dj8 and 7308 in my old CJ 140 amp. Is hard to go far wrong for the price.

Indeed you did! I now remember that...thank you. At the time, i had just discovered new Mullards and was delighted with them (still am), and only just went to Teles when those Mullards went noisy after a year. If you know of a reliable source, please let me know! Thanks, SA.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Interesting and good to know. If i can get some, i will give those Voskhods a try...i am told they can stand up to a lot of punishment (Audible Illusions, etc) and also can be very quiet. BTW, I use the Amperex 7308 in my Zanden DAC and think it's great.

Those Russian "Rocket Logo" 6922's are pretty decent for current production tubes. They do indeed have a fairly even presentation with perhaps a somewhat "live" sound. Buy a few pairs (they are cheap enough) and try cryo'ing some. After another round of break-in you might be surprised at how they improve further.

thetubeguy1954

Feb 7, 2012
Orlando, Fl.
groups.yahoo.com

Lloyd these Voskhod "Rocket Logo" tubes are sooo good ---{in some components they seem to require about a 100hr "burn-in" before they hear what these tubes can do}--- that one of my clients who actually called me a fraud when I posted my first 100 pairs of these tubes for sale on Audiogon! Later told me that after listening to them in his audio component they sounded so close to his Telefunken Cca tubes that he sold the Telefunkens and ordered the additional 10 pairs of Voskhods! In another email I received from him, he apologized for calling me a fraud. I told him I was so secure in what I said about these tubes sounding amazingly good, that I included a new paragraph in my AD that stated: "Anyone who purchases a pair, or however many tubes are needed for your given audio component, has 3 weeks to listen to these tubes in your audio component at home. If after 21 days you aren't 100% satisfied with how these Voskhod 6H23n tubes sound. Either give me a call or send me an email. I'll then issue you an RMA # and upon receipt of the tubes in good working order, I'll refund all of your money accept $20 for my time involved in wrapping, boxing and then driving to the Post Office to send them! Of course, like any tube you'll always find a couple of nay-sayers, but I sold well over 300+ pairs of these Voskhod 6H23n tubes and only had to replace 1 tube that the client insisted arrived dead. I of course sent him a pair of the tubes for his inconvenience! I personally don't know of one person who hasn't been thoroughly pleased with their tonal balance top-to-bottom, their soundstaging capabilities, wonderful articulation without sounding etched, etc., etc. and that's comparing directly to ANY 6922, 6DJ8, 7308 or Cca! But then when you factor in their relative inexpensive cost, they're simply unbeatable IHMO! Good luck in whatever choices you make!

Tawalile

Sep 25, 2015
Looking for 6H23n-EB cryo tubes

I´d thank you inform me where can I buy 6H23n-EB cryogenized tubes.
Since I used to buy to Upscale Audio and Kevin Deal has no more in stock, I simply cannot find other serious seller who makes test and match quartets.

Thank you in advance
Tawalile

Sablon

Jun 1, 2014
I´d thank you inform me where can I buy 6H23n-EB cryogenized tubes.
Since I used to buy to Upscale Audio and Kevin Deal has no more in stock, I simply cannot find other serious seller who makes test and match quartets.

Thank you in advance
Tawalile

Try www.tubeman.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing