Moderator's background

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been into hi fi since I was 15 yrs old, starting with an Akai system and Thorens turntable. One day, I bought an obscure LP (large 45-rpm in fact) by some unknown label called Reference Recordings - the name caught my eye. The recording was Kronos In Formation and it looked interesting. This was my first jaw-dropping experience, ca 1980. In the credits section of the LP, thanks were given to a variety of people, two from some completely unknown company to me, Spectral Audio Associates.

After finally reading about Spectral electronics in the late 80's, it wasn't until 1995 when I finally got a DMC-12 for an in-home audition. The experience was so thrilling I ordered one of their amps sight unseen - that was my foray into the high end. I have been using their electronics since then, although I have no industry affiliation whatsoever, and in fact, I have gladly and promptly replaced some of their products with more worthy ones, like the SDR-2000 DAC for a Berkeley Alpha DAC, and have on occasion been very critical of some of their products.

More details on what sold me on this line of electronics in a bit. Meantime, if there are other Spectral owners out there, we would all love to hear your story.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Continuing on the above, I was sold long long ago on the merits of fast electronics for accurate sound reproduction, transmission-line theory and the fastest rendering by loudspeakers for true articulation. When I first analyzed Spectral's approach it made crystal clear sense to me - ultra-wide bandwidth to achieve the best speed in order to be able to follow the waveform more accurately, coupled with optimally-calculated transmission lines. From a loudspeaker perspective, electrostatics just make sense to me, and their speed is their best attribute. They have their own limitations, but you have to spend quite a lot more to beat them.

I am glad to see that fast ultra-wide bandwidth electronics are now appearing from other manufacturers as well, like Soulution; recent amplification offerings from Spectral and Soulution seem to be sitting at the top of solid state designs, and if one were to take a listen they would understand why. Yet other manufacturers are also big on transmission line theory - see http://www.fmacoustics.com/pdf/audiophilpoweramp.pdf

Another aspect that attracts me to Spectral is their spartan spending on advertisements (just two ads, ever) and using the same industrial design for decades now, which also reduces costs dramatically. Where they don't go cheap is, of course, design and implementation. Reflecting all that on their pricing, which according to their review in TAS in 2009 is based on 3X the wholesale parts cost, it makes their gear a tremendous bargain that competes with the very best (or so I hear). One look at the innards of their products and you can easily tell the quality behind (see my own album's pictures); that type of quality has been there literally for decades.

The Spectral sound has evolved over the years that I've been a customer - from a huge-but-diffuse soundstage, to a huge-walk-around with pinpoint imaging; from the somewhat dark (SDR-2000 DAC) to the live (SDR-4000 Pro player); from the analytical and surgical to purely natural. They have a reputation for producing neutral equipment, but given my experience I don't see what was so neutral about anything they produced a decade or more ago. Today's products certainly do sound like that to me, and there is always the possibility I am wrong :) But truth be told, they sure sound stunning to these ears.

My biggest quest lately has been the search for better speakers. That will follow later on; for now, on the short list, I have the ML CLX, the Magico Q5, Evolution Acoustics and German Physiks; and the list may grow.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Interesting that you mention FM Acoustic. Last week, while traveling in Hong Kong, I was able to listen to a system using the 47 lab flat fish cd transport, Berkeley dac, and Magico mini 2 speakers. Over a span of three days, the amps that were used for this system were the FM Acoustic 108 mono blocks, the Spectral DMA 200S stereo amp, and the FM Acoustic 1811 stereo amp. The best sound was created by the FM Acoustic 1811. The sound was so real, detailed, and quiet. This system is a dream.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I became very curious about Spectral's amplifiers so I asked mullard88, if he could set up one of his all Spectral/MIT rigs. I was expecting a dry analytical sound, ala Halcro (no offense Halcro owners) as is Spectral's undeserved stereotype. The sound was smooth, had body and had a lit quality. They were indeed neutral but this is not to say that I don't think the 350s have their own sound. They appear to have a distinct way of delivering harmonic content and it is in a colorful, prismatic way just like the preamps do. That's what I meant by "a lit" quality. Now I said colorful not colored as the timbre was very true. It was more about how the sounds project outwards from points in the soundstage. A different kind of bloom if you will. One with a sense of consistent velocity. Come to think of it, it is present in some measure on all my RR LPs as well.

All in all, while I was expecting a sound that would be technically correct, I was very pleasantly surprised to be met by a sound that was beguiling and quite original in its presentation. I can now say I understand what the hoopla is about. Now it's got me thinking that the Avalon/Spectral/MIT ads which were all about speed, might have actually been more of a disservice by focusing on just one out of many things the Spectrals do very well.

Thanks Mullard, I know it must have been a bear to pack away the Forsell amps and switch speakers to the Metaphors to boot just to satisfy your buddy's curiosity. It was very much appreciated!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
You're welcome JackD201. Switching components around is one of my favorite activities in this hobby. It is also my chance to do a little exercise. It was not much trouble as the Forsell had been switched to the Spectrals a few months ago when I was experimenting with the Rogers LS3/5A speakers. The only switch that had to be done was take out the Rogers LS3/5A to install the Metaphors. I'm contemplating a switch from the Metaphors to the Magnepan 1.6 speakers in the near future. It was a pleasure to have you over and thanks for bringing along the lps, specially Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no. 2. I look forward to our next listen.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Now it's got me thinking that the Avalon/Spectral/MIT ads which were all about speed, might have actually been more of a disservice

They were touting that because speed is probably the single most significant factor in being able to follow a waveform as precisely as possible IMO (and everyone feel free to correct me on this), while not discounting many other factors either. Interestingly enough, one still rarely finds ultra-fast solid state electronics even to this day, except probably for Spectral, FM Acoustics and Soulution, and perhaps a couple of others. I am sure it's extremely challenging to come up with such circuits and there must be numerous trade-offs to consider.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They were touting that because speed is probably the single most significant factor in being able to follow a waveform as precisely as possible IMO (and everyone feel free to correct me on this), while not discounting many other factors either. Interestingly enough, one still rarely finds ultra-fast solid state electronics even to this day, except probably for Spectral, FM Acoustics and Soulution, and perhaps a couple of others. I am sure it's extremely challenging to come up with such circuits and there must be numerous trade-offs to consider.

As it was pointed ot me, don't forget Atma-sphere 600v/ms!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Indeed. BTW, there is an amazing thread on agon on negative feedback if you haven't seen it, where Ralph is exhibiting his galactic technological know-how...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing