Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hear the MA-3?

easy to find out

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    So, after 6 years since this thread began, has anyone heard the MA-3? There are no reviews and no prices that I could find online.
    Does anyone know how much a pair costs?
    Just email Ralph and ask. He is the most helpful guy in the industry....I am sure they are north of 100K in any event.

So, after 6 years since this thread began, has anyone heard the MA-3? There are no reviews and no prices that I could find online.
    Very few exist, and I doubt that anyone has heard them. They go for roughly $147k/pair.

A pair were on static display at THE Show at the St. Tropez in Las Vegas in I believe January 2004. A sight to behold.

They are unique in that they have built in power conditioning and are capable of full output power even when the voltage out of the wall sags to as little as 100 volts. They also have built in tube testing. The 42 output tubes (6AS7G) in each are configured in 3 banks of 14 tubes each, which can be switched on or off depending upon listening conditions. Like all Atma-Sphere OTL amplifiers, there is a single stage of gain, no global feedback, and full Class A operation, all triode. The MA-3s put out 500 watts into virtually any load, yet they are pretty darn efficient, so heat output would be less than what you might guess.
    Last edited by Brian Walsh; 06-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    Brian Walsh
    Analog Expert / Showroom Manager
    musicdirect

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Walsh View Post
    Very few exist, and I doubt that anyone has heard them. They go for roughly $147k/pair.

A pair were on static display at THE Show at the St. Tropez in Las Vegas in I believe January 2004. A sight to behold.

They are unique in that they have built in power conditioning and are capable of full output power even when the voltage out of the wall sags to as little as 100 volts. They also have built in tube testing. The 42 output tubes (6AS7G) in each are configured in 3 banks of 14 tubes each, which can be switched on or off depending upon listening conditions. Like all Atma-Sphere OTL amplifiers, there is a single stage of gain, no global feedback, and full Class A operation, all triode. The MA-3s put out 500 watts into virtually any load, yet they are pretty darn efficient, so heat output would be less than what you might guess.

Thanks, Brian!

Sounds like a great product, especially considering a pure class A output of 500W into any load! That's like solid-state control with all the tube goodness.

If only there were reviews to understand how they sound...

I am using MA-1 mk3.3 long chassis and I heard the MA-2 before. They're simply amazing. But for the MA-3, I am also curious about how good it excels at its younger brothers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12