Axpona - Who's in?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone going? Since I missed RMAF in October, I decided to attend the Audio Expo North America, in Atlanta, next month. Looks like it's turning into a major audio event and the attending manufacturers' list is large.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hello guys!

I will be there all four days. Should be a good show. I went to a show volunteer orientation on Saturday. The show is being supported by Cardas Audio. The only down not is that the Goldmine record show is not happening due to some lack of work by the Goldmine staff. Fortunately it looks like Acoustic Sounds, May Audio Marketing (both always a good booth at RMAF) and possibly Music Direct will be there. They are also trying to get Criminal Records to have a booth as well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would normally be inclined to go but the thought of walking around downtown Atlanta and worrying about my safety gives me pause :). So from anyone who has gone before, how is the show? Is it worth making a long and "dangerous" trip from Pacific Northwest there?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I would normally be inclined to go but the thought of walking around downtown Atlanta and worrying about my safety gives me pause :). So from anyone who has gone before, how is the show? Is it worth making a long and "dangerous" trip from Pacific Northwest there?

Just don't wander around the streets at night by yourself. Stay as close as you can to the Sheraton. And when you do go anywhere, go with a group.

I've lived here a long time and the one time you could walk the streets of downtown unmolested was during the 96 Olympics. But once they brought back (or let back) all of the vagrants and bad guys (did they ship them off to Alabama?) it went downhill fast! Too bad and it's a really accurate picture of our crappy weak willed City government.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Last two years CEDIA has been at Atlanta. I did start to wonder, trying to find a place to a have bite to eat. I should have known something was strange as there was hardly any restaurant open. As I got further and further away, the situation got worse and worse until I wised up and hurried back to the hotel.

This is doing so much damage to downtown business. I have to believe CEDIA pulled out since so many people complained.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
This is a very short review of my visit to Axpona: This is based on about 30 to 45 minutes in their room

"The YG Acoustics $119,000 speakers are the best speaker I have ever heard and it was in a room that really was not treated. My wife, who claims she can't tell the differences between audio gear insisted that we return to the room before we left."

And their $18,000 entry model was probably the second best speaker I have ever heard.

Great product!!

More later.

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
My favorites were the MBL 101E and the Scaena rooms very dynamic and involving systems I found the YG sound while very dynamic a bit on the cool side for my tastes I like a more natural and musical speaker.

My honorable mention were to the Adam Tensors

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
My favorites were the MBL 101E and the Scaena rooms very dynamic and involving systems I found the YG sound while very dynamic a bit on the cool side for my tastes I like a more natural and musical speaker

Repman,

I would have definitely spent time in the Scaena room had I gone...I believe the amplification was from BAT.

repman

Apr 2, 2011
Kennesaw, Ga
Sam the Scaena's were definitely world class they were powered by the big BAT tubes , we hung out with those guys until around 10 or so after the show on Thursday and played some extraordinary music.

I have put these on my list of speakers I would absolutely consider owning in the future.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
My favorites were the MBL 101E and the Scaena rooms very dynamic and involving systems I found the YG sound while very dynamic a bit on the cool side for my tastes I like a more natural and musical speaker.

My honorable mention were to the Adam Tensors

Same here, the YG speakers were a touch bright and overly analytical. The MBL room and the Highwater Sound room (Horning speakers and Raven table) were my favorites. The Adams were okay but I think they were not as cohesive as a regular pair of Maggies. The Scaena room was terrific.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Sam the Scaena's were definitely world class they were powered by the big BAT tubes , we hung out with those guys until around 10 or so after the show on Thursday and played some extraordinary music.

The Scaena room was terrific.

Man, I should have gone :( I'm uncertain, but I believe the Scaena's may be one of HP's references...

One aspect of the Scaena's that intrigues me is its vertical array of drivers...I like to stand as well as sit while listening and my direct experience with this design implementation, i.e. line source - Beveridge Model II and III and MegaLine, can render experiences that suspend disbelief.

Without doubt, advances in crossover networks, material, modelling, etc. have resulted in superior driver integration -- in other words, I can deviate from the sweet spot along the vertical axis and not endure coarse frequency spectrum incongruities...there may exist other non-linearities/incongruities in this example as well.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Bump.

Who's going to Axpona 2012 this week? Terry and I will be arriving Thursday the 8th late morning.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Can anybody who is going check out the new speakers Bob Carver is debuting and kindly offer their impressions?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Peter, were you the only one that went this year?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
It looks like I'm the only one. RE: Carver's new speakers. They were designed by a team. A father-son team in Florida and Bob via long distance communication. The bass unit is a flat design to be installed flush behind a rack or within a wall. Bob was up late Saturday night tweeking the system with pink noise. It was sounding better and better as the show went on. Typical line source sound... huge soundstage with gobs of detail. A little off topic... we are producing a Carver "showcase." You'll be able to meet him (with me) and hear his life story and see the current products.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Peter. I ask only because of two things. First off, this thread is two years old and never really went anywhere. Secondly, I was scheduled to go but unfortunately life got in the way. The father and son team was James and Alex and I know all too well about the long distance thing. They are in Florida and Bob is in Washington State, while the other Bob is in the middle of the country. I also know about the issues presented with all of the needed gear not showing up on time, which accounts for the change in sound as the show went along. I apologize about the Carver "showcase", as you say.

I have met the two Bob's, James, Alex and the other folks involved and am friends with all of them. I know all about the current products and I even have prototypes in my house. All I was wondering about was how they sounded. I have had a chance to hear them before they were debuted and was just curious as to how they sounded now. That's all. Seeing as how you seem to be the only person who went here from this forum, I thought I'd ask. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
I assume you have been to Carver fest? I was scheduled to go last year but Top Audio Milan popped up. treitz3 please pm your name ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello. Peter. I am actually the one who started and has been hosting Carverfest for the past 5 years. I'm sad that you couldn't make it, though I can understand as to why. We had a great time, as always. Even though this past year, the tube amp build with Bob Carver took over the 'fest as we have known it to be. I feel no need for a PM, my real name is Tom Reitz. I would love nothing more than to have you attend this year. We will have many workshops, along with many a great rig featured. Thank you very much for the feedback.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing