Solid State Confessions

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A meagre system Oliver Twist would be proud of - EMU-0404 directly driving a DIY GainClone and Genesis Genre II loudspeakers. Music far, far better than it has any right to sound.

I love it! A $200 project studio interface/converter and a DIY amp! I'm a fan of the 0404. I don't have one at the moment but it is one of several pieces of cheap, stupid-good gear that put me off of high-end DACs altogether. But I thought the GFP-750 was a Nelson Pass design?

Tim

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
ATI amps recommended on his web site

Linkwitz recommends Adcom amps to power his Orions. If they're good enough for Sigfried, they're good enough for anybody.

His web site says he offers ATI amps for the Orions:

Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT6012 power amplifier, 12 x 60W

or

Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT1806 power amplifier, 6 x 180W

I used a 6 channel ATI 1506 for my three way active speakers for several years. No complaints. If they are good enough for Bill, they are good enough for Linkwitz. (g)

Bill

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I love it! A $200 project studio interface/converter and a DIY amp! I'm a fan of the 0404. I don't have one at the moment but it is one of several pieces of cheap, stupid-good gear that put me off of high-end DACs altogether. But I thought the GFP-750 was a Nelson Pass design?

Tim

Oops. Yes, you are right. The Son of the Bride of Zen.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Otherwise, you need to keep spare fuses and/or cathode resistors laying around. You also need to be able to use a DVM or have a milliamp meter.

I also find unacceptable a tube amplifier without fuse protection - happily some brands now use the Bussmann KTK Cartridge Fuses to effectively protect the B+ supply and the cathode resistors from tube shorts. And I am able to use a VOM since I was eleven, I only bought my DVM when I was over twenty!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm still using a Fluke 77 I bought well over 25 years ago and it works perfect. I have a few other DVMs, but this is the one I always grab.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm still using a Fluke 77 I bought well over 25 years ago and it works perfect. I have a few other DVMs, but this is the one I always grab.

Curious, mine is the same model and still working as new. Serial n 3475744, bought in London in Totenham Court Road at a time half its shops were electronic parts shops. A hobbyist dream!

Should we change the name of this thread to DVM confessions? :eek:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
directly driving a DIY GainClone and Genesis Genre II loudspeakers. Music far, far better than it has any right to sound.
Nothing wrong with that. My previous round of music making was done that way, using National chips, well sorted out power supply, effectively turning some old, decent Technic's speakers halfway into actives. Could drive 1910's Nellie Melba recordings to the point of the chip's internal limiting cutting in, clean as a whistle ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
His web site says he offers ATI amps for the Orions:

Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT6012 power amplifier, 12 x 60W

or

Amplifier Technologies Inc. AT1806 power amplifier, 6 x 180W

I used a 6 channel ATI 1506 for my three way active speakers for several years. No complaints. If they are good enough for Bill, they are good enough for Linkwitz. (g)

Bill

Right you are. He was recommending Adcoms at one point.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Oops. Yes, you are right. The Son of the Bride of Zen.

In the face of stuff like that Adcom, or even the 0404, throwing money at a problem almost seems like cheating. A $1200 preamp that is 12 years old and still competitive at the highest levels? That's throwing a prodigious amount of talent at a problem.

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
In the face of stuff like that Adcom, or even the 0404, throwing money at a problem almost seems like cheating. A $1200 preamp that is 12 years old and still competitive at the highest levels? That's throwing a prodigious amount of talent at a problem.

Tim

Yes, agreed..... and this is a preamp that has worked flawlessly and continuously for 12 years. The only thing I have that's older is my FM Acoustics 122 phono stage (15 years and counting) - but that one is cheating.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing