Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: The Cable Dialectic

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Interesting... In series with the panels, that puts in a rising frequency response starting a little below 500 Hz, presumably to help counter the falling panel impedance.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    Interesting... In series with the panels, that puts in a rising frequency response starting a little below 500 Hz, presumably to help counter the falling panel impedance.
    The cap offsets the panel's falling treble power response; the 1R5 maintains sufficient bass (<500 hz) and provides some amp protection if the panel shorts.

Bob
    Bob Walters

President, Bay Area Audiophile Society
    Mac Pro, MSB Analog DAC, Goldmund Amps, Quad 2905

Yeah, different ways of saying the same thing, sorry...

I wonder how much the series R impacts the LF performance. Planar magnetics and ESLs suffer from panel modulation, though ESLs much less so (and it is very design-dependent), thus perhaps it does not matter.

Most ESLs include a step-up transformer so the amp wouldn't see a direct (DC) short, but it (amp or xformer) certainly wouldn't like the AC short in any event.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    I wonder how much the series R impacts the LF performance.
    So do I. So I have some "Quad surgery" scheduled for this weekend. Careful work given voltages.

Bob
    Bob Walters

President, Bay Area Audiophile Society
    Mac Pro, MSB Analog DAC, Goldmund Amps, Quad 2905

I used to keep a few high-value (100k - 1M ohm) 1 - 5 W resistors around to place across the caps and ESL panels to make sure they were discharged. Same thing when I used to work on TVs (CRT days -- lost a watch to an anode arc once upon a time).
    Don Herman

Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    I'm glad that the thread got resurrected.

The two designs tell me that it is a preference. One - the one with greatest capacitance sounds sweet and smooth, but lacks details and resolution. The one with greatest inductance sounds warm and full bodied but timing was off. It needs to be somewhere in between the two, and you can achieve this by different combinations of wires.

Unfortunately, it is loudspeaker dependent.... so no one design works for every loudspeaker.

It gets back to that point (of original premise and understanding) that 'pressured' ion clouds don't really like solid lattice structures, that the lattice structures just happen to be a convenient pathway, in the given situation. That even with DC, we get noise. As soon as we go up into AC, we get into a situation where the fields are split or polarized into two states via something that could be termed a refractive equivalence, and inescapable issues entail. One where it is all tradeoffs for the specific situation that is at hand.
    Teo Audio

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415