The Cable Dialectic

untangle

Mar 11, 2011
Santa Clara, CA
baasnotes.com
Interesting... In series with the panels, that puts in a rising frequency response starting a little below 500 Hz, presumably to help counter the falling panel impedance.

The cap offsets the panel's falling treble power response; the 1R5 maintains sufficient bass (<500 hz) and provides some amp protection if the panel shorts.

Bob

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Yeah, different ways of saying the same thing, sorry...

I wonder how much the series R impacts the LF performance. Planar magnetics and ESLs suffer from panel modulation, though ESLs much less so (and it is very design-dependent), thus perhaps it does not matter.

Most ESLs include a step-up transformer so the amp wouldn't see a direct (DC) short, but it (amp or xformer) certainly wouldn't like the AC short in any event.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I used to keep a few high-value (100k - 1M ohm) 1 - 5 W resistors around to place across the caps and ESL panels to make sure they were discharged. Same thing when I used to work on TVs (CRT days -- lost a watch to an anode arc once upon a time).

KBK

Jan 3, 2013
I'm glad that the thread got resurrected.

The two designs tell me that it is a preference. One - the one with greatest capacitance sounds sweet and smooth, but lacks details and resolution. The one with greatest inductance sounds warm and full bodied but timing was off. It needs to be somewhere in between the two, and you can achieve this by different combinations of wires.

Unfortunately, it is loudspeaker dependent.... so no one design works for every loudspeaker.

It gets back to that point (of original premise and understanding) that 'pressured' ion clouds don't really like solid lattice structures, that the lattice structures just happen to be a convenient pathway, in the given situation. That even with DC, we get noise. As soon as we go up into AC, we get into a situation where the fields are split or polarized into two states via something that could be termed a refractive equivalence, and inescapable issues entail. One where it is all tradeoffs for the specific situation that is at hand.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing